• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tail Marking - feedback wanted

What should the rule be when marking with a mini?

• Current method (nose marking)

Votes: 91 87.5%
  • Tail marking

Votes: 13 12.5%

• Total voters
Not counting at all seems to be the easiest since nobody does it.

Again, not true. It is enforced and it is more tedious to enforce than it needs to be. 30 seconds is too long imo. 15 seconds is hardly speed golf. You really like to go to your hyperbole don't you?

Yep. Totally agree.

Using the thrown disc makes the game better (pretty clearly). Logic and consistency make the game better. Can't have 100% of both. So which makes the game more better?

If(!) thrown disc makes it more better, then how do you get the most possible logic and consistency? Tail marking.

More Better! :clap:

But seriously, I think that I'd like to change my vote from tail marking to always marking, much more better!

I think there needs to be a better definition of the lie. If line of play is the reference, nose marking makes the most sense in that the nose is the closest point to the target.

Some of you in this thread need to remember an old saying about not fixing what isn't broken.

Of course, by your reasoning it IS broken, so I doubt I'm going to get anywhere with that.

So the current marking rule gives players a choice of playing at the front of their thrown disc by using a mini or behind it by using the thrown disc. Big deal. That gives them just two available options 8 1/2 inches apart on the same line. I don't think that's going to make the Large Hadron Collider to eat a hole in the earth. There's nothing wrong with giving players an option.

Some folks, believe it or not, think the marking rule should be liberalized even further, where a player could place the mini at any point along the thrown disc. Front, back, left side, right side, wouldn't matter. Boy would that make things "inconsistent".

If(!) thrown disc makes it more better, then how do you get the most possible logic and consistency? Tail marking.

Agreed once again. I just don't think that your first IF is correct. I am not sure that the thrown disc makes it better.

I think there needs to be a better definition of the lie. If line of play is the reference, nose marking makes the most sense in that the nose is the closest point to the target.

Video coming soon!!

marking witn mini

The best way to mark is put your mini in the front of your disc then slide your played disc over the top and leave it lay infront of the mini one motion to mark one motion to pick both discs up

While I've seen it done this way many times, I doubt it's "the best way..." as technically it's illegal. You'd be altering the course in front of your lie which shouldn't be done.

Some of you in this thread need to remember an old saying about not fixing what isn't broken.

Of course, by your reasoning it IS broken, so I doubt I'm going to get anywhere with that.

So the current marking rule gives players a choice of playing at the front of their thrown disc by using a mini or behind it by using the thrown disc. Big deal. That gives them just two available options 8 1/2 inches apart on the same line. I don't think that's going to make the Large Hadron Collider to eat a hole in the earth. There's nothing wrong with giving players an option.

Some folks, believe it or not, think the marking rule should be liberalized even further, where a player could place the mini at any point along the thrown disc. Front, back, left side, right side, wouldn't matter. Boy would that make things "inconsistent".

I vote this.

Again, not true. It is enforced and it is more tedious to enforce than it needs to be. 30 seconds is too long imo. 15 seconds is hardly speed golf. You really like to go to your hyperbole don't you?

if you think 30 seconds is too long, then you are not taking long enough to think about your shot and achieve focus before making the shot. take longer and your game will thank you.

I vote this.

I like that too. People seem to instinctively behave as if they need to just have a foot beside the disc somewhere, not necessarily behind the disc and completely oblivious to the LoP. Putting the marker along any edge of the disc is kind of in the spirit of that tendency and might make disc marking more intuitive.

On the other hand, I can see how it would make marking too casual for competitive play.

I think the primary argument against this is simply the mechanics of tail marking and ensuring that the lie is definitive and does not move during marking. If people are placing the marker on top of the disc and then pulling the disc out from underneath, the mini will move. If they pick up the disc and then place the mini where they visually remember the disc tail being, it'll be inconsistent.

Obviously this is not a major problem but it has to be well understood that the appeal of "nose marking" is, as you watch someone do it from a distance, there's no doubt about the legitimacy of where their marker is positioned after the process of placing it. Very deterministic, hard for an unscrupulous player to monkey around with the lie. Tail marking opens that door slightly more.

I like the decision making process between using a mini or not, and I find in my tournament experience that minis are being used less and less anyway, but when a player is in a bad lie (like in bushes), the ability to choose between two lies 20cm apart is actually good in that it gives them a better chance to take a practical stance without the temptation to bend the rules to do so. I would argue that taking a proper stance that is legally in contact with the lie is probably the most often broken rule in disc golf; accidentally while taking a run up, but intentionally from bad lies in the rough. I wouldn't be looking to make the rules even more challenging in that regard.