• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tallest disc golfer!

At 6'4" I often feel that the main issue is tee pad length. They should check the usual run up length for a non 360 drive of 6'6" player and that should be the length of the tee pad rather than just making it up. Anything taller than that and we are talking a pretty small population.

Hearing tall people try to write it off as an athletic disadvantage is like hearing rich people tell you it's easy to become rich.

Who is writing it off as an athletic disadvantage? Height and athleticism dont go together imo. Just because Im tall doesnt mean that im automatically more athletic then a shorter person. Athleticism is more based around genes and how you were raised and what you were taught.

Who is writing it off as an athletic disadvantage? Height and athleticism dont go together imo. Just because Im tall doesnt mean that im automatically more athletic then a shorter person. Athleticism is more based around genes and how you were raised and what you were taught.

I'm 6'3", I think it is an advantage. From the people I regularly play with, a lot of the longer throwers are also tall. Athleticism helps more, but I don't have that.

I'm 6'3". It's definitely not any DISadvantage and, IMO, in every sport or competitive-type activity I've ever played - from "real" sports like baseball and basketball, to non-classically athletic sports like ours or ball golf, to bar games like pool and darts - I'd MUCH rather be my height (or even taller) than 5'8" or even 6'1"

FWIW: I'm very athletically-inclined (and always have been) and hyper-competitive

Being tall would only be an advantage if you have good form. In my opinion, since taller players generally have longer wingspans they'll have a higher chance at error with timing, reach back and follow through etc.

I'm 6'3". It's definitely not any DISadvantage and, IMO, in every sport or competitive-type activity I've ever played - from "real" sports like baseball and basketball, to non-classically athletic sports like ours or ball golf, to bar games like pool and darts - I'd MUCH rather be my height (or even taller) than 5'8" or even 6'1"

FWIW: I'm very athletically-inclined (and always have been) and hyper-competitive

About the only disadvantage I've encountered is ice hockey.. and that's just stick length ;)

Oh, and rental golf clubs.

All you tall people complaining about low ceilings and banging your heads on branches make me irrationally upset.

Let's ask Casey about the advantages of being short.

physically short.....

or "quotable" short?

I'd rather be short like me (5'6.5" or so) with McBeth talent than 6'+ and my talent.

That being said, height is probably an advantage when it comes to that initial difficulty curve for adding distance. Add elite form and practice to a 5'8" frame like McBeth's and the height advantage may fade. Anything over 6'6" would certainly give diminishing returns and would likely be detrimental as opposed to 6'6" or 6'5", just a ballpark there.

The only physical activity I can think of aside from obvious ones like jockeying where anything over 6' seems to be a disadvantage is skateboarding. When I would bomb hills with my tall friends, they would topple when they fell.

Being a pool player, height isn't so much an advantage, as long arms are, but I get your point. I also agree with most that most teepads I come across are too short, except for the rare 12' pads. I don't mind the pad length if the ground is level with the edge of the pad, but if it isn't it is really annoying (I played a new course that has turf tees, and since I hadn't played it outside of this winter, I didn't realise it had wooden edges, which I almost tripped over, especially on the only uphill hole, as the wood comes up about 2" above the ground), and potentially hazardous.

I'd rather be short like me (5'6.5" or so) with McBeth talent than 6'+ and my talent.

That being said, height is probably an advantage when it comes to that initial difficulty curve for adding distance. Add elite form and practice to a 5'8" frame like McBeth's and the height advantage may fade. Anything over 6'6" would certainly give diminishing returns and would likely be detrimental as opposed to 6'6" or 6'5", just a ballpark there.

The only physical activity I can think of aside from obvious ones like jockeying where anything over 6' seems to be a disadvantage is skateboarding. When I would bomb hills with my tall friends, they would topple when they fell.

Is McBeth only 5'8"? I always thought that he was shorter til I met him, and I would have sworn he was a giant... :D

Actually, I thought 5'10"

Lotta talk about pros/cons of height, most saying distance, and I have to say the biggest advantage for height is in putting.

As a 5'6" individual (manlet) when I putt my disc is at basket height when I release. It makes a HUGE difference to be releasing a foot above the rim on putts inside the circle. Even on longer putts I would love to have a soapbox to putt off of.

