• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Hey, MJ. Are you changing up your putting form this off-season? I was always in awe of your hair-trigger spin putt. This thread got me off on a putting tangent this afternoon and I'm wondering how you're tweaking the form.

What's everyone going to work on during the offseason?

Mostly trying to make courses in my area suck less. It's been a struggle.

I'm thinking very hard about making the PDGA plunge and getting a membership, playing in tourneys regularly. So I need to work on everything. :D

Hey, MJ. Are you changing up your putting form this off-season? I was always in awe of your hair-trigger spin putt. This thread got me off on a putting tangent this afternoon and I'm wondering how you're tweaking the form.

Just working on fine tuning my form. Been battling hip injuries the last few years and haven't been able to lift and push off of my back leg like I have wanted to. So I am working on getting that and getting my routine back to normal

What's everyone going to work on during the offseason?

Working on 30 ft. and in for putting. That seems to be the area that people lose the most strokes during tournament play. And then working on my 200 ft. and in approach shots. Nothing worse than having 200 ft. to the basket and tripping on your skirt for the upshot.

Not a question, but it's MJ footage, so I figured I'd drop it here. We're almost done with your first round too MJ. I don't have time to go back through this thread, but did you have time to do that in the bag vid? No worries if you didn't. Only reason I ask is I've gotten a lot of people wanting to know what you're throwing on these holes.

Never did an in the bag video, but if you can tell me what color disc and what hole it was I can probably narrow it down or tell you exactly what I am throwing on most shots

You get to try any of the new Ti releases? Ordered a couple of Ti Bangers, can't wait to give 'em a whirl.

Ti Comets, did you say?
Dreams do come true!
Ordered four.

I'm anxious to hear your opinion of the new Ti Comets.

Happy New Year MJ!

When it gets cold out, do you change plastics? I found my Z Comets (and Buzzz, Wasp, etc...) get slick when it gets cold out. I tried the ESP Comet but cracked it against a rock on a long upshot.

Curious how the pro's handle it.

Hey MJ, just wondering if you have tried any Ti Comets or the Ti Banger GT's that are starting to pop up? Plus this thread has been to inactive.

Good point. I had an affair with pro d bangers when they came out. And never will stop throwing comets. I am interested in the comet mans imput.

Quick Q - people use the word "beefy" to describe particularly stable/OS discs. Where does word come from? Are people describing the feel of the disc in hand or purely the flight?

Hey MJ, just wondering if you have tried any Ti Comets or the Ti Banger GT's that are starting to pop up? Plus this thread has been to inactive.

I haven't messed with them at all yet. I have been rather distracted by lots of stuff so I haven't been able to pay as much attention to this thread as I would like

Quick Q - people use the word "beefy" to describe particularly stable/OS discs. Where does word come from? Are people describing the feel of the disc in hand or purely the flight?

That's a fun random one. I got no earthly idea where it came from, but usually means what the flight is like. But I have found that some of these terms mean different things depending on where you live

The lighter a disc, the more understable it tends to be, & conversely, the heavier (or "beefy") it is, the more overstable it tends to be, so this is where I imagine it comes from (that and from the "meat hook" description of a highly fading disc). But I obviously do not know for sure.
MJ, thanks for all of your insight and time! Quick Q - Have you ever played an event where the gallery was so large or unruly that it was a major distraction? If so, do you think we are close to needing much more security at A tier and above events?

I haven't messed with them at all yet. I have been rather distracted by lots of stuff so I haven't been able to pay as much attention to this thread as I would like

The Bangers are dreamy, this is a nice soft blend of Ti close to ESP in stiffness. Hope they make some Wasps in it before long.

Latest posts