• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Suggestions on What to Throw on This Hole?

Zphix

Birdie Member
So, for the birdie hunters we have during tags nights, this hole is one of the last ones I need and I've only birdied this hole twice in my life so, needless to say, I'm inconsistent. Here's a pic of the hole (by the way, I think this picture is from a year or two ago because the tree canopy has gotten a bit tougher and higher, can still go over the top but most people that do that are throwing a tomahawk.)

5d623e88.jpg

So, I usually try to throw a forehand with a Thunderbird or FD3 and get it to skip but it's so inconsistent that it's not even funny - I have the power to throw over the top but don't like tomahawks. Is there any way to throw with a grenade grip and have the disc fade to the right, the other option I'm considering is throwing a gator on a sky anny and having it stable itself out?

Any thoughts from you guys?

EDIT: Not sure the picture shows it adequately, but this hole isn't really a dogleg right, it's more like a 90 degree angle. The end of the tree in the pic is pin high, so you'd really need to throw a tunnel shot that skips basically perpendicular which is why the forehand is so inconsistent.

Is the terrain clear enough for rollers?

Yes, but still kind of sketchy. If you make it past the first row of trees you see then a good 60% of the layout from that row to the pin has roots, divets, branches, etc. scattered all over the ground.

Basically, if the roller hooks in early it's like going to follow down a small hill towards the OB pavilion and if It hooks in long then you have to contend with roots, branches, etc.

Going by the photo my first choice would be a RHBH roller with a neutral putter (proxy in my case), throwing it straight down the fairway and letting the disc turn late in the roll to avoid the uneven ground closer to the tee.

Second choice would be flicking a neutral fairway (crave in my case) on a nose up stall hyzer, again playing it towards the middle of the fairway or slightly towards the right.

My OH game is weaksauce so I wouldn't go with that, but I could see that being a good option for those with more skill in that throwing style.

Can be tough to get a good read from a picture though. Might feel different if I saw it in person. Does seem like a tricky one, looks like a longer, tighter version of #2 at Renske.

Good Ol' Sgt Means?

Indeed! Do you plays tags on Thursdays/Sundays?

Yeah, I went out to the tee today and it's looking like a sky anny with a soft flex back is the shot - MD3 went too far right but that was with some wind knocking it down. I'm thinking maybe my domey gator would do the trick - otherwise I'll have to play around with different discs.

Anyhow, yeah, a lot of people play the forehand or roller route and it seems hit and miss to me - obviously no shot is going to park it there 100% of the time but I'm looking for the highest probability and over the top seems to be the best for me, in this case.

Theres a hole in watertown, wi that looks nearly identical to this.

Best option for me has been what you suggested; anny bomb something real OS over the top.

Probably tomahawk for me, since it sounds like an option and is in my comfort zone. What's the hole length (as the crow flies)?

I like rollers, so I'd probably go rhbh putter roller and hope for the late curl. Sky anny with something fairly OS would be second, but probably more consistent, option.

The anhyzer over the top looks like the most reliable option. Have you spent time on that hole throwing all the shots you think might work to figure out what works best for you?

An anhyzer (RHBH) up and over with an understable distance driver is what I'd practice over and over again

Indeed! Do you plays tags on Thursdays/Sundays?

Yeah, I went out to the tee today and it's looking like a sky anny with a soft flex back is the shot - MD3 went too far right but that was with some wind knocking it down. I'm thinking maybe my domey gator would do the trick - otherwise I'll have to play around with different discs.

Anyhow, yeah, a lot of people play the forehand or roller route and it seems hit and miss to me - obviously no shot is going to park it there 100% of the time but I'm looking for the highest probability and over the top seems to be the best for me, in this case.

Unfortunately, I haven't played tags out there yet, but I've heard great things about the crew out there. I started playing that course when they first planted the trees on that fairway, and knew that this would be a difficult shot in years to come. After not playing the sport for several years and going back out there it was fully what I expected and then some. I'm with you I go back and forth between roller and sky anhyzer.

What about the tomahawk do you not like? If it has to do with the grip, have you tried a thumber? (Flies the mirror image, but I see a lot of people using OH throws for straight-line-ish throws anyway, so that may not make a difference.) However, I know that a lot of people have shoulder/elbow issues that preclude the OH throws. If that's your situation then thumber is just as bad as a tomahawk.

Regarding FH: if you have the power to line drive & skip an OS fairway, then you should also be able to get the same distance on a lofted hyzer flip to flat that stalls & fades. Should work with a flippy fairway or a neutral/flippy mid. However, tough to tell from the picture if that line is viable. It's also a touchier throw.

(And, to tag on with the group consensus: If you're more comfortable with RHBH than RHFH, sky anny flex may be the best way to go.)

Latest posts