• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Straight upshots/drives: Axiom Proxy vs Lat64 Pure

How does the Proxy compare to the Theory? Those two confuse the crap out of me for some reason.

How does the Proxy compare to the Theory? Those two confuse the crap out of me for some reason.

Proxy is a low profile, straight flying putter. Theory is an understable, but not "flippy," short-ish midrange.

At lower to even medium power, there will be some overlap between the Proxy and Theory, maybe, but the Proxy is really just straight, all the time. It's basically what you'd look for in a beat up Envy, if the Envy were capable of getting really beat up.

My .02, the Proxy is more HSS than the Theory for sure, and maybe on some throws it seems like the Proxy has a tick more LSS as well. Not that it ever really dumps, it's just maybe not quite as neutral finishing as the Theory. I think on anny shots that you really need to hold it, the Theory, like, leans into the anny better and holds it a bit better, so they can both cover that shot, but the Theory needs less angle to do it the same shot than the Proxy. The separation becomes clearer the harder you throw them.

Theory's not as deep in the hand, may be the biggest difference for the intermediate-type thrower.

If you're using the Theory more as an approach type mid rather than a rip-it driving mid, and already use something like the Envy for windy/more OS approaches, there may not be a reason to bag both.

The Theory is a tick more understable, even at approach distances. I feel like the Proxy wants to hold a hyzer line better, where the Theory wants to flip flat. But I agree that if you're not driving either of them, there will be some overlap.

You have to throw the theory just right to have it go US, most throws with me it goes OS. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it in my bag. Still dialing it in.

At lower to even medium power, there will be some overlap between the Proxy and Theory, maybe, but the Proxy is really just straight, all the time. It's basically what you'd look for in a beat up Envy, if the Envy were capable of getting really beat up.

My .02, the Proxy is more HSS than the Theory for sure, and maybe on some throws it seems like the Proxy has a tick more LSS as well. Not that it ever really dumps, it's just maybe not quite as neutral finishing as the Theory. I think on anny shots that you really need to hold it, the Theory, like, leans into the anny better and holds it a bit better, so they can both cover that shot, but the Theory needs less angle to do it the same shot than the Proxy. The separation becomes clearer the harder you throw them.

Theory's not as deep in the hand, may be the biggest difference for the intermediate-type thrower.

If you're using the Theory more as an approach type mid rather than a rip-it driving mid, and already use something like the Envy for windy/more OS approaches, there may not be a reason to bag both.

Nice summary. Thanks. Testing the Theory now vs my many Fuses. Proxy sounds like it is not needed. Cool.

Nice summary. Thanks. Testing the Theory now vs my many Fuses. Proxy sounds like it is not needed. Cool.

yeah, no sweat. It's the kind of statement that gets people hating on me here, but they can do a lot of the same things. I've got both in my 'big bag' right now, but mostly because both are in the tryout stage.

I've already hit metal like 4 times from 100-200 in like 3 rounds with the Proxy, so looks like it's in.

Still not 100% convinced I 'need' the Theory.

I'm a long time Proxy thrower and absolutely love it. It's the straightest disc in my bag and gets used for most of my upshots. It can be used for dead straight, annys, or hyzers (preferred for upshots if given an open field). Well today I tested a Pure and found it to be almost identical to my Proxy. Later in the the day I had a shoot off and dang these discs are close in every area from speed to glide to pure straightness and line holding. My testing was between a neutron Proxy and Opto Pure. I may switch to Pures just because they're made in soft hit and stick plastic but for drives with harder plastic these discs are pretty dang similar.

I am about to test a max weight champ Dart for this slot in my bag, but these suggestions sound great, I may have to try some :)

Pure is more like an envy and the spike would be more proxyish but still not as crazy straight as proxy.

A seasoned pure would be very similar to proxy. Love ripping on both!

The neutron ion in medium after a little wear is by far the straightest disc I have thrown. It took 5 years to beat one from that stage of straight to having a turn.
My experience is mostly with early runs, so hopefully someone else can chime in that the newer ones are this kind of money once a little broken in.

