• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Surviving the 'Chuckers' Stereotype

Amen Superberry. My home course doesn't have garbages at each hole and coincidentally the ones who don't always have a can or some sort of garbage laying around. How is it so hard to hold on to it until the next hole?? :(

These 'chuckers' exist at every type of course. Go to Highbridge Hills, a disc golf mega complex in the absolute middle of nowhere. You will find signs of obviously smashed bottles, graffiti, and litter. Are you freakin kidding me? These 'chuckers' drove HOURS out of their way to pay $10 a day to play disc golf at a pristine and beautiful piece of northwoods WI property, and they litter.

My local course has large trash bins (55 gallon drums) at strategic locations - intersections and places easy for ME to get to because I am the one collecting it (in my volunteer time). Plus we have 5 gallon buckets at every other hole just about. I still see garbage everywhere. I see butts everywhere. I see litter less than a foot from garbage cans. Garbage cans aside, I have begun writing reviews in which I praise courses for not having cans, especially private courses. Why make more work for the courtse owner or caretaker?? As I said earlier, is it not just as easy to carry out everything you carried in (PLEASE don't answer, it is rhetorical!)?? Plus, in an economic recession full of budget cuts at every level, if paid employees are wasting their time performing meaningless tasks like picking up your garbage, there is no more funding left for performing additional and improvement type tasks. Let the budget strapped parks departments spend money on improvement and not litter collection.

Let's not argue the stupid semantics of the word chucker. You know the type of people I'm talking about, if you don't know, you are one of them, simple.

These 'chuckers' exist at every type of course. Go to Highbridge Hills, a disc golf mega complex in the absolute middle of nowhere. You will find signs of obviously smashed bottles, graffiti, and litter. Are you freakin kidding me? These 'chuckers' drove HOURS out of their way to pay $10 a day to play disc golf at a pristine and beautiful piece of northwoods WI property, and they litter.

I said much the same thing when I was there, with the same incredulity.

"Really? I mean really?!?"

There are reasons they are called Douchebags, and one of them is lack of class.

its funny one of the guy who spends the most time cleaning up my local course, also will throw his beer cans on the side of a random hole and not carry it to the trash can.... it always confuses me.

As someone who has been to Singapore, it was freakin amazing! It has to be the cleanest large city on the planet. It was spotless!

I suppose the reasons for it are the tough laws against littering/vamdalism, and the locals attitudes are in the right place. They are proud to live in a nice enviornment. Oh, and they "smoke" and drink over there too. Mabye we should start caneing our db litter/vandel pigs like they do!

Until disc golfers actually start policing each other its going to continue. Sorry I know some of you feel like a hypocrite calling the cops on someone who's drinking and smoking weed at the park

So why are we taking our anger out on 'users' instead of the actual litterbugs? Seriously this blame game drives me NUTS!!!

I don't think there is any direct blame going on. I think there is a correlation between 'chucker' activity and the extra-curricular activities on the course - especially between the beer fueled teens as well as general macho beer fueled morons who are obnoxious and litter, vandalize, and whatnot.

If it's underage drinking and/or drug use, it really doesn't matter how good of a person you are does it? Not in terms of Joe Public. BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL! While I disagree with Joe Public as an exception because of many friends I have who aren't stereotypical chuckers, that is like I said an exception to the rule. Stereotypes are conveyed upon a group by people not entirely familiar with the group. That's what stereotype is. So despite the fact that we all know good people who still partake in illegal activities on the course, that doesn't change the sterotype forced upon us disc golfers.

Smoking and drinking are one issue.
Blantant destruction, vandalism, etc is an issue.
Foul and loud obnoxious langauage is an issue.
Litter is an issue.

How are these all related? Lots of different ways and just as many exceptions to the rule. The relationships to one another and the exceptions to the rule do not matter. It's the fact that they're all bad for public image.

