• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The 2014 Memorial Championship

Memorial

I don't think he has been denied access to filming. But it wouldn't surprise me if in the future they started charging for media access to events.

Looks like the Memorial turned down free live broadcasting. Too bad. Terry Miller had sponsors and everything lined up but the event sponsor pulled the plug. It could be they were unsure of how well Terry could pull it off, or maybe they didn't like the fact that Legacy was a big sponsor. It isn't known for sure.

Either way, I think it is short sided. They are missing out on free advertising and denying the average person the ability to see live disc golf. :wall:

Discraft, like any other business, is interested in their bottom line. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to discover that the DGP coverage was a huge drain on resources for little, if any, return. I don't blame them one bit.

I don't think he has been denied access to filming. But it wouldn't surprise me if in the future they started charging for media access to events.

My apologies. He was talking about majors and the USDGC. I can't reads so good...:eek:

Discraft, like any other business, is interested in their bottom line. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to discover that the DGP coverage was a huge drain on resources for little, if any, return. I don't blame them one bit.
Having worked with DGP in the past, I can say that it wasn't a drain on resources. And much like DGP, the production that Terry had setup required ZERO assistance from the event or Discraft. All that was required was permission to broadcast.

The return for them is the free advertisement of their event and their product. Offers were suggested to put commercials FOR Discraft at no cost to them as a "thank you". But they felt that they were not getting enough or anything out of it.

I respect their decision, but I disagree with it.

I haven't heard anyone even try to argue why they would possibly turn down free coverage and exposure for their event? I don't get it personally. Seems like a great way to alianate( or short of people actually caring, then just plain ignoring ) the masses in a disc golf world with more and more options are seemingly popping up every month now.

What happens if the local news shows up for local coverage? Will the sponsor/crew ask them to leave? I call shenanigans. Any kind of exposure would be good for dg so why all the fuss?

When we have thousands upon thousands of people who want to watch the game then I can understand this business side of it. Right now it just makes everybody look like a bunch of little girls going back and forth. What a joke

I wonder if this has anything to do with all the Innova commercials that filled last year's broadcast. It certainly didn't look like Discraft's event.

Conflicting sponsors? I don't suppose Discraft is too excited about promoting a competitor.

Maybe that's it but I seem to remember quite a bit of cross pollination in other live event broadcasts. IE. What Steve Dodge promotes.

If Discraft wants to be known as the company that won't work with other companies to please the masses and potentially further the sport than fine. Have fun continuing to see your already small share of the market be eaten up.

If Discraft wants to be known as the company that won't work with other companies to please the masses and potentially further the sport than fine. Have fun continuing to see your already small share of the market be eaten up.

That's been happening pretty quickly, too. They don't have any value in the collectible market, and you rarely hear their name on here. I can't imagine their hold on #2 in the market is as solidified as it once was, if they even still hold that place.

This is exactly what Discraft does in my experience.

No disc golf company is perfect. As a customer, I have complaints about each of them (and none are product realted). But Discraft is at the bottom of the list for me.

Discraft probably didn't want a competitor sponsoring the live broadcast. But, they also are not willing to underwrite the broadcast themselves. The option was floated for free commercials and promotion and they were not interested. I can only assume it might be a bad taste left from the Innova sponsored broadcasts in the past.

We were looking at putting out a very similar broadcast as to what the Vibram was last year. Single camera with commentator right alongside the lead group for all 4 rounds.

C'est la vie. There will be other options in the future.

This sucks. :thmbdown: I was looking forward to watching live disc golf from the Memorial.

But we are getting Marty McGee! This means:

1. No Cray-Cray and Greenie
2. No commercials
3. Consistent HD
4. Actual professionalism
5. No sketchy signal

While it isn't live, MM's turnaround on videos is super fast. Remember USDGC? We had full vids of rounds usually THAT evening.

I am glad that Marty is going to be there, because I enjoy his videos. But there is no drama in watching recorded videos like there is in watching it live. It is a completely different experience. Plenty of room for both.

And FYI. This wasn't going to be DGP doing the broadcast this year, this was a new endeavor by Terry Miller and some other people (including myself).

I am glad that Marty is going to be there, because I enjoy his videos. But there is no drama in watching recorded videos like there is in watching it live. It is a completely different experience. Plenty of room for both.

And FYI. This wasn't going to be DGP doing the broadcast this year, this was a new endeavor by Terry Miller and some other people (including myself).

This sounds interesting.

That's great news. I thought he said he was denied access to film the Memorial.

I can confirm I will indeed be filming the Memorial. All this talk was making me nervous, naturally, but I got word yesterday from "the horse's mouth" that I'm still green lighted. Signed, sealed, delivered.

I can confirm I will indeed be filming the Memorial. All this talk was making me nervous, naturally, but I got word yesterday from "the horse's mouth" that I'm still green lighted. Signed, sealed, delivered.

That's fantastic news. I reread your thread and realized it was the USDGC you were talking about, not the Memorial. Looking forward to your coverage!