• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas Collegiate Championships- No Overhands?

What defines an "overhand"? What what if you are throwing one hell of a hyzer forehand? Doesnt that look kinda over handish? Or even a roller that comes way over the top? This just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Not to mention, its just stupid. Especially a rated event.

Something to consider...one of the reasons this may have been approved is as a test by the Game Development Team. The best way to see if a rule is going to work as intended is to actually use it. Giving this event a waiver doesn't necessarily open the door for others. If the results of the overhand ban don't match the original intent of the ban, no more waivers will be granted for such a rule.

Basically, agree or disagree with this event/waiver, it's not really the end of the world that it happened.

GDT is interested in what happens but not the instigator of this overhand restriction "experiment". It was a specific request made by Jay as a way to deal with his specific situation.

What defines an "overhand"? What what if you are throwing one hell of a hyzer forehand? Doesnt that look kinda over handish? Or even a roller that comes way over the top? This just sounds like a recipe for disaster. Not to mention, its just stupid. Especially a rated event.

Indeed. When does a sidearm become an overhand? Was the ban on a particular arm angle or a particular disc flight. I don't throw overhand but I wouldn't consider playing in such an idiotically run event.

GDT is interested in what happens but not the instigator of this overhand restriction "experiment". It was a specific request made by Jay as a way to deal with his specific situation.

I'm aware of that. I was more referring to why the waiver was granted and ratings were allowed. Since I know you were involved in the decision-making. ;)

Providing ratings was a no-brainer. It's still conventional disc golf. There are many courses where throwing an overhand isn't possible, easy or desirable from the tee but may be possible from other fairway locations.

Providing ratings was a no-brainer. It's still conventional disc golf. There are many courses where throwing an overhand isn't possible, easy or desirable from the tee but may be possible from other fairway locations.

There exist players who throw overhand almost exclusively, on every course, whether or not you believe it is possible, easy, or desirable. Some of them score very well using this style but would not be able to play up to their potential or rating at an event such as the described. If they play 100 points below their rating, or more, because of an "artificial" restriction, I doubt they would be pleased.

There exist players who throw overhand almost exclusively, on every course, whether or not you believe it is possible, easy, or desirable. Some of them score very well using this style but would not be able to play up to their potential or rating at an event such as the described. If they play 100 points below their rating, or more, because of an "artificial" restriction, I doubt they would be pleased.
I'm not making a judgment on whether certain players may be impacted, just that the ratings process in general isn't impacted by this throw restriction any more than playing open courses versus wooded courses versus windy courses, etc.

I agree. If this is your preferred throwing style you'd be SOL at this tournament.

Makes one wonder could or would a TD hold a legit, rated event on a little public park beginner's course by imposing an artificial restriction such as throwing left handed only. Lefties would be happy but right handers sure wouldn't.

Easily the stupidest thing I've heard in years, this no overhand rule. Complete f-bombing joke of a tournament with this rule. How embarrassing for everyone involved in this decision, you will all be laughed out of the sport on your way to the ninth level of the pit of hell.

Hashtag- Notarealsport.

Chuck, would the pdga truly ever consider not letting a player throw right hand forehand because the designer intended turnover shots to be used? What about a tournament where only forehands can be used?

It seems to me a decision has been made because it does not impact a majority of players. This is not how real sports operate. There are instances in other sports where certain equipment can't be used or a certain style is actually limited, but they are set as a separate class and aren't compared to "normal" matches.

While the the ability to rate rounds is not affected, the rating results will be as compared to a tournament where all legal throws are available. It may not be easily discernablr due to the small number of overhand predominant players, but as the number of those players go up it would be statistically significant at some point.

The heck with the ratings thing here (they're not really all that relevant / accurate anyway) but you have a state's collegiate championship here! To a lot of 18-22 y.o. dgers that IS a big deal...some of whom just had their hands tied behind their backs. NG.

Also, not saying this is being done, but this could be used as a competitive advantage if the school hosting knows the strengths and weaknesses of their opponent.

I'm not making a judgment on whether certain players may be impacted, just that the ratings process in general isn't impacted by this throw restriction any more than playing open courses versus wooded courses versus windy courses, etc.
You are correct. There aren't enough OH players to impact ratings. I wonder how many players would need to have their rounds wrecked before the rest of the field would find their round ratings artificially inflated?

Hashtag- Notarealsport.

Chuck, would the pdga truly ever consider not letting a player throw right hand forehand because the designer intended turnover shots to be used? What about a tournament where only forehands can be used?

It seems to me a decision has been made because it does not impact a majority of players. This is not how real sports operate. There are instances in other sports where certain equipment can't be used or a certain style is actually limited, but they are set as a separate class and aren't compared to "normal" matches.

While the the ability to rate rounds is not affected, the rating results will be as compared to a tournament where all legal throws are available. It may not be easily discernablr due to the small number of overhand predominant players, but as the number of those players go up it would be statistically significant at some point.

Well thankfully DG isnt a real sport and its a hobby so they found the loophole.

The heck with the ratings thing here (they're not really all that relevant / accurate anyway) but you have a state's collegiate championship here! To a lot of 18-22 y.o. dgers that IS a big deal...some of whom just had their hands tied behind their backs. NG.

They need to learn at some point life isnt fair.

Latest posts