• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Strategy for Dealing with Heat?

jenb

* Ace Member *
The heat really got to me for the first time yesterday in the second round of a one day tournament. I had a poundeing headache and hurt all over and couldn't catch my breath. I had the hardest time finishing the round, and afterwards I had fever, chills, and bodyaches late into the night. Today, I feel better, but I'm very weak. I'm also four pounds lighter.

I'm really surprised, because it was only 90 degrees and about 50% humidity. I played in worse conditions a couple of weeks ago and didn't have this problem.

Also, I don't think it was dehydration. I hydrated for a couple of days beforehand, and I drank two liters of power aid zero during each round (four liters total). One indicator of dehydration is strong urine color, and mine was nice and clear after the round and all night, so I don't think it was dehydration. I've been really dehydrated before, and that involves nausea and basically feels like a violent hangover. This was different.

So what can I do to avoid this problem, other than what I am already doing? I have a two day tournament next weekend, and I don't want to have to DNF.

Make sure you bring a stool to give yourself breaks, find shade whenever possible, wear a wide brimmed hat, eat some to go with those fluids even if the heat makes you feel not hungry.

For me it's conditioning. The first few really hot rounds(or bike rides...whatever comes first) of the year are rough, but over time I adapt and deal with it better. In other words, just do it more, but perhaps start short and work up to longer durations.

That said, there's nothing wrong with accessorizing:

sombrero.jpg

and I hear these work really well(no experience with them myself, tho)

IMAG061A.JPG

Last edited:
Try one of these or freeze your water bottle before the round. Both work well for me. Also carry fewer discs, and bring some fruit.

Try one of these or freeze your water bottle before the round. Both work well for me. Also carry fewer discs, and bring some fruit.

I'm very glad Mike C is back. I'd love to do some serious Wizard work, and you are the man there. Now away from thread drifting.

I may be somewhat of a heat expert. This week were hitting 114-116 and I will certainly still be playing. I like to play 9-18 holes at a time with rest inbetween. I'll also make sure to sit down regularly (preferably in the shade. I usually drink nearly a full liter of water in a 9 hole stretch this time of the year. Even better than this is Mike CS advice of eating some fruit and taking discs out of your bag. There's no better time than the summer to be a minimalist. The difference you'll feel in energy level with 5+ discs out of got bag is pretty incredible. If you have any brand of starter bag or a nutsac I highly recommend making that switch. And if your course loops back to the parking lot and if it's possible don't be afraid to take a 5-10 minute break in your vehicles AC.

For me it's conditioning. The first few really hot rounds(or bike rides...whatever comes first) of the year are rough, but over time I adapt and deal with it better. In other words, just do it more, but perhaps start short and work up to longer durations.

That said, there's nothing wrong with accessorizing:

sombrero.jpg

and I hear these work really well(no experience with them myself, tho)

IMAG061A.JPG

I got a frogg togg and I gotta say, it works when it is wet with cold water, but after the water gets warm, I sometimes think it does more harm than good. Sure, you can add more water, but water is pretty heavy and I am usually focusing on keeping drinking water. To remedy this, I will have 2 bottles with me and a cooler full of water back at the car for between rounds.

A brimmed hat is something I am considering but I think I might go a little more casual than a full sombrero. lol

Good to have you back.

The power aid zero doesn't have any sugar at all. I've been on a low carb diet since November 15 (lost 70 pounds so far) so I won't take any fruit either. I basically just eat meat and green vegetables. Maybe a few almonds now and then.

I'll think about the wide brimmed hat. I saw a guy using an umbrella in the last tournament. Maybe I'll try that? I guess it's the same principal.

early signs of heat stroke.. same thing happened to me when last week. If it happens again you need to cool off your head with the quickness. I ended up laying under a water faucet for about five minutes and that helped.

The power aid zero doesn't have any sugar at all. I've been on a low carb diet since November 15 (lost 70 pounds so far) so I won't take any fruit either. I basically just eat meat and green vegetables. Maybe a few almonds now and then.

In that case bring some chopped up carrots or cucumber, or anything with high water content that you like to snack on.

i learned this in marching band and it kimd overlaps with finding a place to sit, but try not to lpck your knees when seating isnt available. ive seen too many people pass out because of this. i also stopped wearing tall socks recently because its so hot. ill take scratches on the legs if it keeps me cooler.

On a more serious note, I agree with many of the suggestions provided. If you feel like you're starting to feel the effects of the heat, find some shade, sit down and drink some water (not too much). Everyone's first reaction is to chug as much agua as possible, and that usually makes it worse. Swinging from the beginning symptoms of heat stroke to the beginning symptoms of hyponatremia (too much water intake) is not going to be a fun experience. :(

basically i would say that sports drinks are NOT a good substitute for water :\ .... both is ok, but you gotta do that H2O .... getting a tolerance to the heat does take soem time, especially our humid texas heat!! I alternate DG days with hiking.. and a six mile hike in this humidity is no joke. I usually carry about 2 gallons of water (and drink it all and sweat it all out too) and go in the most hot of the day... just to get used to it...but thats just me...... by august i can usuall stand outside middle of the day in a suit without sweating :D LOVE IT!

Wear white and live without A/C for the first 18 years of your life. :|

Did I get it right?.....

Ok.... I will try this again (dang it's gettin' hot in this forum.... ironic?)....

I would say that if you happen to be a little on the "heavier side", then that is probably not helping your "heat problem". Your best bet would be to consult your physician and ask him/her about your "overheating" situation out on the DG course and ask him/her what would be best for you.:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::hfive:

I have a cooler in my trunk that I keep my discs in, but it has just enough room leftover for me to put 2-3 frozen bottles of water in. That way I keep one with me, and next time I pass my car I re-stock up with ice water.

I'll think about the wide brimmed hat. I saw a guy using an umbrella in the last tournament. Maybe I'll try that? I guess it's the same principal.
A lot of your energy comes from carbs so you may want to rethink your diet at least on days you are going to be out in the heat doing any form of activity. It doesn't have to be anything drastic just a decently slow digesting carb that will stay with you through the round or tournament.

Latest posts