• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

they arent crazy stable mids at all. they are meant to be thrown at slower speeds and let the glide of the disc do the work/ they do allow you to hit gaps really easily and show flaws in your technique

Yeah, I went in to it thinking I could throw at ~80% and it would be dead straight or hyzer flip to straight with a brand new one closer to full power. But it definitely needs more touch than that. I really need an open field and a lot of height to throw it hard. Anyway I'll keep trying it. When I get it right its a thing of beauty. I threw one on hole 6 at RL the other day for the first duece I've had on that hole (its a tough one with a crappy sidehand!). Throws like that are why I want to learn to throw it consistently.

i just need to ssrt out a time to get out there. It really isnt that far from me at all considering i live in denver, cramerton isnt that far away at all

Let us know when you want to come out. If you don't mind that is!

Edit: and yes it is a full 18 now. We had some issues with the back nine and the Land Conservancy pulling baskets. :/ But that seems to be resolved for now.

Yeah, I went in to it thinking I could throw at ~80% and it would be dead straight or hyzer flip to straight with a brand new one closer to full power. But it definitely needs more touch than that. I really need an open field and a lot of height to throw it hard. Anyway I'll keep trying it. When I get it right its a thing of beauty. I threw one on hole 6 at RL the other day for the first duece I've had on that hole (its a tough one with a crappy sidehand!). Throws like that are why I want to learn to throw it consistently.

Hey, I don't know if this will help you or not....

I've always struggled with control with the Comet, and have been throwing a Fuse, which I like, but it's basically the same disc. One thing I do when I'm screwing around in the field is, throw the Comet a couple times with nothing touching the rim itself. Like, just pinching the flight plate, and just arm motioning it. It sounds dumb, and it's not a "habit" you want to instill per se, but it helped me to sort of visualize that the Comet works it's magic with way less power than I've wanted to put on it.

Does this make any sense? Part of the nuttiness of the Comet is getting used to how much it can do even if you throw it with as little power as possible. Another example of this would be to just open field the Comet with just your putting motion, and see how glidey it is....

FWIW

any Titanium make it in your bag? If not any mold in specific you would like to see it in? I would be all about a Ti Surge, Zone or of course the Comet

Hey, I don't know if this will help you or not....

I've always struggled with control with the Comet, and have been throwing a Fuse, which I like, but it's basically the same disc. One thing I do when I'm screwing around in the field is, throw the Comet a couple times with nothing touching the rim itself. Like, just pinching the flight plate, and just arm motioning it. It sounds dumb, and it's not a "habit" you want to instill per se, but it helped me to sort of visualize that the Comet works it's magic with way less power than I've wanted to put on it.

Does this make any sense? Part of the nuttiness of the Comet is getting used to how much it can do even if you throw it with as little power as possible. Another example of this would be to just open field the Comet with just your putting motion, and see how glidey it is....

FWIW

I know what you mean. I feel like I can throw it 300 feet without hardly touching it but I can't get it much past that mark. Which is putting it in a strange place for me right now as I can throw putters almost if not just as far as the comet and can throw Rocs or Buzzes much farther. Granted I'm still learning it of course but its been an interesting disc in that what I know from throwing other discs hasn't seemed to carry over to throwing the comet. But, throwing the comet has carried over to throwing other discs.

I know what you mean. I feel like I can throw it 300 feet without hardly touching it but I can't get it much past that mark. Which is putting it in a strange place for me right now as I can throw putters almost if not just as far as the comet and can throw Rocs or Buzzes much farther. Granted I'm still learning it of course but its been an interesting disc in that what I know from throwing other discs hasn't seemed to carry over to throwing the comet. But, throwing the comet has carried over to throwing other discs.

Comets need Height to show their Glide :thmbup:

Comets need Height to show their Glide :thmbup:

Yeah that much I'v figured out. :doh:

Maybe I'm just having difficulty going from throwing hard and low with other discs to soft and high with comets? That might help explain the loss in power I've seen with everything above mids lately.

^^ lol yeah i was up really early the other morning and the movie pat came on.. forgot they were in it :thmbup:
p.gif

Yeah that much I'v figured out. :doh:

Maybe I'm just having difficulty going from throwing hard and low with other discs to soft and high with comets? That might help explain the loss in power I've seen with everything above mids lately.

I think at the end of the day, the way to think about using the Comet is that it covers a wide range of shots from putter to mid shots, but with less power than you generally need to get the putter, or say a Buzzz, to do much the same thing, so that, if you're more accurate with a powered down shot (I'm not yet,) the Comet can be a nice gap-hitter or line-shaper.

I actually mostly use a Fuse for my US mid duties, but I still carry an ESP Comet for shots that I'd normally pull out the Opto Fuse, but in situations where I won't get the same power on it, like limited lies in the rough, where my lower body's out of the equation, or I can't get full arm motion in, etc.

any Titanium make it in your bag? If not any mold in specific you would like to see it in? I would be all about a Ti Surge, Zone or of course the Comet

i have a nuke and a force in there from time to time

This is the same thing, more or less, that MJ said about the Comet in like the first 5-10 pages of this thread...it teaches you what you're doing right/wrong with your technique, and I totally agree. A beat up ESP Comet is still pretty squirrely for me, which tells me I have a lot to learn yet about power/spin control.

Oddly, there's something similar happening for me, at longer range, with the Volt I just picked up. It's not as sensitive to power as the Comet, or say the Stalker, which some compare it to, but it's a disc I can tell will only get more and more useful as my game comes along.

MJ: How do you like the Z and X Comet plus Z Hornet combo, and what types of (mid-range) shots does the Comet/Hornet combo leave lacking for you that you fill with something else? (e.g. your fleet of Bangers in the bag)

I think at the end of the day, the way to think about using the Comet is that it covers a wide range of shots from putter to mid shots, but with less power than you generally need to get the putter, or say a Buzzz, to do much the same thing, so that, if you're more accurate with a powered down shot (I'm not yet,) the Comet can be a nice gap-hitter or line-shaper.

I actually mostly use a Fuse for my US mid duties, but I still carry an ESP Comet for shots that I'd normally pull out the Opto Fuse, but in situations where I won't get the same power on it, like limited lies in the rough, where my lower body's out of the equation, or I can't get full arm motion in, etc.

i think its coming down ot that problem for me right and I hadn't considered it yet. I'm not yet consistent with powerd down shots. I'm comfortable throwing from about 75% to 90% power. I think the upper range of that is somewhat normal even for players more advanced than myself. But the lower range could use some work. If I can stand to use it for the next few months I think the comet can help me extend that down to 60%-50% which would help a lot. At the end of the day I don't know if I'll ever want it in the bag 100% though. I am so comfortable with Flat Top Rocs even though I only threw them for a few months. They really just clicked with me.

MJ: How do you like the Z and X Comet plus Z Hornet combo, and what types of (mid-range) shots does the Comet/Hornet combo leave lacking for you that you fill with something else? (e.g. your fleet of Bangers in the bag)

i like the combo, but i use the buzz as well to fill in the gaps, like the power turnover and a few other things

If not thats their loss. I tell you what you had me on the edge of my seat here and work and Hnest druning worlds!!! Ti comet :)