• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

TD changing a players division mid tournament

If these were indeed "local" events I have a hard time envisioning the scenario.

Examples of the bolded?

This is the post you are referring to:

Originally Posted by jenb View Post
Moreover, in some areas, it is extremely rare not to have a new PDGA member win rec by a mile. When it's practically every tournament, it's a problem for the rec rated players who eventually are forced to move up without ever getting to win rec.

I have seen that happen. A person who played quite a bit but was never a PDGA member, finally became a member with a rating of 0. Entered MA3 (Rec) in a tournament and just 'clobbered' the division. No one else came close. Someone asked him about it and his response was something like (I can't recall his exact comment)...."I'm unrated, so I'm eligible for MA3(Rec). There's no rule about working on your game until you are good and then entering a tournament at a division you qualify for based on your rating." I don't know what happened with him after that, but he could have played in a few more tournaments as MA3 (Rec) and kept winning until his rating was created.

This is the post you are referring to:

I have seen that happen. A person who played quite a bit but was never a PDGA member, finally became a member with a rating of 0. Entered MA3 (Rec) in a tournament and just 'clobbered' the division. No one else came close. Someone asked him about it and his response was something like (I can't recall his exact comment)...."I'm unrated, so I'm eligible for MA3(Rec). There's no rule about working on your game until you are good and then entering a tournament at a division you qualify for based on your rating." I don't know what happened with him after that, but he could have played in a few more tournaments as MA3 (Rec) and kept winning until his rating was created.

Of course unrated players win some times, I am questioning the contention that there are areas where it is the norm.

What? Too lazy to do it yourself? Or afraid of the answer you get?

And just for reference for you and others who don't get it.

I can see Chains & rhatton's question/concern. Chains's issue is he doesn't believe it to be explicitly spelled out in writing that he can prevent a player from registering & playing a certain division. I don't think he's ever said "it shouldn't be done," he just believes you don't have the rulebook standing behind you if you do so, and he's therefore unwilling to do so himself.

That being said this whole scenario goes back to PDGA Board's/Comp Committee's response to the situation where Kobella won the PDGA Am Worlds (40+ in 2016, then 50+ in 2017), and later discussions/comments/reports/issues/'whatever-you-want-to-call-them's found out that he had accepted cash as a non-member multiple times back in his 20s & 30s in Europe. The problem therein was there wasn't a system to track these things, particularly with a player who played tons of tournaments, then disappeared from the scene for a decade or more, then later comes back and eventually joins PDGA.

Last edited:
So if players with no rating have the right to enter divisions for which they need to have a low rating ...

Can players with no rating sign up for early registration to events for which they need to have a high rating?

Latest posts