• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Technique Poll - What Are You?

Technique/Strategy Poll - What Are You?

• BH – Only (Includes Putting)

Votes: 61 22.8%
  • FH – Only (Includes Putting)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • OH – Only (Includes Putting)

• BH and FH (BH Putt)

Votes: 78 29.2%
  • BH and FH (FH Putt)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • BH and OH (BH Putt)

Votes: 20 7.5%
  • FH and OH (FH Putt)

• BH, FH, and OH (BH Putt)

Votes: 97 36.3%
  • BH, FH, and OH (FH Putt)

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Other

Votes: 4 1.5%

• Total voters
I started off throwing BH, then I discovered how to throw FH and only threw that for a while. I eventually decided to start refining my BH shot. I now primarily throw BH unless i have a sharp right dogleg, in which case I will pull out my amazing orange Whippet and let 'er rip FH! I NEVER putt forehand unless I have an awkward lie.

They're called "turbo putts" and they are actually quite dangerous if you know what you're doing...few people can do them.

I'll throw OH (thumber) when going up a very steep hill with the pin on top and no slope past the pin. I find there's less chance of bouncing back down the hill compared to a nose-up backhand putt...if that makes ANY sense at all.

I voted BH only, but today I drove 3 off the tee with overhands. It's just that holes aren't usually short enough for me to do this (I was playing a course I rarely ever player) and the only reason I did it was because there were either trees in my way or a huge drop off behind/to the left of the tee. I had good results with the overhands it's just that I can only use them on holes 240' or less or just to get out of trouble. And still, if there's not some obstacle or hazard behind the pin I'd rather just throw my putter, which I get about the same distance with.

I'm curious (and despite English's lack of written inflection please know I'm saying this is a curious voice NOT a jerky one). When you're putting forehand is it really putting or is it just a line-drive at the pin? Does the flight path have some up/down to it? Not that it has to be a lob or anything but I imagine your putts are thrown in the same manner as your approaches.

No they are actually putts. It took me a little while to get it down and to figure out a good grip but they actually work pretty well. They come in pretty soft and land really flat. Of course depending on the environment I do have a few that I have to pop some line drives but that comes with backhand as well. The form I figured out for me was to do a three finger base and a good pop to it, all in the wrist.

No they are actually putts. It took me a little while to get it down and to figure out a good grip but they actually work pretty well. They come in pretty soft and land really flat. Of course depending on the environment I do have a few that I have to pop some line drives but that comes with backhand as well. The form I figured out for me was to do a three finger base and a good pop to it, all in the wrist.

Thank you so much for replying. I was really hoping that this is the case. I would LOVE to see that in action. Different is good!

They're called "turbo putts" and they are actually quite dangerous if you know what you're doing...few people can do them.

I am familiar with Turbo Putts. Mine are so-so, but I was really wondering if anyone actually throws a OH putt.

voted BH only. the ONLY time i EVER use FH or OH is to get out of trouble which is maybe 2-4 times per 18 holes. i have made leaps and bounds in my BH drives/approaches just today i sank a 60 foot put with my ESP wasp (BH "throw" not really a putt) my friend was amazed because he strictly only throws FH and OH except for putting(BH).

I've messed around at the practice hole with some thumber putts, but I've never taken one during a round. It works OK as long as they flatten out before they hit chains, otherwise they slide right through the other side.

I am backhand strictly, I found that throwing one way and just working on the release angle is much easier for me than trying to work on two throwing styles.

I am mostly BH now but there are uses for about every type of throw listed here so I use all with BH put.

I can throw real well with an OH shot but I find each time it takes something out of my arm so I use it sparingly.

My FH could use a some work.

I go BH primary. FH if the hole demands it and to get me out of trouble. I have thrown OH some but very little and only when completely necessary.

I have seen someone actually do thumber putts...not all the time, but if a situation calls for it, and is fairly accurate. I'm a BH putter, but can putt FH, if I have to step out and my biggest gap to get through is a FH shot. I'm not accurate with it, however, I either hit metal (70%) of the time, or I'm only 15 ft or less from the basket after the shot. BTW the Pig is a great FH putter!!!

i find it funny that im in the majority, because i have never played with anyone that utilizes BH, FH, and tomahawk all in one round; sometimes in one hole

i find it funny that im in the majority, because i have never played with anyone that utilizes BH, FH, and tomahawk all in one round; sometimes in one hole

Might have something to do with demographics of those who would browse a disc golf forum.

We are all into it and most of us see uses for a multitude of shots.

I did see a weird throw on sunday. A guy threw his disc underhand with his thumb and index finger toward the front. It then leveled out flat and glided. Didnt go but maybe 75' and it was a drive but I never seen anyone do that.

RHBH only

I am backhand strictly, I found that throwing one way and just working on the release angle is much easier for me than trying to work on two throwing styles.

Good point. I have messed around with forehand a little, but tend to work more on my backhand to get it to do everything I want it to. Let me concentrate on one style at a time. When I feel really comfortable with RHBH, I will add the forehand. Right now it is just too weird.

I throw BH as my main. I have a good OH I can use. I have had a hard time learning to throw FH was recently throwing only 280 for my D. I've recently learned how to throw 330ish. But im still working on learning the Acc. >.<

Latest posts