• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Surge vs Avenger vs Wind

Ksharp

Bogey Member
I throw both in ESP plastic as my main drivers. I prefer the surge but in the wind the avenger seems to do better. Im playing in a tournament this weekend and need to figure this out.
I throw Surges,Avengers and occasionally Predators as my main drivers. Pred not very far around 350-375 but it meat hooks left no matter what used when wind is really strong. The Avenger gets nice hyzers or tight flex shots with nice hard fade at the end (450ishft), the surge(450ishft again) gets huge flex shots thrown with anny or dead straight thrown flat soft to no fade at the end. When im up on the tee I just cant decide which disc to throw when its moderately windy because there so similar yet different minus the pred. Any insight?

Both of those were my gotos for the first 6 months i played. Now its predators all the way...kinda funny. How I always decided which to throw was how long i wanted it to go straight before it started to fade. My avenger always seemed to hold a straighter line THEN faded. Once they started to beat in, I went with the avenger reguardless, in a head wind bc the surge starged to bomb right really bad even if i put it on a big lean.

So..... you are good enough to throw 450', but you don't know what your go to discs do in the wind? :confused:

Go with the avenger btw

throwing far has nothing to do with being good. he could throw 600ft in the opposite direction for all we know

So..... you are good enough to throw 450', but you don't know what your go to discs do in the wind? :confused:

Go with the avenger btw

Throwing far isnt hard for me ever since I stopped trying to throw hard and focused on smooth form the distance just kinda came, but I cant approach for jack.
It just seems weird because one day the avenger will do better in a head wind and the other the surge. My surge flexs more on a good snap so headwinds coming from left to right hit the flight plate and pick up and turn it way over since its less stable. Where as the avengers fade harder and never really turn over that much and stay on there course. I think?

Avenger SS's and Surge SS's turn right over on me.

Its just weird because on marshall streets flight guide there right next to each other, and discrafts ratings are 1.8,1.7 but they react alot different in the air.

What is your throwing style? How long have you been playing?

I ask because if you are new to the game variable results in the wind could stem from inconsistent form or even slightly difference angles of release.

Furthermore, "in the wind" is a very vague statement. Are you talking a straight on headwind? a right to left cross-wind? a slightly right to left headwind? or even a tailwind? All wind conditions will make the discs behave differently.

My assumption is that you are talking about a headwind, and in that case I would personally throw the Avenger. I would also recommend a Z Avenger instead of the ESP. I personally do not like ESP in the wind because most ESP discs I have thrown are floppier and gummier than their Elite Z bretheren.

throwing far has nothing to do with being good. he could throw 600ft in the opposite direction for all we know

I have to disagree with you on this one. A long throw is like any other skillset in disc golf; putting, approach, etc. To be able to throw 450' with any regularity and accuracy is not something that happens overnight. I'm assuming that we're talking about "golf lines" because the context of the post is during tournament play. I know there are some freaks out there that can bomb within a few months of starting, but they're the exception to the rule. The majority of us have to work at it and build up to that distance.

Ive been playing for 3 years but im finally getting over the whole big rim driver speed one million discs and settling on the two molds that work relatively consistently well for me every single round. Maybe if you see the course it would help. hole #1 is a 508ft down hill shot that also slopes left but the wind is always a headwind and just about always strong.

5813757736_9e144deb6a_z.jpg

Ive been playing for 3 years but im finally getting over the whole big rim driver speed one million discs and settling on the two molds that work relatively consistently well for me every single round. Maybe if you see the course it would help. hole #1 is a 508ft down hill shot that also slopes left but the wind is always a headwind and just about always strong.

5813757736_9e144deb6a_z.jpg

That's a pretty sweet looking hole. When I play in the wind, I pretty much give up on trying to go for max D. Shot placement becomes more important than distance in my book. If you can make the wind work for you though, the Surge can absolutely bomb. I think that they can handle at least a little more wind than some people give them credit for.

If you can throw dead straight for 450, use that disc and power down. This guy didn't say he can huck 450, he said dead straight. That means his skill level is very advanced.

And not to be that guy, but about 95% of people who say they throw that base it on some combination of innaccurate things (A hole marker that isn't accurate, pacing thing off optimistically, saying it is "close" to something..when it is really like 30 feet away).

I've found the Surge to be an excellent hyzer-flip disc once it beats in. My Avenger is 3 years old and flys dead straight for 300 then starts to bail out. It doesn't matter which you choose, the solution is to throw with slightly more hyzer in the wind. I am also very skeptical of the numbers you posted, but I'm not calling you a liar. It's just that most people that can throw an Avenger 450' have the last name Doss, and play very well in windy conditions. Good luck.

what esp surge you throwing the nate doss or pre-nate doss? i found the pre-nates and the First Runs to be more stable..havent thrown the Avenger but would prob think he would handle the wind a lil better

nate doss surges. My distance guesstimate is based on hole #14 at my course. Flat 449ft and I can over throw the basket pretty regularly so even if they are off im thinking I gotta be close to 450ft.

Latest posts