• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

This year you have played the Rumble, Titan Open, and Des Moines Challenge, what Iowa course(s) are your favorite? Also what course(s) in the Madison area do you favor/play the most?

My favorite Iowa course by far is wildcat ridge! Would live to have that one as my home course. As far as Madison area I really like the wilderness campground course. However most of my play has been at elver while I have been here, since where I am staying is only a short drive from it

Do you putt Soft Ringers still, or made the jump to the GT version? If so, how are those treating you?

You have this backwards. I love rolling ridge!! Now the silver creek layout they used this year i could do without.
Not sure who is telling you i didn't like RR. The only thing I didn't like about it this year was my own play. 😂

Ah, perhaps your opinion of the Silver Creek layout inadvertently affected your performance on the latter courses. I know you tend to lose motivation if you play a course that you dislike (or a good course with a weird play format, like that one USDGC when they had you rethrow without penalty if you went OB). I was just asking friends what happened at RR since I expected you to slay it that round, and the answer I got back was something about you not liking the course. I guess I could have asked which course!

Ah, perhaps your opinion of the Silver Creek layout inadvertently affected your performance on the latter courses. I know you tend to lose motivation if you play a course that you dislike (or a good course with a weird play format, like that one USDGC when they had you rethrow without penalty if you went OB). I was just asking friends what happened at RR since I expected you to slay it that round, and the answer I got back was something about you not liking the course. I guess I could have asked which course!

I just struggled to score very well that round at RR. One of those days where you just find yourself in the slightly off position on lots of holes.
The silver creek layout they used this year was just very hard to follow when practicing it. Jumping around on the course was very confusing

I just struggled to score very well that round at RR. One of those days where you just find yourself in the slightly off position on lots of holes.
The silver creek layout they used this year was just very hard to follow when practicing it. Jumping around on the course was very confusing

I honestly enjoyed Silver Creek a lot more when it was the old 18 layout. The new holes are nice if you're looking to play more golf, but they don't fit in with the feel of the original 18. It's like the course has a split personality. Not sure what layout they used this year but I'm sure if you add more walking to the mix it won't enhance the overall experience.

And yeah, RR is one of those courses where you'd rather be off by a lot than by a little. Some of those kicks from near-perfect drives can be quite demoralizing.

Would love to hear your overall thoughts and impressions of Ledgestone this weekend

Would love to hear your overall thoughts and impressions of Ledgestone this weekend

I thought it was a very well run event and enjoyed the serious challenge that the lake eureka course presents. Yes there are somethings that need to be worked on and addressed, but overall it was a very good event.
They seem to do a good job making improvements each year on things and I like that they get the layout and caddy book up on their page early enough that as a competitor I have a chance to see what I am in for before I get to the course for practice rounds. Good job by Nate and all his staff. Running such a large event is a hell of an undertaking

I watched MJ Saturday (know Reid F so was following him), what y'all say on here is 100% true...very nice guy.

And you watched me on my struggle bus round too! My legs were so shot that day, it was a fight for me

I thought it was a very well run event and enjoyed the serious challenge that the lake eureka course presents. Yes there are somethings that need to be worked on and addressed, but overall it was a very good event.
They seem to do a good job making improvements each year on things and I like that they get the layout and caddy book up on their page early enough that as a competitor I have a chance to see what I am in for before I get to the course for practice rounds. Good job by Nate and all his staff. Running such a large event is a hell of an undertaking

I'd love to travel and play it one year...btw your Round 1 shot on hole 15 is easily one of the best golf shots I've ever watched :hfive:

And you watched me on my struggle bus round too! My legs were so shot that day, it was a fight for me

As a point of reference, I was the one laughing because Ezra R was calling you "Mr. Johanson" when he was asking for scores. (I heard the day before he was calling Ricky, "Mr. Wysocki", so you don't have to feel too old!). At least the young man has manners.

MJ, do the Sting and Mantis both get into the bag on some courses? Or do you find yourself just picking one or the other?

I watched MJ Saturday (know Reid F so was following him), what y'all say on here is 100% true...very nice guy.

Was that round 3? You looked like you were still in a decent groove despite some tough breaks and a couple off putts.

Reid was really hot and could have done even better. I love the water skip play, especially when it has more distance after the skip. He got lucky that round!

MJ, do the Sting and Mantis both get into the bag on some courses? Or do you find yourself just picking one or the other?

Not MJ, not even close to MJ's ability, but these two discs are VERY different. A Mantis is stable to understable. A max weight, fresh Mantis will come back and/or resist the turn.. Lighter/beat ones can gently go right and not fade back, they hyzer flip to straight well, and they throw a very nice flex forehand.

A Sting is just straight up understable. You can throw these things on a long big right turn anhyzer by releasing flat, it just goes right, and not drift right, straight up "who needs a forehand" right. I'm finding them useful for that very short anny forehand shot too. You know the one that the only throw is a forehand, but you need it to drift left, your normal flex forehand discs need to be thrown a lot harder to actually flex. I've found my Big Z Sting can be gently thrown on a forehand and flex nicely with minimal fade back right.

Completely different discs for me.

Really ends up being one or the other most times for me at this point. Each so some fairly different things for me

MJ,

I'm sure you get asked this question a lot, but what is currently in your bag? Also do you still throw the Heat?

Thanks

MJ,

I'm sure you get asked this question a lot, but what is currently in your bag? Also do you still throw the Heat?

Thanks

As of the moment I am using 2 soft ringer GT(putting), 2 esp banger, one d banger, 3 comets(2 of my tour ones from this year and a new esp comet, esp undertaker, esp machete, Ti Mantis, 2 esp cranks and an esp force. All the esp ones are the new swirl plastic

I like my jawbreaker Banger GT, but I wish it was in firmer plastic. After all the free promotion Big Jerk has given your purple Banger, have you thought of having a special limited run of purple ESPs made up?
I can see it my head, super simple stamp "F.P.B." with your sig underneath

I like my jawbreaker Banger GT, but I wish it was in firmer plastic. After all the free promotion Big Jerk has given your purple Banger, have you thought of having a special limited run of purple ESPs made up?
I can see it my head, super simple stamp "F.P.B." with your sig underneath

I'm working on getting esp bangers made again

Latest posts