• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texas State Championship

I might go watch the top open players in person for once, will probably go for the final round.

You are in for a great time. As a newbie the first time I saw the pros at the KC Wide Open, Climo, Barry, Ron Russell and many more 16 years ago I learned so much. When they ripped up my home course that's when I realized just how good the pros are. They showed me what was possible. Don't forget any of your spectator goodies; chair, brewskies, munchies, etc. Hope you have a great time.

as scoring levels out over the next few days I would expect that to go over 1100 - his round is driving the ratings down. 6 strokes clear of the field after the first round (!)

as scoring levels out over the next few days I would expect that to go over 1100 - his round is driving the ratings down. 6 strokes clear of the field after the first round (!)

I don't think that's how it works. Rounds are rated independent of later rounds on the same course. Unless you're saying a 17 down tomorrow will probably be higher, which I'm not sure I follow on why.

His round is only driving ratings down if he is one of the 5 propagators.

I don't think that's how it works. Rounds are rated independent of later rounds on the same course. Unless you're saying a 17 down tomorrow will probably be higher, which I'm not sure I follow on why.

Unofficial ratings are calculated on a round by round basis. For official ratings, if two separate rounds on the same layout are statistically close enough, they generally are combined for ratings calculations. So when the official numbers for the tournament come out, tomorrow's rounds could have some influence on the ratings for today's round.

As for propagators, EVERYONE is a propagator if they have a rating over 800 and their average includes a minimum of 5-8 rounds. Pretty sure Rick clears that bar pretty easily.

This was my first event spectating top pros. I played this course a few weeks ago. One of the longer and more heavily water/OB lined courses i know about.

The length and accuracy of these guys is exceptional.

I for sure as hell didn't think -17 was possible on this course. Simply amazing consistency

Anyone know why McBeth won't be on the lead card (according to the tee times on PDGA)? I always thought the tie breaker was the lower PDGA number, which would put McBeth ahead of Oakley.

As JC mentioned, rounds on the same course often get averaged. I had this experience at the blockhouse when Barry shot 44 (so dumb) on the darkside and it drove the ratings down. When the ratings went official Barry's round went from 1070-something to 1088 and mine from that round went from 958 to 967. Just one example but I have seen it happen on several occasions when one guy goes completely nuts relative to the rest of the field.

Anyone know why McBeth won't be on the lead card (according to the tee times on PDGA)? I always thought the tie breaker was the lower PDGA number, which would put McBeth ahead of Oakley.

Tiebreaker can be anything the TD chooses to use, so long as it is used consistently applied for all ties. Lower PDGA number is the method most commonly used at the biggest PDGA events (typically where PDGA staff are involved), but it isn't required by any means.

1.9 Tie Breakers
A. Between rounds when the groups are being reset, tied positions shall be broken. The player with the lowest score in the most recent round shall have the highest ranking when the scorecards/positions are reset. In the event of ties for lowest score across all previous rounds, the ties shall be broken by the Tournament Director through a consistently applied manner such as lowest PDGA number or alphabetical by last name.​

One player out of 87 propagators doesn't make a significant difference. (That's the MPO and MPM fields. It looks like the other divisions in Group A played different tees or something)

With Ricky:
Avg propagator rating = 973.345
Avg propagator score = 57.529

Without Ricky:
Avg propagator rating = 972.453
Avg propagator score = 57.698

Ricky's score might be affecting the overall ratings by 1 point.

Latest posts