Opto pure is close, but does not have as high of a resistance to turn.

I bag an ion and proxy. Proxy for sure is straighter and "easier to throw" with its beadless design and more conventional feeling core/inside rim. Ions are like a opto pure with glide. The LSS is there when new for sure.

The proxy is a normal feeling polecat lol.

Pure is more like an envy and the spike would be more proxyish but still not as crazy straight as proxy.

A seasoned pure would be very similar to proxy. Love ripping on both!

Hmm... Interesting I was just out in a field testing 4 different molds for upshots and threw them many times back to back and found the Envy to have the most fade of any of the four. This is definitely splitting hairs as none of these discs have a much fade. It is important to point out that may Envy is a Soft Envy which I've been told has slightly more fade than regular Neutron so maybe that's the difference? I actually picked the Soft Envy based on recommendations from this board to give me the most separation between my Envy and Proxy. Based on my field testing from most stable to least of the four discs I just tested for upshot duties: Soft Envy>Star Stud>Neutron Proxy=Opto Pure. All of these discs are close but the differences are certainly noticeable to me with the exception of the Neutron Proxy and Opto Pure which I find too close to call.

I have the itch for a point and shoot, straight flying putter. I think I have it narrowed down to the Proxy and the Pure. How do they compare/differ? Could the judge be put into this category as well?

Thank you!

The Judge is a little more overstable than the Proxy or Pure, but you could certainly beat one in to cover this role. They feel very different than the Pure or Proxy do though.

I think both the Proxy and Pure are very good discs for this slot.

The biggest difference in flight is the Proxy has rock solid high speed stability no matter how far you throw it. The Pure will start to show a touch of turn past 230-250', and the effect becomes more pronounced as you get further out. Most people don't use putters in this range so this won't matter to them.

Rim feel is also different. The Pure has a flat bottom wing while the Proxy is just barely concave. The Pure also has a more rounded shoulder VS the flatter Proxy. Most people, including me, prefer flatter topped discs for forehand shots. I can't find the specifications for the Proxy height but I'm pretty sure I remember Pures felt just a touch taller. They both have 10mm wings.

The Pure is available in baseline, so there's that. The MVP Atom is pretty close to a baseline Proxy though.

I prefer the Proxy. It does better in the wind, holds truer lines thrown past 200', flicks better and fits my hand better than any other driving putter I've used.

That being said the way I use putters can be different than how a lot of players use them, so maybe the different plastic options mean more to you than how well either disc holds a laser straight line off the tee.

Here's a Proxy refusing to flip to flat, much less turn over, on a 400'+ throw

Last edited:
Maybe I got a freak Proxy, but my 173g soft neutron has a hint of turn. I can't put mine 400 but I can clear 300 on demand, but I've gotta put it on a fairly decent hyzer to keep it level. Released flat it's turning almost every time over 200. Never had a problem with OAT

I've bagged the same digi weight dayglow opto pure for three years. It has zero fade and a little flip out to 300. Brand new it was a point and shoot disc. I don't think the optos are like this anymore. Try a dyemax or gold line for the workhorse. Mediums season beautifully. Anniversary Grip Pures are perfect for touch shots and flip up drives.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Pure is nice, you might also try the Warden - beadless putter similar to the Judge.

Last edited:
My Opto Pure took a long time to get anywhere near as dead straight as my Proxy has been since new. The Proxy is what I'm bagging now because it fares better in the wind and is just more fun to throw. I consider it a "midrange Kitty" (slow, for a mid, and stubbornly neutral) even though it's really a "fast putter Polecat".

For the record, the JLS is a driver Kitty.

i used an opto pure for a long time, then tried switching to envy/proxy set up (a couple of times) i keep going back to the pures

I have a very seasoned Zero Hard pure and it still fades on touch approaches.While my new neutron proxy goes straight.
(Just buy a proxy damnit)

Latest posts