• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Teesigns

Those signs are so nice they probably have them hanging on there wall at home lol... F'n Jerks!

some call me...tim? said:
And Lyle, I assume you've seen the thread on NWDGN, right?

Yea, Tim, I saw that thread. There are some good ideas in it, but I'm looking around a bit more for a variety of solutions.

What it comes down to now I guess is easily replaceable vs. cheap and durable.

Hi, guys. I just wanted to inject a little truth and clarity about the signs in Cary, NC, since you were discussing them and seemed to be missing some facts.

First of all, the parks department knew that vandalism was likely to be an issue going in. There was no problem with the signs provided by HouckDesign. After we saw this thread, we checked with our contact at the parks department. Here is his reply:

"Regarding the vandalism at Middle Creek Disc Golf Course is due to the fact that the course is adjacent to a high school. Our restroom as well as some of the baskets have been damaged due to vandalism and the Town had to do some pretty creative detective work in order to catch the people who were doing the damage. Your signs are very attractive and therefore ideal for a souvenir."

It's very easy to get half the story, and I would encourage some of you not to jump to conclusions. For example, if you assumed that the signs were framed, you would have been mistaken. And if you assumed that we had charged the parks department for a second set of signs (as in "wow, that's doublin up on step 3: profit"), then you would have been mistaken again. We replaced all the signs on that course for free, even though the vandalism was not the result of any error on our part.

When you jump to conclusions based on incomplete facts, you don't serve yourself or your fellow readers very well. And you certainly aren't being fair to the people you're badmouthing.

We all want answers, and it takes a lot of discipline to resist the urge to fill in the missing facts. But I assume we all want to be fair and find the truth. Uh oh -- there I go assuming...

In any case, thanks to all of you who have supported and continue to support HouckDesign. We will continue in our mission to make the highest quality signs in the disc golf world.

John

Cat-YouJustGotServed-727855.jpg

Kinda nice when we have key people from the disc golf scene posting, but it kinda sucks when their first post has to be something like John's :/

Either way, my thread has been derailed, and I am not really any closer to having a cheap and durable teesign that can hold hole info and sponsor info.

Yeah it was a bad week for Frank D :lol:

Parks there are good options for what you want, but it's not a cheap thing.

HOWEVER the cheapest way to do it is club effort, and the most efficient design is to put the information on a permanent object. If cost really is a concern, then I think your focus should be how to DIY.

Well I really don't want to start a he said/she said thing with John so I'll just say that I was working off of what I was told.

Anyway some club fundraising tourneys would be a good way to get teesigns in.

Frank Delicious said:
Anyway some club fundraising tourneys would be a good way to get teesigns in.

Already doing as many fundraising tourneys/weeklies as possible. The problem is we have the land to put in two courses and more on our plate than we can fund, so cheap is a necessity. Vandalism is a major problem so durability is also a necessity.

Leopard: I am looking into DIY solutions mostly, was just seeing if any clubs had solved a similar problem.

One of the courses around here had a guy who hand painted the teesigns on some wood and then lacquered them up. They weren't great but if the right person does them, I could see that being a good cheap solution.

One of the courses I play has 4x4's in the ground, and they have the course design on a computer they print out.
Then laminate that. If Vandalism is that big of a deal, eventually people are going to get tired of taking pieces of laminated paper. The 4x4 in the ground is your biggest purchase, and I don't really know what they used to get the print out's of the course, but it's all cartoonish, not actual scenic pictures of the course. You make enough of those and just keep stabling them to the post if someone decides to rip them down? It's somewhat cost affective as it's only a laminated sheet of copy paper. But, unless you're going to literally spend money to make a true vandal proof sign. Then there is almost no middle ground if the vandals will continue. You're just throwing more money away in the end. These signs aren't the fanciest, but they get the job done. All necessary info is on there.

*Editing this as I have an idea for something, but unsure right now as to how it'd work, and if you could consistantly make them vandal proof. I'll update it as I do some research. But, It's going to involve some painting, and creativity, and could be slightly time consuming for one person. If you had a day to paint these, then one person could finish the vandal proofing, it'd help. But, anyway. I'll figure this out soon.*

The current idea of the people making the sign is somewhat similar to that, Lithicon.

Here's my idea. I have no experience with something like this so I don't know if it will work.

Basically you get a 4x4 (or something bigger if needed, or multiple 4x4s bound together) and cut the top at a 30 degree angle.

Make "stencils" of the holes in sheet metal or a cheaper/better suitable medium.

Use a wood burning tool or better device (dremel tool?) to trace out the stencil on top of the 30 degree angle. Then put in hole number, par, and length info on the front of the post similar to this: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=2705&d=1258755861

It would be really sturdy, relatively cheap, and if the top is vandalized or the hole is changed you can just cut a 1/4 inch off the top and redraw it from the stencil.

The top may need to be treated in some way to make it look good and weather-proof it.

Is this idea possible, and is it a good solution?

Well, while that could work. I'd say that's a bit more expensive than just printing the paper out and laminating it and stapling it to the single 4x4 post, lol. But, If you wanted to do that, yeah I'm quite sure it'd work well. And, yeah any sort of weather proofing deck stain, or something could be put on the top of the wood so that water wouldn't rot the wood.

I've been thinking about my current solution, and I'll probably get an idea of the price here soon, and that'll be the biggest factor as to wether it's cost effective enough to make it worth while.

Tocobaga uses these signs, pretty basic and not attractive enough to encourage vandalism.

8b918814.jpg

This one is from Taylor Park, they seem to get broken often though I think that might just be because the county does make them that sturdily as opposed to actual vandalism.

c6ac302d.jpg

Just the fact the main issue was vandalism is why I mentioned the paper. Who would want to steal it, other than ripping it down? They'll eventually give up. But, the idea is good for the topic. But, they could mess those up still.

His idea is quite good with the carvings also, I agree. Just could be messed up as well.

We're currently doing laminated paper stapling for holes that have an unvandalized old tee sign (4x4 with a "picture" frame that can hold landscape or portrait paper).

It is certainly ugly, but it is acceptable for now. It is cheap, easy to replace, and easy to update with sponsor info for tournaments.

A lot of these teesigns are busted because the frame gives people something to kick, and the signs are tall enough that you can get enough leverage to break the 4x4.

Hi, Guys --

Just another quick derailing of the topic. It just seems strange to me that anyone thought I was attacking Frank. I believet I was careful enough in choosing my words -- I think a close read shows I was not picking on Frank at all.

For the record, Frank was right to say that our signs had been vandalized and that we had replaced them. Them's just the facts.

The only place he went wrong, in my opinion, was to say that HouckDesign signs are easily vandalized -- any signs mounted that way in that park would be easily vandalized. But I didn't even take issue with Frank on that.

Hope that makes my remarks slightly clearer. As you were.

Thanks,
John

johnrhouck said:
Hi, Guys --

Just another quick derailing of the topic. It just seems strange to me that anyone thought I was attacking Frank. I believet I was careful enough in choosing my words -- I think a close read shows I was not picking on Frank at all.

For the record, Frank was right to say that our signs had been vandalized and that we had replaced them. Them's just the facts.

The only place he went wrong, in my opinion, was to say that HouckDesign signs are easily vandalized -- any signs mounted that way in that park would be easily vandalized. But I didn't even take issue with Frank on that.

Hope that makes my remarks slightly clearer. As you were.

Thanks,
John

If you wasted more time on this board you would realize that we give Frank shit for absolutely any reason, warranted or otherwise. :lol: