• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TD changing a players division mid tournament

So......you're saying my rating is greater than 935??? Sweet!

No need to register and have that tank.....

In the same way that someone who doesn't have a credit rating has a credit rating over 800, but try going to the bank with that one. ;)

To me, that explicitly says you are required to have a rating that is less than 935.

If you don't have a rating, you don't have a rating below 935.

So I take it that new PDGA member swho don't yet have a rating are required to play Open or Advanced?

So I take it that new PDGA members who don't yet have a rating are required to play Open or Advanced?
New members without a rating can enter any division they qualify for by age and gender until they get a rating that may reduce their options.

New members without a rating can enter any division they qualify for by age and gender until they get a rating that may reduce their options.

And if they're a 19-39 year old male, i.e., don't qualify for an age or gender protected division?

Not according to Steve West and Araytx.

I'm not sure who you're trying to pick a fight with, or why, but Chuck's answer is obviously correct and is demonstrated, I would guess, in most pdga events. I'm registered for a tournament in October which has eleven unrated members. One is registered for open, one intermediate, two novice, and the rest recreational.

They can enter Novice, Rec, Intermediate if they wish. Not required to enter Advanced or Open.

But the question is whether the TD can prevent them from entering Novice, Rec, or Intermediate. That answer should only come from someone who can speak for the Competition Committee. Which does not include me.

I'm not sure who you're trying to pick a fight with, or why, but Chuck's answer is obviously correct and is demonstrated, I would guess, in most pdga events. I'm registered for a tournament in October which has eleven unrated members. One is registered for open, one intermediate, two novice, and the rest recreational.

Of course Chuck's answer is correct. The point is that Steve's and Araytx's argument up-thread is that players without a rating ARE NOT eligible to because rec, novice, and intermediate are rating-protected divisions.

Of course Chuck's answer is correct. The point is that Steve's and Araytx's argument up-thread is that players without a rating ARE NOT eligible to because rec, novice, and intermediate are rating-protected divisions.

They are silly sometimes. It's all right.

Lord, this conversation is pointlessly hostile.

If one is not a PDGA member (or even registers for a tournament without providing their PDGA number) the mechanism by which someone is prevented from sandbagging into divisions they shouldn't be in is short circuited. They could play in an infinite number of tournaments, winning novice/rec/whatever by 10+ strokes each time, and never be forced via rating to move up divisions.

Dealing with sandbagging
was the explicit reason the PDGA implemented the rating system.
Dealing with 'sandbagging' – players entering a division below their skill level – used to be a challenge.

Regardless of how explicitly it's spelled out, a TD should be able to correct this. Maybe the PDGA should be more explicit in stating that TDs have the right to prevent non-PDGA members from registering in restricted divisions, but the TD should have the right and seems to have the right.

Conversely, a PDGA member who hasn't yet played a tournament will be in this situation precisely once. It's a non-issue and the PDGA statement that a you can enter a division if you don't have a rating too high allows this. Again, it could be made more explicit, but the intent is clear. If a TD wanted to be a butt about it and force a noob to play Open, well, they probably won't be a successful TD in the long term. If you are a brand new PDGA member and you are faced with such a TD, I'd hope the PDGA would have your back if you wanted to make an issue of it.

But regardless it would still last exactly one tournament. I'll bet your cardmates would be even more supportive than usual when they found out what the jerk of a TD did.

If one is not a PDGA member (or even registers for a tournament without providing their PDGA number) the mechanism by which someone is prevented from sandbagging into divisions they shouldn't be in is short circuited. They could play in an infinite number of tournaments, winning novice/rec/whatever by 10+ strokes each time, and never be forced via rating to move up divisions.

Is this ACTUALLY happening or is it an urban myth? If it is actually a problem, it should be easy enough to demonstrate by going through the past 20-some years of tournament results posted on the PDGA website and identifying the non-member sandbaggers by name. In the absence of clear evidence that non-members are continually sandbagging and lapping the field in the division they're competing in, prohibiting them from competing in rating-protected divisions is a solution in search of a problem.