Taking this all a step further, and my true feelings, is that I don't care about public image, so I'm not arguing about that or placing blame on any one 'group'. I couldn't care less what the uninformed public thinks of a sport I am passionate about. What bugs me is my personal investment into the sport, my course, and my favorite past time, and how 'chuckers' blantantly disrespect the work and also love of others, how their actions can impact the public image, and how I then have to react to the public image and sometimes fight to explain that the honest golfers aren't the ones doing donuts in the parking lot, breaking windows, burning picnic tables, etc. And because of these idiotic actions, I have to fight to keep the course open and continually improving. Fighting to keep something I've dedicated COUNTLESS hours to from being ruined by morons!

To me this is goes without saying, am I wrong?
When I play disc golf, it's because I made the free choice to do so. I wasn't forced to do it. I didn't choose to do it because I don't like it. So, because I made a free choice to do something I like to do. I'd even pay to do this thing I like to do. I can then see absolutely no reason to litter, vandalize, or be part of any other negative activity associated or impacting this activity that I like to do.

I agree with superberry's 75% claim. Its sad to see people litter and vandalize on the course. F--king chuckers

I see Chuckers! and I called them that before this thread!

Listen, Superberry is maybe off about the 75% but he is right on with his rant. I play all of the courses in WNY and the amount of chuckers varies from course to course. Chestnut Ridge is one of the best courses in the area, but attracts the maximum number of chuckers. The litter on our courses is embarrasing, and many of the signs for the holes have been vandalized or ripped out. If you can carry your beer/soda/gatorade/bottled water in with you you can carry it out, it's even lighter than when you opened it. I sometimes pick up litter, but other times I am too overwhelmed to begin. I could fill large garbage bags with litter on just 9 holes.

I think that there should be signage on courses that warn against the behaviour and stress courtesy for using the courses. This goes for littering and general conduct. As for Smoking on the course, I almost always enjoy some as long as there is a place where the general public won't see. I also use a device that looks like a cigarette so you'd have to smell it to know. I never litter EVER and resent those who think I would forget to pack out my trash because I smoke.

We need to confront the chuckers when we see them doing these things, and try to politely let them know that they are ruining the experience for everyone. Respect the courses and the environment overall Carry in/Carry out your cans, bottles etc... recycle them when you get home or return them for the deposit that you already paid for!

-Rant over-

The trouble is you guys are mostly preaching to the choir on a board like this. I would think if you're serious enough about DG to come find a message board about DG, you are likely not one of the people causing problems out on our courses. So we all agree on the right way to conduct ourselves out there? I hate to say it but "so what?". The fact is we are just a very small percentage of the people who hit the courses. The question really is how can we get casual players to understand basic courtesy. I suspect that new people will figure this out mostly by hanging around with more experienced players. So, set a good example out there, play a round with casuals when you get the chance and make a point to make sure they see you field dress a butt or pick up a can. Throw in something like "gosh these cans are ugly laying around". If all of us stepped up and set an example once in a while, it could help. Me, I'm not the kind of guy who is going to walk up to someone and tell them how to behave. I'd rather keep it on the low down and try to make my point when I get the chance. Show them how it's done. Telling them may not work, especially with the teen set.

One successful way to convert a chucker to a disc golfer is to introduce him to league play. I've seen this work time and time again at my local course. Next time you see a group of chuckers out at your local course, invite them to your weekly league and tell them it's open to all players regardless of skill level. Put up flyers for league play. Advertise a big $$ ace pool.. If you build it, chuckers will come.

Once he meets a few disc golfers then he will get a taste of what it *should* be like. Then he passes knowledge on to chucker friends.

The trouble is you guys are mostly preaching to the choir on a board like this. I would think if you're serious enough about DG to come find a message board about DG, you are likely not one of the people causing problems out on our courses. So we all agree on the right way to conduct ourselves out there? I hate to say it but "so what?". The fact is we are just a very small percentage of the people who hit the courses. The question really is how can we get casual players to understand basic courtesy. I suspect that new people will figure this out mostly by hanging around with more experienced players. So, set a good example out there, play a round with casuals when you get the chance and make a point to make sure they see you field dress a butt or pick up a can. Throw in something like "gosh these cans are ugly laying around". If all of us stepped up and set an example once in a while, it could help. Me, I'm not the kind of guy who is going to walk up to someone and tell them how to behave. I'd rather keep it on the low down and try to make my point when I get the chance. Show them how it's done. Telling them may not work, especially with the teen set.

