• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Teebird vs. Gazelle Question

The problem with the Buzzz is not that I can't get it out 325-350, it's I can't get it out to that distance without losing some of my control.

When I throw my Buzzz that far I have to hyzer-flip it, I can't get enough control to throw a "predictable" S curve. What happens more often then not is I either release the Buzzz too soon or with too much hyzer and it hyzers, flips for a moment and then hyzers again. The next time I try to throw it, I compensate for that and end up rolling my wrist too much and I hyzer straight to anny.
Instead of overextending the buzzz get a TL. (or SL if you need 325-375)

The Teebird has enough stability that when I hyzer flip it, it goes flat about 150' out then starts sailing right, but has enough to fade back left, and won't anny unless I really screw it up. This is where the big gap in distances come from.
ever thought of replacing your old worn, beat in disc?
(or fixing your OAT?)

The gazelle created an almost identical quandry in my bag (except my discs werent flippy as yours seem to be).

It did create an issue with the Buzzz / Teebird / TL trio that i carried previously.

You will find the Gazelle is a "short Teebird" but not really a replacement for the buzzz... (for me) it's like if the two had a child.... I'd replace the straightness of the buzzz with a putter or <other> short range turnover disc and the Teebird with an eagle and really extend your range. Right now the range of the overap seems mind numbing.

You should post a video of your drives if you really want help with your buzzz.

Tbh, it sounds like it just doesn't have the same ratio of hss to lss that your teebird foes, so it doesn't turn and fade back as easily. I'm betting if you worked more on focusing on your release angle with each disc you'd have no problem.

I can't get the hornet out neraly as far as my buzzz unless I flex shot it, mine is to OS to be really long. It is a very good OS mid though.

Really? I find mine to go a good bit further to where I think of it a lot as being almost a tweener between mid and fairway. Even my new Z Felt about as long.

EDIT: Wow. Just realized I repeated myself from earlier sort of.

Last edited:
Some people actually made a few slightly good points. The simple fact is you have bad form, I don't think you're "truley" hitting 400' with a teebird based on the descriptions you've given of how your disc fly. You probably also have an issue with nose up. Doesn't matter how you throw these disc the distances you're describing aren't meshing too well. If you actually had the power to throw a teebird 400' your Gazelle would go just as far unless it's brand new vs a VERY VERY worn champ Teebird. And the Buzzz should go 350 without nearly as much accuracy loss as you claim. But, at your max distance your acc will always begreatly deminished with ANY disc. Pick one, fix your form, end this thread.

There is more bad information being spread by this thread than good.

Last edited:
Stalker's are pure money when it comes to fitting in between a Buzzz and your favorite Fairway / Control Driver. I really treat it as a mid-fairway hybrid.

Second, I agree with Lithicon...You throw your Buzzz's 350 but lose control because it's on a hyzer-flip? 99% of distance Buzzz throws are snappy, tight, and predictable hyzer flips that lock on to a line and hold it all the way to the ground.

Even if you take everything the OP said as accurate, he conceded that he is screwing up trying to max out a Buzzz. That brings us back to the idea that you can either a) work on your form and fix what you are doing wrong, or b) look around for a disc that has a flight that will tend to cover up what you are doing wrong. If you believe that the correct answer is a, these threads are always a boondoggle since they break down into a lot of suggestions for b.

Whether a or b is the way to go depends on you, though.

If you are competitive and want to be the best you can be, a is always the answer. In the end it's you that makes or screws up a shot, not the disc. If a is your answer, I always suggest looking at the articles on DGR before you solicit random advice from potentially unqualified strangers.

If you really are not that into it, are not going to practice and are just looking for an easy fix to help you beat your buddy (who also is not practicing) so you can be King of the beer league, b is an option. There is nothing wrong with that; probably a good 90% of us fall into that category. It's just that for the other 10%, it's really lousy advice.

The fact that 99% of people lie about how far they throw is just an added bonus. No idea if this applies to the OP or not, but if you really want good advice you have to start with accurate info. So, just as a general statement not directed at anyone: If you are throwing 300' but claim to be throwing 400', you are going to get bad advice based off the inaccurate information you provided to go along with the bad advice you get in general by asking questions form random, potentially unqualified strangers on the Internet. In the end you have a thread full of unusable suggestions.

You guys have to be kidding this guy if you think he has a problem when he can't throw a buzz 325 350. Teebirds and Buzzzes are totally incomparable from the way you grip to the angle of the release to the flight pattern. You can throw your Teebird 400. You don't have a problem, buddy.

I've started to carry a DX Gazelle to compliment my 3 Teebirds. Beat Echo Star, Champ T+, Light weight Echo for flippy. I think the glide on the Gazelle is unreal. Just flip it up and it just keeps going. Is a bit shorter but is perfect for some woods tunnel shots IMO.

You guys have to be kidding this guy if you think he has a problem when he can't throw a buzz 325 350. Teebirds and Buzzzes are totally incomparable from the way you grip to the angle of the release to the flight pattern. You can throw your Teebird 400. You don't have a problem, buddy.

Ahh, for those who were confused about Three Putt's statement about guys giving bad advice, check out this guy. Hey buddy, you don't have a ****ing clue what you're talking about. Both discs can, and should, be thrown with the same grip. And they should have different release angles, because everyone should learn how to manipulate these release angles for desired throws. K, bye.

I appreciate all the advice. I have some form issues that I have been working out, currently getting more hip rotation into my throws.

I'm not trying to start any arguements, but I really can throw my Teebird almost 400' on a golf-line hyzer-flip. Yes, the Teebird is pretty used (old 11x KC Pro) but I can still get it out there.

I am currently looking to make my mids more accurate, not nessicarily longer (hence the thinking for the Gazelle). I throw a lot of hyzers and anhyzers with my mids, and not a lot of straight shots. I have gotten to a point with my drivers that I am fairly predictable and accurate with my shots. Normally about 50' off basket, but then I two putt. I normally shoot par on most courses b/c my putting game is so terrible, and this has been my main focus of work lately. I am hoping to move to advanced by the end of the year. Right now I sit right around the top of the intermediate ranks.

You should only be about 30-50 ft short with your mids. That is a pretty big gap.

A lot of times players will just throw something more overstable to achieve a shorter drive as well. Just becasue a disc is "slower" doesn't mean it will be shorter.

Maybe try a banshee, tracker, exp, firebird/pred. This will stall out sooner thus maybe filling your gap.