• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Tell me about the Innova SL.

Burrito

Birdie Member
Never tried one, never seen one. Is it similar to the TL (which I love). The Innova site makes it sound appealing, but I've never heard of anyone playing it.

I may order a few to try out, based on feedback. If it's similar to the TL but longer, I'm in. If it's a totally different experience, then I may pass.

Saying it is like a faster TL is a more accurate description. I wouldnt say a SL goes much farther because the TL has more glide but if you like a larger rimmed disc with similiar characteristics its a great disc to try. Ive tried pretty much every run of them and if you can get your hands on the first run Proto Star ones those seem to be the best.

not a big fan of mine(star)... it's suppose to be a straighter starfie and I can't really see a difference, You have to put quite a bit behind it, and I throw the TL just as far, and with way more consistency.

The "L" stands for less stable. The EL, FL, SL, and TL are all less stable versions of the Eagle, Firebird, Starfire, and Teebird. Here's an image of their flight paths and distances when thrown flat and at their intended power:

attachment.php

Yeah, the SL is designed to go a greater distance than the TL, but other than that, I don't think that the two are all that related.

Attachments

• LFlights.PNG
    LFlights.PNG
    22.1 KB · Views: 358
I throw both the TL and SL and I love both discs. The SL is faster than the TL with similar high speed stability but a harder fade out. One of the things I love about the SL is that it feels like a slightly bigger TL in the hand. I find it to be a good go to distance driver as I don't really have the arm for anything much faster. For reference I can throw the TL up to 370' and the SL I've thrown up to 400'. There's something wrong with that picture and once I figure it out I hope to get to the point where I can throw the SL reliably up to 430'.

SL is like the hottest girl u ever dated and then she dumps you. I've had amazing throws with it but it is extremely sensitive so be careful

not a big fan of mine(star)... it's suppose to be a straighter starfie and I can't really see a difference, You have to put quite a bit behind it, and I throw the TL just as far, and with way more consistency.

I've thrown both.
You have to put a lot of speed to the Star SL to get it to fly right. )Champ SL's are very rare. They never got into regular production.)
If you are turning your TL over consistently, then it might be the disc to try.
If you're hoping to throw it just like the TL and get more distance, then it is not the right disc for your needs. It will fade out before it gets that far.
The Pro Starfire may be a better choice. It is the SL mold, and because of the Pro plastic will need less speed and will glide better.

SL is like the hottest girl u ever dated and then she dumps you. I've had amazing throws with it but it is extremely sensitive so be careful

I agree. A good throw, and its great. Make a bad throw, and its unforgiving. It doesnt care much for the wind either.

I have two of them in my bag, one in Pro and one in Star. Both max weight, both fly the same. Love them both. They are my goto drivers for with-the-wind or calm shots that I don't want to turn. My long drive is around 330' - 350'.

I would recommend the Pro Starfire.(it's the same as the Star SL mold) It has noticeably more glide than the Star SL, IMO. It's my main distance driver for anything I can't reach with the Teebird. Great hyzer-flip disc and downwind driver.

It's bad marketing. Nobody buys them because of the name. Good disc though.

I've been throwing the SL in Star plastic for the last year or so. For the most part I find it to be a stable disc that doesn't really like toooo much hyzer or anny. Put too much on it either way and the results are not that desirable. Maybe it's just my shot, but when I tweak it a little too much there isn't much forgiveness.
But once you get the hang of it and develop your "SL shot", you'll probably like this disc. When thrown correctly, it does fly like a Beast. I like the fact that it has low fade and isn't really a skipper.

Latest posts