Dealing with sandbagging was the explicit reason the PDGA implemented the rating system.
Quote:
Dealing with 'sandbagging' – players entering a division below their skill level – used to be a challenge.

Nothing in the rationale implies or suggests that the players iwho were "sandbagging" were non-members. Iin fact, the proffered rationale presumes that the large majority of "sandbaggers" were PDGA members, since the statement claims that instituting rating-based divisions diminished the problem to the extent "sandbagging" is characterized as something that:
used to be a challenge.

Conversely, a PDGA member who hasn't yet played a tournament will be in this situation precisely once. It's a non-issue and the PDGA statement that a you can enter a division if you don't have a rating too high allows this. Again, it could be made more explicit, but the intent is clear. If a TD wanted to be a butt about it and force a noob to play Open, well, they probably won't be a successful TD in the long term. If you are a brand new PDGA member and you are faced with such a TD, I'd hope the PDGA would have your back if you wanted to make an issue of it.

But regardless it would still last exactly one tournament. I'll bet your cardmates would be even more supportive than usual when they found out what the jerk of a TD did.

The question under discussion is whether or not one needs to have a rating to compete in a rating-proteced division: the new PDGA member who doesn't yet have a rating is simply a subset of the larger class of "unrated players." If Chuck's answer regarding the eligibility of new PDGA members is correct, it establishes that a rating is not, in fact, required. That, coupled with actual practice going back to the establishment of rating-protected competition, suggests that ratings are not required for non-members, either. Is that what the PDGA and/or the competition committee want?

The latter question is well worth pondering carefully, becuase how the PDGA answers it has significant implications for how the PDGA is preceived by non-members and its future growth.

But the question is whether the TD can prevent them from entering Novice, Rec, or Intermediate.

Of course a TD can: Nulla poena sine lege. The questions are: 1) is that what the PDGA/Competition Committee intends; 2) what are the implications for the TD, the tournament, and the PDGA going forwrad if a TD does so; and 3) does the PDGA want TDs to have the power to do so.

What? Too lazy to do it yourself? Or afraid of the answer you get?

Nope, not afraid at all. I already have. Spoken with Mike & Yeti. Hence the opinions I've been spouting all throughout the thread. I'm just not gonna do it for those that won't do it for themselves.

Last edited:
Is this ACTUALLY happening or is it an urban myth? If it is actually a problem, it should be easy enough to demonstrate by going through the past 20-some years of tournament results posted on the PDGA website and identifying the non-member sandbaggers by name. In the absence of clear evidence that non-members are continually sandbagging and lapping the field in the division they're competing in, prohibiting them from competing in rating-protected divisions is a solution in search of a problem.

There was a non-PDGA member player who allegedly played intermediate at many local tournaments while scoring well enough to win advanced. He allegedly gave a different name at each tournament. The merch payout in intermediate was higher than in advanced because of field size. Players and TDs eventually noticed, but not until many intermediate fields were harmed at many tournaments.

Moreover, in some areas, it is extremely rare not to have a new PDGA member win rec by a mile. When it's practically every tournament, it's a problem for the rec rated players who eventually are forced to move up without ever getting to win rec.

There was a non-PDGA member player who allegedly played intermediate at many local tournaments while scoring well enough to win advanced. He allegedly gave a different name at each tournament. The merch payout in intermediate was higher than in advanced because of field size. Players and TDs eventually noticed, but not until many intermediate fields were harmed at many tournaments.

If these were indeed "local" events I have a hard time envisioning the scenario.

Moreover, in some areas, it is extremely rare not to have a new PDGA member win rec by a mile. When it's practically every tournament, it's a problem for the rec rated players who eventually are forced to move up without ever getting to win rec.

Examples of the bolded?