• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

dusty5150

Double Eagle Member
I really think this needs it's own space. Let's bring together questions for MJ and specific Comet talk into one thread.

ps. everyone e-mail Discraft requesting a special edition fly dye esp MJ signature comet!

Last edited:
I really think this needs it's own space. Let's bring together questions for MJ and specific Comet talk into one thread.

ps. everyone e-mail Discraft requesting a special edition fly dye elite ESP MJ signature comet!

Great Idea!

and, I'll go first:

I'm looking for an out of the box undestable midrange to replace beat up dx rocs. I've tried an esp meteor and didn't like it. I've thrown an Opto Fuse about 4 times and LOVED it.

Do I need to try a Comet? How does it compare to the Fuse and/or beat up dx rocs?

and, I'll go first:

I'm looking for an out of the box undestable midrange to replace beat up dx rocs. I've tried an esp meteor and didn't like it. I've thrown an Opto Fuse about 4 times and LOVED it.

Do I need to try a Comet? How does it compare to the Fuse and/or beat up dx rocs?

I can answer this one.

An X Comet is what you're looking for. They are less high speed dependent than a Fuse, making it easier to work lines and hold turnover lines that don't fade out. Much closer to a beat up dx roc than a Fuse.

...I've thrown an Opto Fuse about 4 times and LOVED it.

Do I need to try a Comet?

If you LOVED an Opto Fuse, why don't you use that? Or you could buy an X Comet like VictorB suggested and see which one you like best. The newer X plastic from Discraft feels really nice and has a bit of grip to it.

If you LOVED an Opto Fuse, why don't you use that? Or you could buy an X Comet like VictorB suggested and see which one you like best. The newer X plastic from Discraft feels really nice and has a bit of grip to it.

Sorry, I loved the Fuse for what it was, but it's not the understable disc I'm looking for. I should have elaborated. From what I could tell, the Fuse would be more of a Buzzz, which are like my seasoned rocs. I'm trying to get away from depending on dx rocs in certain stages of wear and the Fuse will likely make it there, but not for what I think the Comet might be an answer for.

and, I'll go first:

it did replace my beat up rocs and coyotes. It can be a bit finicky to get the hang of at first, the main thing is to throw it nice and easy while learning it. Its a great disc cause it shows the flaws in your throw really well

MJ,

What other hobbies or interests outside of DG do you have if any?

lets see all sorts, i enjoy playing cards, play paintball some in the winter, i enjoy ball golf, those are the more active ones besides playing with my dog. :thmbup:

for really flippy roc replacements, which is what i think you are after x-comets are nice and flippy out of the box

MJ, what type of putt do you use? When you putt, it's like you don't even think about it. You just go up and boom, it's in the basket.

Comet Love: This is the only disc I will compulsively buy. If I see a Comet I like, I have to buy it, kind of like that conspiracy theory character Mel Gibson played who had to buy any copy of Catcher in the Rye he saw. I only have two Comets backed (a beat Z and a seasoned ESP that will still fade predictably), but I just keep buying them! I really like the newer X Comets--that plastic is very pretty and nicely grippy. X Comets are awesome. I use Comets on any hole I can up to 325' or so, as long as conditions are right for it.

Question for MJ: I like your golf style (seems close to mine, if I was an incredible golfer). One thing that strikes me is your putting style: you seem to just get up to your lie and bang it in. I'm a decent putter (one of the better parts of my game), but it takes me longer than I'd like to get the putt off (probably around 15 seconds on average). Did you always putt so quickly, or is that some thing you developed after you were comfortable with your style? Did you work on being quick in particular? I could see how that would be an advantage for the mental game. Thanks!

MJ, what type of putt do you use? When you putt, it's like you don't even think about it. You just go up and boom, it's in the basket.

its kind of a spin putt, I just like to keep the disc on line with the basket the whole way if i can. Its what suits my eye and kinda how my brain works. I feel like i take a long time over some putts, then i look at some that are on video that i swore i took 30 sec and it was only like 5!

MJ,
Thanks for showing me how to do a high anny with a Comet.
I saw how you threw your tee shot on Hole 15 (the Horseshoe) at Castle Hayne.
You put it up very high on an anny and let it float down on that anny line.
I'm left-handed and I started using that same shot (with my ESP Comet) on #2 and #8 at the Castle.
Been fairly successful with it.
Any tips on that shot?
Also appreciated your attitude and demeanor while you destroyed the course record(s).
You, sir, are a true professional.

i didnt particularly work on being a quick putter, its just what developed for me. The longer i look at it the more stupid things i begin to think about. One reason it looks like i putt so quickly is the fact that the bulk of my routine is how iget the disc out of the bag and mark my lie, so most of my mental thoughts are done before i ever step up to my putt and it has my head in a good place.

as a side note, i used to be a horrible putter! It took me a long time to realize that i like putting with shallow rim putters

MJ,
Thanks for showing me how to do a high anny with a Comet.
I saw how you threw your tee shot on Hole 15 (the Horseshoe) at Castle Hayne.
You put it up very high on an anny and let it float down on that anny line.
I'm left-handed and I started using that same shot (with my ESP Comet) on #2 and #8 at the Castle.
Been fairly successful with it.
Also appreciated your attitude and demeanor while you destroyed the course record(s).
You, sir, are a true professional.

thank you! Glad i could show you something. That place is one of my favorites to play.

and, I'll go first:

FWIW, I've had some trouble with getting the hang of the Comet. I'll second what the man himself said, it really does tell you what you're doing wrong.

I've found the Fuse to be similar in flight, for for some reason I can control it a bit better.

If you really like the Fuse, and the Opto is too "buzzzy," you might try to find a couple in the "test run" plastic they put out. I'm not sure about now, but dgcenter had quite a few available, and they were pretty cheap, like $7-8 or something. Fair warning, the test run material beats up pretty fast, but is more like what a Comet does. I don't know what the GL Fuse is like, but maybe better for your needs than the Opto???

You don't have to answer this if you don't want to, but what happened at the USDGC this year?