• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird plastics

^^The 'X' numbers don't matter, the tooling underneath does. Look at the state. Whether tooled "CA" (what your 12X is) or "CAL", both molds are amazing. You'll find both toolings with the 11X stamp (only CA with the 12X and current). I personally went CAL crazy for awhile until I threw an 11x KC Pro (only CA tooled) and realized I will throw either without bias. I prefer the CAs (current tooling), regardless of how they're stamped. All my CALs just sit and collect dust (and value!) any more.

At the end of the day, I would be just as happy rotating through DXs as throwing any of the other plastics and wish I hadn't just recently figured it out. It would've saved me a ton of money collecting backups of the rarer (but not better), premium stuff. I carry a beat DX and a beautifully pearly 11x KC Pro (that is well used but still plenty stable) and reach for the DX more than the KC Pro.

Buy DX and don't look back.

Last edited:
The higher end plastic ones tend to retain more LSS than the DX. This actually makes them easier to "range" when you're throwing >400'. There's a lot less chance you'll end up 50' farther than you wanted to go. The DX ones loose almost all LSS and become super straight and long. People throwing <400' will probably get the best performance out of them. They also tend to not take kindly to OAT when beat. A little too much and they'll turn and burn. Thrown cleanly on a hyzer flip they'll be one of your longest discs, though.

This is exactly what I've found too! I have a champ in my bag and I was wanting to try the extra grip and glide of a dx so I bought one. Within 2 weeks the thing was turning during it's HS flight and retained very little LSS. The predictability of the dx took a major dive in comparison to my champ which has been predictible as ever. :thmbup:

I prefer the champs for accuracy and the more they beat in the straighter they get. I have thrown a SE in to my bag and the glide on that thing is great but it is harder to control. I can get it to do some pretty good anny lines though.

^^The 'X' numbers don't matter, the tooling underneath does. Look at the state. Whether tooled "CA" (what your 12X is) or "CAL", both molds are amazing. You'll find both toolings with the 11X stamp (only CA with the 12X and current). I personally went CAL crazy for awhile until I threw an 11x KC Pro (only CA tooled) and realized I will throw either without bias. I prefer the CAs (current tooling), regardless of how they're stamped. All my CALs just sit and collect dust (and value!) any more.

At the end of the day, I would be just as happy rotating through DXs as throwing any of the other plastics and wish I hadn't just recently figured it out. It would've saved me a ton of money collecting backups of the rarer (but not better), premium stuff. I carry a beat DX and a beautifully pearly 11x KC Pro (that is well used but still plenty stable) and reach for the DX more than the KC Pro.

Buy DX and don't look back.

I agree with this. I throw DX, but I found an 11x CA on the course. It is handy for a headwind, but nowhere near the glide.

I did snag an 11x Pearly KC Pro off the marketplace today, but probably not to throw.

This is exactly what I've found too! I have a champ in my bag and I was wanting to try the extra grip and glide of a dx so I bought one. Within 2 weeks the thing was turning during it's HS flight and retained very little LSS. The predictability of the dx took a major dive in comparison to my champ which has been predictible as ever. :thmbup:
I don't remember saying anything about DX getting less predicitble. They get less tolerant of OAT as they beat, but they fly as straight as ever with a clean hyzer flip. I've never had a DX beat up in 2 weeks, either.

I'm not convinced there's an actual mold difference between the two different tooling. I think it's just a way to distinguish between runs that molded up differently.

I don't typically throw DX plastic in anything but my mids. The DX Teebird is an exception...very controllable disc with lots of glide.

I don't remember saying anything about DX getting less predicitble. They get less tolerant of OAT as they beat, but they fly as straight as ever with a clean hyzer flip. I've never had a DX beat up in 2 weeks, either.

I'm not convinced there's an actual mold difference between the two different tooling. I think it's just a way to distinguish between runs that molded up differently.

Let me clarify, since you presupposed your first statement for differing flight characteristics over 400' it's only fair to tell you my experience with it so far. My history with the Teebird only extends to last season. I bought a slightly used champ last year, took it out into a field, I then proceeded to throw it like my champ Eagle (20° hyzer). When it left my hand it gradually flipped up flat than it flew dead straight like it was on rails before it faded to the ground around 425'. It surprised me a little bit since it went about 25' farther than my Eagle, which I wasn't expecting. Because of the champion plastic's flight pattern, it instantly found a place in my bag.

Earlier this year I picked up a dx Teebird for the grip and the extra glide I've been hearing about. At first the disc was doing the same thing as the champ but with added glide. Within a couple weeks of using it over my champ it obtained too much high speed turn from a 20° hyzer when I throw it with maximum acceleration. Hence the landing too far right for what I need it to do. I'm not saying it can't become a 45° or more hyzer-flip disc for me, I just didn't buy it for that purpose as I have other discs that are flawless in that category.

Long story short, champion in my bag while dx is not, even though it has more glide.

