• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Super Class Halftime Show - Pro Ultimate Game

zrxchris

Birdie Member
The Color of Ultimate is an event this weekend in Atlanta that's showcasing players of color. I'm coordinating the halftime show. Innova is our halftime sponsor and I'm trying to fine tune a halftime show featuring a local Innova ambassador.

So Innova wants to reach more Ultimate players but most players don't like the Pulsar. Aria is the official disc of the game, so I can showcase the Pulsar but not directly related to Ultimate. I thought doing a CTP type game with the Innova Pro, a couple of players from the game and a fan. Kind of like what DD did at an Emporia football game. My idea was to feature Super Class discs, since that's something Ultimate players could easily relate to. We'll have Zephyrs, Condors & Pulsars, 4 of each disc are being shipped (not sure if they're max weight will find out Friday) four people throwing, Innova Pro, Pro Ultimate player & two lucky fans. So each person will throw 3 discs.

Questions:
1. What distance should I put the basket at? I was thinking have the Pro throw from the 50yd line to a basket centered in the endzone. Then have the ultimate players and fans throw from like the 25 or 30yd line. Too far away? Too Close?

2. Any ideas for another game or something to do after the CTP?
Thinking the initial CTP contest will take 5min so I'm trying to think of another game to play. Thought about having the pro throw discs at the uprights but not sure if that is so cool if it's not far away. Could have him throw drivers from the other endzone but
then that's not showcasing the Super Class Discs.

Ring of Fire? Maybe not so cool with only 3ppl. I could get more people and less throws for the CTP?

Any other ideas, we want it to be fun and exciting and ensure we showcase Innova and show players and fans that their Ultimate skills translate well with Superclass discs. Can't really highlight the Pulsar too much as it's not the official disc of the game but need to let people know that Innova does make an ultimate disc that's approved for recreational
ultimate.

Any other ideas are welcome. I thought about maybe MTA or TRC too, but not sure if people would find that as cool as throwing at a target.

Thanks!

Why would any Ultimate competition be using an Aria disc when Discraft Ultra Stars are so easily orderable? :p

A quick distance competition between the Pros, Ultimate and Fans? Each group competing again themselves. Nothing like the flight of a disc golf bomb.

Maybe something that really highlights the different flight paths. Anhyzer, hyzer, forehand, backhand..... Kind of tying together the throws in both games.

Why would any Ultimate competition be using an Aria disc when Discraft Ultra Stars are so easily orderable? :p

A quick distance competition between the Pros, Ultimate and Fans? Each group competing again themselves. Nothing like the flight of a disc golf bomb.

Aria is the only other approved USAU championship level disc. We approached several disc manufacturers with a sponsorship package for the event and Aria made us the best offer.

Distance could be good idea? But I figured even the pro isn't gonna be able to throw a Superclass 300'

Maybe something that really highlights the different flight paths. Anhyzer, hyzer, forehand, backhand..... Kind of tying together the throws in both games.

I thought about something like SkillShot, but thought it would be so cool as trying to hit the basket.

Thanks!

Roller distance with Aria? Rollers are a shot unique for disc golf, especially Super Class, and not allowed for Ultimate. So might be interesting to see the contrast.

Go with the CTP premise but have the dg pro throw from the opposite end zone (or top of the stadium) with real golf discs. Let the Ultimate players throw from shorter range with the Pulsars. Let the fans do so from even closer.

Roller distance with Aria? Rollers are a shot unique for disc golf, especially Super Class, and not allowed for Ultimate. So might be interesting to see the contrast.

Aria is the official disc for the game so I don't want to highlight them in the halftime show. that's sponsored by Innova.

Don't know that anyone else other than the Innova pro knows how to throw a good roller. But yeah maybe showcasing some unique throwing skills at the end might be cool

Thanks Chuck'

rollers are actually great for the pull on windy days.

Go with the CTP premise but have the dg pro throw from the opposite end zone (or top of the stadium) with real golf discs. Let the Ultimate players throw from shorter range with the Pulsars. Let the fans do so from even closer.

I was going to suggest 100 yards with golf discs for the DG pro as well. I think people would be impressed by that distance relative to the Pulsar throws. Especially if his disc lands closest to the pin.

I was going to suggest 100 yards with golf discs for the DG pro as well. I think people would be impressed by that distance relative to the Pulsar throws. Especially if his disc lands closest to the pin.

One thing I have learned over the years is that pretty much the only thing about throwing golf discs that is impressive to those who have not done it is distance.

Yeah maybe I should make the contest be Disc Golfer vs. ultimate players. So if I have the pro throw whatever kind of disc he wants from 100 yds out and have the ultimate players & fans throw from like
35-50 yds out, that could be cool!

Good idea!

Have a golf cart with an Innova banner for the dg pro to ride from their drives to to the basket across the field. Related to a bigger focal point, action, making distance appear longer and branding.

Pro going to have a wireless mic and do that chat as they demonstrate.. or yourself narrating/hosting?

Have a golf cart with an Innova banner for the dg pro to ride from their drives to to the basket across the field. Related to a bigger focal point, action, making distance appear longer and branding.

Pro going to have a wireless mic and do that chat as they demonstrate.. or yourself narrating/hosting?

That's a great idea! Not sure I can get a golf cart on such short notice

Latest posts