• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Super slow discs that you can throw hard?

Just to recap: If I could make the disc I am thinking of...it would behave similar to this: I would throw it at 75-90% power and if a normal putter would go out to around 250, this disc would go out around 150-175. I would prefer a straight flyer that way it could hold any line I put on it, but a strong overstable fade is fine too.

In today's round I was throwing a Polecat from 200ft in and it paid off nicely. That thing has hardly any fade and was holding any line I put on it. If that disc came in 200g I think that would be the disc I was looking for because it's still a tad glidey.

If you want straight with no glide, get a Serpent. The Serpent is made for that.

RDG Serpent 2/2/0/0.5 Scale 2/2/0/3 Kastaplast Berg 2/3/0/3

All really slow, great approach discs, these are 3 that come to mind

Another vote for a Serpent. Not quite glideless, but very little glide. Great in wind, perfectly stable (meaning straight, no turn, very little fade) and doesn't like to blow past baskets. While I can get most putters out to ~275', my Serpent only goes out to about 200-220'. I can flex a Scale a bit further, but neither dash off like a Wizard, Judge, or the Prodigy putters I'm more familiar with.

I'd recommend a Kastaplast Berg for this. It's very slow in flight and doesn't go far. When thrown hard it's a pretty straight flyer with plenty of HSS. Definitely fades when thrown softer. I only have experience with K1 plastic but they all feel great.

If you don't mind larger diameter discs try a Condor. Throw it as hard as you can and it holds the line you put it on.

You looking for the berg I have thrown all the discs mentioned except the stego and th berg is in the bag for the same exact shots

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I agree with the serpent suggestions. Very straight with less glide than most putters. If you want less glide, you're probably going to have to look at a ridiculously beefy disc.

Isnt this what a 10m brick was made for?.... sorry couldn't resist. Has anyone here tried to throw an Aerobie Arrow for distance? I cant see that thing flying very far.

Personally I use a soft envy for this shot. Throw at eye level, with a near vertical hyzer, it goes about 100ft and sticks like a dart.

If you don't mind larger diameter discs try a Condor. Throw it as hard as you can and it holds the line you put it on.

Thank you Steve.

How the hell did we get to page 5 of this thread without someone bringing up the actual answer - Condor?

Its like he cut and pasted from the description of the Condor.. what the fx people. slower than putter speed and good for catch / warmup didnt tip you off?

grab yourself a 200g blizzard Condor from the pro shop. Rip in to it all you want, its not going anywhere in a hurry. Your 165g distance drivers will feel like feathers afterwords.

Thank you Steve.

How the hell did we get to page 5 of this thread without someone bringing up the actual answer - Condor?

Its like he cut and pasted from the description of the Condor.. what the fx people. slower than putter speed and good for catch / warmup didnt tip you off?

grab yourself a 200g blizzard Condor from the pro shop. Rip in to it all you want, its not going anywhere in a hurry. Your 165g distance drivers will feel like feathers afterwords.

hmm...thank you for the Condor recommendation! Looks like there are several discs that would do the job based on this thread. Hoping my local dg store(s) have some of these discs in stock to play with.

Something that will go straight when thrown hard, but will also find ground at 100-200'? Doesn't exist. Anything that finds ground that fast is too overstable to go straight.

Ok I'm gathering that a lot of you haven't thrown a max weight condor.

Yes there really is a speed zero disc heavy and stable enough to rip on. You can put full force into it and not get over 300. And yes, it's also a great warmup / catch disc. It flies like a giant sloooow roc.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/blizzard-champion-condor.html

Harp is not a slow disc. It's almost a midrange. I guess that would be great for catch if you didn't mind a challenge and a few sprained fingers.

If you want something that satisfies the ranging aspect at least as well as the condor but isn't as slow, catchable, or controllable / versatile, then the Harp, Stego suggestions are great. And if all you want is ranging ima throw the Justice in the ring too. That thing will just fall out of the sky at 200'.

If you want super slow, heavy and good for catch, skip the Condor and get a Zephyr. But yeah, it's super wide (and kind of a pain to put in your bag).

I'm in the Berg camp. The Birdie is a less glidey, brickier Polecat so it might work too. The nice thing about the Serpent is that it feels more like a conventional golf disc but I definitely wouldn't play catch with it.

I personally use a Breaker for this. It's not super overstable and can be thrown beyond 150' for sure but it's really easy to range and super HSS.

Last edited:
Thank you Steve.

While a Condor is a good disc to be able to rip into, it's not a 100-200' disc. It easily carries much further than that. As B.Dave said, the Zephyr is a good, super slow disc that fits the bill a little better - as it doesn't like to go much more than 200' max, but it also requires very smooth form with a flat release. If you try to put power behind it and you turn it even slightly, it will keep on going with that anhyzer. That said, I do occasionally bag a Zephyr for just this shot. I stick two fairways inside my Zephyr on the side pocket of my UPD Shift and it's a dream for a short, floating approach. Tons of glide, but zero speed. Like a 1/4/0/1 rating in my mind. It doesn't go far, but it floats like a boat!

Typically though, I'll stick with my Serpent because that much glide on short shots usually ends up with too much wind interference.

The Gateway Devil Hawk fits your description pretty well. All it wants to do is get down. Not the kind of disc you pull out often but when you need it, it does its job like a champ.

This is a great answer. The war spear fits as well.

This is a great answer. The war spear fits as well.

I think they are identical except that the DH has a bead. I live in Gateway country and I never had much interest in throwing their non-putter lineup. The DH is considered a mid range but is feels like a putter in my hand. I handed it to a local pro and he ripped on it. Went about 200 feet and dove to the ground curving left the whole time RHBH. It's one of those discs that is easy to range because you know exactly what is doing to do every time.

Latest posts