Well said. Will you be my latex salesman?

I'll give you another new thought or idea to chew on.

Here's the set up. I live about 8 miles from Lake Jordan in the Raleigh area. On summer weekends and Holidays it is a very popular lake to fish, ski, picnic or party on. So today, after the long weekend, I go for my 25 mile, lunchtime bike ride around one side of the lake and then back home. Guess what the roads were full of??? Beer cans, bottles, wrappers and all sorts of garbage from scumbag 'chuckers' in $50k boats and SUVS. Big expensive pickups towing jet skis, and all sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds. So I'd say we don't have a disc golf problem, we have a cultural problem. If you ever talk to any old timers you can hear stories about the inner cities, parks and neighborhoods back in the good ole days. Even the ghettos used to be clean. People used to have more respect for each other and their surroundings. In my humble estimation things changed right about the time we got a bunch of people killed in Asia, were smoking it up in Woodstock, and coincidentally kicked off the world's biggest welfare state. Now I'm not smart enough to solve all these problems, but my guess is that a few loser disc golfers are the least of our problems. And if we want to clean up our courses we better spend some time figuring out how to clean up some of our bigger issues. The disc golf scene is probably just a little microcosm of the rest of the country.

^^ I guess it's all relative. If you've ever traveled around Europe, you'll notice they have a real litter problem (and graffiti too) compared to us. Everywhere you go, trash everywhere. It's been a few years since I've been overseas but some of these countries make the US look like Singapore by comparison. Not sure how old you are, but when I was a kid in the 70s it was not that uncommon to see someone chuck a bag or can out of a car window. It was sort of accepted. But then the government did a big litter campaign. Hence the word "litter bug" and that Native American actor with the tear in his eye. All of a sudden people started calling each other litter bugs and it became a social taboo to throw your trash out of a moving car (not to mention that littering has a fine now that is enforced around where I live.) So, in my lifetime, I think the highways and cities in general around the country are cleaner than they used to be. That's not to say that the parks are not full of garbage. They are. But there was a time when you'd see the same thing just driving down the highway...

Last edited:
I just think you might want to call the losers something other than chuckers, like just d-bags, a-holes or something!

For obvious reasons, I concur. :(

Thanks for dragging my username through the mud, superberry. :mad:

I chose this user name because I felt it was indicative of my skill level. I had never heard of the term "disc chucker" before so I didn't know that it was some negative stereotype label for loser disc golfers.

Is this some new label for low life's that frequent the course? I Google'd the term and I have yet to find any kind of negative inference associated with the term?

No personal offense to you disc'chucker'. Call 'em what you like really. As said before, the name is irrelevant, it's the activity that's the problem and you know it when you see it. The point is about the lack of mental apptitude of these lowlifes to grasp that you should respect the things you choose to do, respect the efforts of others who have brought and maintained this course you're on, and respect the environment especially in these beautiful parks gracious enough to offer their amazing terrain to disc golf use.

Disc Golf, sadly the Rodney Dangergield of sports. Garnering no respect since somewhwere around 1970.

Gee ... you sound like a joy to play a round with ...

The stereotype gathered from this board is more like "Folks who play disc golf like to lord over others if they've been playing for more than a year, perpetuate stereotypes about new people, hate others who dare to play the same course, and lie about picking up trash."

Hi, my name is superberry and I'm a chucker hater.

I need to admit this fact. As a DISC GOLFER, it makes me ashamed to placed in the same stereotypical bin as this majority of the people out on the course. Being a disc golf advocate, vocal supporter, and course designer who is all for the growth of challenging and interesting courses designed for good people, it forces me to distance myself from 75% of the players. During most rounds, I pick up and carry out more trash that I could have ever brought in. I dirty up my bag with the leaking stinking filth left behind by chuckers because I respect the beauty of the course. I could go on and on about how I clean up, fix up, replace, repair, etc, etc after chuckers have done their 'thing', but I'll save it for another session. Group therapy may last a while!

You too can join the group, just admit your shame that people look at you funny when they hear that you play disc golf. Because what people hear you say is "I'm a littering, loud, vandal who flings frisbees while frolfing", because of the chuckers stereotype.

Last edited:

Latest posts