Lotta talk about pros/cons of height, most saying distance, and I have to say the biggest advantage for height is in putting.

As a 5'6" individual (manlet) when I putt my disc is at basket height when I release. It makes a HUGE difference to be releasing a foot above the rim on putts inside the circle. Even on longer putts I would love to have a soapbox to putt off of.

Yeah, but one thing we manlets all have in common, we're still taller than Cory-Johnny-Football. :D

Small sample size, but the current top 10 in ball golf are
6'4"
6'3"
6'
5'9"
5'10"
6'1"
5'8"
6'2"
5'10"
5'9"
and
Tiger Woods (GOAT and currently 14th) is 6'1"

I find this interesting. Here's why.

I once played in a work-related weekend ball-golf tournament with a Little Person in my group. Truly a dwarf, not just "little" or short.
Drove the golf cart standing straight up on the floor, eyes not far above the steering wheel. Had to climb up the back fender to get to the bumper to get a club, which he then had to toss-and-catch twice in order to wedge it out of the bag...

I say all this to paint a picture, not to poke fun. He's a great dude, life of the party type, had women falling off him at bars, the whole schmeil. He just owns who and what he is. Noo-Yawkah. Quick wit and big mouth. But again, funny and engaging. I heard he got a little obnoxious if he was in his cups, but I didn't hang out that late...

Here's the cool part. Well, first, here's what he does for a living: He lays tile.

Chew, swallow, digest.

Here's where he had an absolute advantage on the golf course: the putting surface.

Chew, swallow, digest.

Now, the coolest thing I have ever seen, with no qualifications:

He would consult the course book, looking for yardage, naturally, and water, trees, etc. But he was also looking at spots where the cart path would cross the fairway. Didn't matter how far out that crossing was. He'd go, "Yup, 3-iron'll do it..."
He would then pull out a nearly-full-sized club, where the thing was damn near parallel to the ground as he addressed. He would then poke the ball out there and HIT THE CART PATH with precision and maybe a little *poof* of some kind of magic dust, and thereby gain an extra 20-30-40 yards.

Watched him call it, and do it, no less than three times in one round.

That's what all this made me think of. Instead of "What advantage does the taller golfer have," I went the other way. Because in the end...well, there's yin, and there's yang.

The advantage is in knowing your limitations, and your assets.

Then again, like I tell my wife... I know what it's like to be 5', she'll never know what it's like to be 6'3" ;)

Hearing tall people try to write it off as an athletic disadvantage is like hearing rich people tell you it's easy to become rich.

My wish would be to put you into a 6'3", 13yr-olds body and then tell me how advantaged you feel...
Not all tall people are athletically gifted as a result of being tall. I am not. In 20013, at 55 and after playing for 5 years, I had to throw a distance driver (AvengerSS) just to reach a 285' basket. Being 6'6" didn't help at all.
After working tirelessly on my form for 5 years, I can now reach it with a putter (Ringer). Can I reach a 285' basket with a putter because I'm tall? I'm positive I'll hear that from some 5'8" guy who is unwilling to put in the time to get better.

Work with what you have, tall or short, heavy or slim, male or female, gifted or not.
And leave the speculation about any supposed advantages and disadvantages for people who won't work to achieve with the body and skills that they have.

I think wingspan definitely makes a bigger difference than height, one doesn't always mean the other. My height is mostly torso which is only good for looking okay when you wear a dress shirt untucked. That's it really. My T-Rex arms ain't got nothing on Nikko and Emerson Keith. Hell, PP probably throws farther than I do. But if you need a light bulb installed I can get on my toes and kill it!

Weightlifting as well

Being a pool player, height isn't so much an advantage, as long arms are, but I get your point. I also agree with most that most teepads I come across are too short, except for the rare 12' pads. I don't mind the pad length if the ground is level with the edge of the pad, but if it isn't it is really annoying (I played a new course that has turf tees, and since I hadn't played it outside of this winter, I didn't realise it had wooden edges, which I almost tripped over, especially on the only uphill hole, as the wood comes up about 2" above the ground), and potentially hazardous.

Jeez- around here we have people bitching and moaning that the new pads are only 12 feet.

Latest posts