• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Tee pad alternatives for dirt

PBokor

Eagle Member
It doesn't look like we will be able to pour concrete before the onset of the Seattle rain, so we're looking for temporary solutions for our natural (dirt) pads.

Rubber would be best, but we have no funds to purchase. Any ideas on where to get some for free?

Carpet was mentioned but that sounds as slippery as mud in constant precipitation. Anyone used it in wet conditions?

I'm thinking wood chips would probably be best for drainage, but are there other options I'm not considering?

As always, TIA.

Have you thought about contacting local stables and asking about old horse mats? They work pretty well and if they're older you could likely get em cheap. Personally I don't like wood chips over just bare ground, but if the alternative is mud... As for carpet, maybe turn the carpet upside down? Dunno how long it would hold up though.

Carpet actually works amazingly well, here's the thing though, flip it over and put the carpet side down and use the backing, grippy material as the tee. If you stake it down and prep well underneath you will be golden for a season or so. It does have to be replaced fairly often, but it's a great alternative when you are just trying to get through the wet season to pour your concrete. Something else would be pavers. Sometimes you can find them super cheap or even free on craigslist when people either pull them up or order too many for a job.

carpet is the way to go. berber- not anything taller. will work well for the duration you are looking for and should be able to source it for nothing.

I like the idea of the fault line and some of the benefits, but the only course I played with them, Credit Island, the fault line paint was like ice.

Although it might be cost prohibitive, I would look into a material called 'crusher run' (at least here in the southeast). It's like gravel but with a highly variable particle size ranging from 57-stone to dust. It compacts like a dream, it's easy to work, drains well and when time comes to pour will offer something of a reliable substrate for concrete. It will even suppress weeds...

for what it's worth...

Carpet actually works amazingly well, here's the thing though, flip it over and put the carpet side down and use the backing, grippy material as the tee. If you stake it down and prep well underneath you will be golden for a season or so. It does have to be replaced fairly often, but it's a great alternative when you are just trying to get through the wet season to pour your concrete. Something else would be pavers. Sometimes you can find them super cheap or even free on craigslist when people either pull them up or order too many for a job.

We've been using carpet for 12 years at Stoney Hill. Depending on where a tee is, they can last a long time. (But...we don't have much traffic. So I guess I should say they can survive the weather a long time).

We started with the upside-down method, and indeed it makes the tees very grippy. But we found that the South Carolina sun melted the backing, or something, because they started unravelling fairly quickly.

They remain amazing grippy when wet. The caveats are that if you have a place where mud washes into the carpet, it get slick---and in shade, some won't dry and will get mildew or something in the fibers, and get very slick.

With luck, you can find it for free, on the roadsides, or with connections with carpet installers, who need to do something with the old carpet they rip out.

Although it might be cost prohibitive, I would look into a material called 'crusher run' (at least here in the southeast). It's like gravel but with a highly variable particle size ranging from 57-stone to dust. It compacts like a dream, it's easy to work, drains well and when time comes to pour will offer something of a reliable substrate for concrete. It will even suppress weeds...

for what it's worth...

We used to have a hole that teed off our driveway, which is crusher run. Not good---the larger pieces are like ball bearings, and not evenly-rolling ball bearings, at that.

We used to have a hole that teed off our driveway, which is crusher run. Not good---the larger pieces are like ball bearings, and not evenly-rolling ball bearings, at that.
:eek:

I would say find somebody who is getting rid of the old carpet mats, the mats that have the carpet on the back of a rubber surface to get them cheaper. I think that should work best upside down. If you can't find some people are getting rid of then buy them, the cost is not that much for a 24 inch x 46 inch or a 20 inch x 36 inch. If not that then buy chip board that is fairly inexpensive and use that to get though the season, using a varnish or Thompson's water seal to protect the wood.

It doesn't look like we will be able to pour concrete before the onset of the Seattle rain, so we're looking for temporary solutions for our natural (dirt) pads.

Rubber would be best, but we have no funds to purchase. Any ideas on where to get some for free?

Carpet was mentioned but that sounds as slippery as mud in constant precipitation. Anyone used it in wet conditions?

I'm thinking wood chips would probably be best for drainage, but are there other options I'm not considering?

As always, TIA.

Carpet can be surprisingly good, or at least better than you might think. Some people do not like it at all. I found it to be just fine, especially as an alternative to dirt.

I play 2 local courses that have rubber tees and they are fine till there is any moisture on them. Once that happens they are slicker than $#!?. They are pretty nice when its dry but in wet conditions people tend to tee off next to them. I personally would rather just have dirt tees at those courses.