Last edited:

when i think of a "straight" disc, i think of a disc that flies straight when thrown flat. I don't assume a hyzer angle release. I don't think any of us are right or wrong, but some people assume a disc is straight because they can release it in a way that makes it fly straight. i don't think this way

I couldn't agree more on this point

when i think of a "straight" disc, i think of a disc that flies straight when thrown flat. I don't assume a hyzer angle release. I don't think any of us are right or wrong, but some people assume a disc is straight because they can release it in a way that makes it fly straight. i don't think this way
I don't know why how you release it would matter. When you throw a disc it's the flight pattern you're really after.

I consider a disc straight if you can get it to fly with minimal turn and fade over a wide range of speeds. Most discs can be thrown straight, but few will actually fly straight over a large range of distances. It doesn't make sense to say that most discs are straight, that just makes labeling any disc impossible. If a disc resists turn enough to fly straight when thrown flat it will fade hard unless it's thrown so low that it hits the ground before it fade. If a disc has almost no fade it will turn it given too much speed.

If you have to qualify it with a specific range (which you would for most any disc that flies straight from a flat release) then the disc itself isn't really a straight disc. It's just easy to throw straight given a specific set of conditions. If it can be thrown anywhere from 300'-450' in a straight line then it's a straight disc.

If you have to qualify it with a specific range (which you would for most any disc that flies straight from a flat release) then the disc itself isn't really a straight disc..... If it can be thrown anywhere from 300'-450' in a straight line then it's a straight disc.

wat?

I don't know why how you release it would matter. When you throw a disc it's the flight pattern you're really after.

I consider a disc straight if you can get it to fly with minimal turn and fade over a wide range of speeds. Most discs can be thrown straight, but few will actually fly straight over a large range of distances. It doesn't make sense to say that most discs are straight, that just makes labeling any disc impossible. If a disc resists turn enough to fly straight when thrown flat it will fade hard unless it's thrown so low that it hits the ground before it fade. If a disc has almost no fade it will turn it given too much speed.

If you have to qualify it with a specific range (which you would for most any disc that flies straight from a flat release) then the disc itself isn't really a straight disc. It's just easy to throw straight given a specific set of conditions. If it can be thrown anywhere from 300'-450' in a straight line then it's a straight disc.

I'm pretty sure all the flight ratings assume a flat release. this doesn't mean that you have to throw all discs flat, or that a disc rated 9 5 -3 1 can't be thrown in a manner that makes it fly straight

Last edited:
i don't think anybody considers any disc with a -3 turn to be straight.

i don't think anybody considers any disc with a -3 turn to be straight.

Agreed. My example was specifically in response to garublador's statement, "i consider a disc straight if you can get it to fly straight with minimal turn or fade...". Well, you can hyzerflip a sidewinder, but that doesn't mean i would call it a straight disc. The disc is capable of straight flight, most are

Agreed. My example was specifically in response to garublador's statement, "i consider a disc straight if you can get it to fly straight with minimal turn or fade...". Well, you can hyzerflip a sidewinder, but that doesn't mean i would call it a straight disc. The disc is capable of straight flight, most are
But it's possible to throw a Sidewinder flat and get a straight flight. It won't go very far, but according to your definition it's still a "straight" disc.

But it's possible to throw a Sidewinder flat and get a straight flight. It won't go very far, but according to your definition it's still a "straight" disc.

But you aren't getting the disc up to speed, which is the most important part of the rating. Get it up to speed '9' and it won't go straight. The ratings assume speed imo

But you aren't getting the disc up to speed, which is the most important part of the rating. Get it up to speed '9' and it won't go straight. The ratings assume speed imo
Who's talking about ratings? We're talking about whether or not a disc is "straight."

i think you are both confusing yourselves. what garublador is saying is that there are a lot of discs that can be thrown in whatever manner and during its flight for some manner of flight time it can go straight, there are also discs that you can throw much shorter ranges than there max potential and for that shorter flight time they can go straight.

BUT... there aren't that many discs that you can throw up to a large range and for entire flight that disc will go straight. for instance i can throw my wraith low and straight 330 or 340 but if i want it to get up close to 400 i cant just throw it straight.... while something like a TL can be thrown really straight up to its max range....

if i'm wrong shoot me.

i think you are both confusing yourselves. what garublador is saying is that there are a lot of discs that can be thrown in whatever manner and during its flight for some manner of flight time it can go straight, there are also discs that you can throw much shorter ranges than there max potential and for that shorter flight time they can go straight.

BUT... there aren't that many discs that you can throw up to a large range and for entire flight that disc will go straight. for instance i can throw my wraith low and straight 330 or 340 but if i want it to get up close to 400 i cant just throw it straight.... while something like a TL can be thrown really straight up to its max range....

if i'm wrong shoot me.
That's exactly what I'm saying. I'm defending my definition of "straight." Just being able to throw it flat and having it go straight some undefined distance isn't a very good definition. It has to fly straight over a large distance range.

Latest posts