• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teebird to Cyclone?

I'll assume that since the thread has many views and no replies, that I've already answered my own question. Time to get me a couple new discs.

No..the Cylcone has more high speed turn, and also a bit more fade at the end of flight. The cyclone will be flippier than your Teebird, but it will come back harder.

Hmmm. That might not be a bad thing. In your opinion, what Innova disc is the Cyclone like?

Last edited:
I dunno....i think a stiff blend esp clone might be more stable then a 167 dx bird.
Hows the bird flyin line wise?

I would think maybe an avenger. There really isn't a discraft driver the same as a teebird. But you should be able to get close to the same stability.

Hmmm. That might not be a bad thing. In your opinion, what Innova disc is the Cyclone like?

Umm, no. The correct answer is a Gazelle.

images

I would think maybe an avenger.

The correct answer is a Gazelle.

Different strokes for different folks.

PDGA specs:

Gazelle: 21.2 1.8 1.2 18.0 1.6 5.7 28.25
Cyclone: 21.3 1.8 1.2 18.1 1.6 5.6 26.00

I'm not a fan of the small rim on the Gazelle. How does the 'Clone compare?
If it's the same rim I'll probably have to stick with the 'bird.

I dunno....i think a stiff blend esp clone might be more stable then a 167 dx bird.
Hows the bird flyin line wise?

Sorry Craftsman, didn't answer your question. The "line" is something I'm not really familiar with describing. I'm assuming you mean how it performs in flight. If I give it a nice flat rip, it'll fly dead straight, then fade nicely at the end. It's not a hard fade though, like my Viper for instance.

The Cyclone sounds really promising, except for the small rim. We'll see what everyone has to say about how the rim feels comparing the Cyclone, and Gazelle.

Different strokes for different folks.

PDGA specs:

Gazelle: 21.2 1.8 1.2 18.0 1.6 5.7 28.25
Cyclone: 21.3 1.8 1.2 18.1 1.6 5.6 26.00

I'm not a fan of the small rim on the Gazelle. How does the 'Clone compare?
If it's the same rim I'll probably have to stick with the 'bird.
Cyclone and Gazelle are functionally the same discs (Cyclone was first, and it was so successful Innova had to make its version), although a Cyclone in practice has more glide.

Yeah, by line i mean flight.
the clone and gaz both have that roc like rim.

The avenger is a good recomendation. I strongly recomend the x plastic for you (and most others including myself).
Its a control distance driver so a lil faster than the bird. It has a dependable fade but it will pop up and/or out moreso than the bird. Flat ones are moreoverstable so find one with moderate dome.

An avenger/xl combo (both in elite x) is a slightly longer and tad more overstable discraft tb/leo combo.

Other pure dc throwers may use a stalker (comes up short in almost all areas in a durect comparison), tracker (more accurate but shorter), x or beat pred (super bird), clone, or avenger.
The avenger and pred feel almost identical.....by the time the pred becones a super bird, the avenger will be beat into fliptasticness.

Nice little DC synopsis Craftsman. I've thrown the Ti Stalker, and it kind of sucked. The Avenger SS is like a Sidewinder, which is like a Vision...so I'd have no problem switching to an Avenger SS for longer turnovers.

I'll take my Gazelle out for a one driver round. If I can get a handle on that small rim, I'll probably switch over to the 'Clone for my stable fairway driver.

Esp Cyclones fly more like Eagle Xs than Gazelles. Gazelles fly more like Teebirds. An Esp Cyclone is a great stable fairway and if you want something less stable for hyzer flips and turnovers the X plastic fits the bill. For some odd reson I get a great grip and snap with the Cyclones thin rim.

Avengers are good discs too, but are pretty fast and a little touchy for fairway purposes. IMHO, of course.

Nice little DC synopsis Craftsman. I've thrown the Ti Stalker, and it kind of sucked. The Avenger SS is like a Sidewinder, which is like a Vision...so I'd have no problem switching to an Avenger SS for longer turnovers.

I'll take my Gazelle out for a one driver round. If I can get a handle on that small rim, I'll probably switch over to the 'Clone for my stable fairway driver.

The Avenger and Avenger SS are very different in terms of flight path and stability. If I still threw Cyclones I would get older TP or cactus Cyclones or Elite X.

Latest posts