• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How and what to throw in any wind or hole shape?

SuperWookie

Birdie Member
Hey everyone, just looking for any good sites or blogs that have a comprehensive guide on what disc to throw and what line to throw on all different types of holes shapes and wind conditions? I can only find some generic info on the topic and would really like to start honing that type of info into my brain, to help me play much better, while my swing continues to struggle, but get better. I figure I can still lower my scores with better course management while I work on getting my distance and consistency up.

I find myself guessing often on holes that have confusing shapes with wind that doesn't help. Not knowing what type of disc I should be throwing based on the hole shape, the OB line, the tree line, and the wind. And not knowing what type of shot to throw (flex BH or FH, FH, high, low, disc up, disc down, etc). Why use a putter, mid or FW for the same shot? What will each disc do better or worse for me?

I only know some generic regular run of the mill strategy and end up too often in a bad situation, because I have no idea what to do. And especially once wind becomes a factor on holes with more difficult lines, I really get in trouble.

So just wondering if there are any really solid guides out there that discuss this stuff in detail?

Thanks

Also I really like the video series on this channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Bestdiscgolfdiscs

Recommend this too.

It's hard to recommend specific discs as everyone will have a different speed and other variables, as well as moving up over time (hopefully).

With wind, in general when it's behind you, the disc will not throw as far (unless given real height) and the turnover/fade will stretch out (come later). When it's coming at you, the disc will float up more (losing distance) and the turnover/fade will speed up and happen sooner.

There's also a disc golf pocket guide, which you can just print out if you don't wanna pay for it.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/930606470/disc-golf-pocket-guide

Grab a tilt and rip!

j/k

My strongest suggestion is to build a bag that can support this type of play and practice.

MVP makes this actually insanely easy with how they do their disc lines.

And then practice, of course. And one of the keys to getting into lines when its windy is this; Stop trying to throw far, and start trying to throw clean.

You gotta play the course and play your game.
If other guys bombing it 150 foot passed you, who cares. Play your game for the conditions. Sometimes it means eating some humble pie as you figure it out.

https://discgolf.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

Also highly recommend the recent release from Pete Ulibarri 3 part series on Scott Stokely youtube channel.

Also I really like the video series on this channel as well.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Bestdiscgolfdiscs

Excellent, thank you for those. I'll go through those and start making mental notes, as well as taking down quick cheat notes for when I'm on the course and may not remember everything.

Also, to the other response talking about "not knowing what specific disc to throw, everyone throws differently." I know that, I wasn't asking what "specific" dicsc to throw (ie a Thunderbird or an MD3, etc). I should have clarified better.

What I meant is, should I throw an U/S FW, or a straight to fade speed 9, into so and so wind with so and so hole shape. Hopefully those videos and articles get into that stuff. Thanks everyone

Throws are really hard to set in stone....if these circumstances exist, throw this stability on this type of throw. Throw a hyzer? Okay, how much of a hyzer? Give us both the exact same disc and we would most likely do two different amounts of hyzer to get to the same spot. Arm speed, height of throw, etc all play a part.

You gotta play the course and play your game.
If other guys bombing it 150 foot passed you, who cares. Play your game for the conditions. Sometimes it means eating some humble pie as you figure it out.[/QUOTE]

"Humble Pie", Clash discs should make a lightweight understable distance driver with that name.

For me I try to first think of what is an ok landing spot. Not great just ok. From there it will be a stable disc either forehand or back depending what fits best. When trust in the conditions is low I aim for ok results through the most simple path. Being agressive in those spots will most often just mean more problems.

As for discs for such an occasion it is either something like a Berg, Mutant, Firebird/Thunderbird or Splice that will be thrown depending on the situation. I think the Berg and Firebird see most action since they just do their thing and feel good in my hand so I feel most confident with them which is a plus.

Hold your disc on the general angle it will fly - like pretend fly it through the shot like a model airplane. Feel the wind. In that flight, when the underneath of the disc shows to the wind, it will lift in that direction. When the top of the disc hits the wind, it will dive in that direction. The wind will exaggerate those portions of the flight.

One of the best ways to learn what to do in wind is to go to an open field on a windy day and throw from the different directions. If you have a basket, set it in the middle - or just put your bag or some other target there. Now throw flat from the eight positions (see image) and see what your disc does. Then throw hyzer, then anhyzer.

Attachments

• WindsAndDiscs.gif
    WindsAndDiscs.gif
    23.2 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts