• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Ask MJ & Comet Love Thread

Bought an interesting Comet the other day. It's the newer flight number ESP, but it's pearly and a little sparkly, almost like some Big Z got mixed in with it. It's decently domey and about as stable as a Z Comet to start off. How do Big Z Comets fly? I never hear anything about them except talk about their meatball stamp

Bought an interesting Comet the other day. It's the newer flight number ESP, but it's pearly and a little sparkly, almost like some Big Z got mixed in with it. It's decently domey and about as stable as a Z Comet to start off. How do Big Z Comets fly? I never hear anything about them except talk about their meatball stamp

Big z in comets is usually close to z in stability, but can break in a bit faster.

Anybody picking up the ledgestone Cryztal comet and care to comment on how they cruise? (Had to add another alliterative)

MJ, I went back and rewatched the match play between you and Cam Todd back in '13.

I noticed that you were still throwing the XL at that time. If you don't mind me asking what disc did you use to replace it? Why did you switch away from it?

I see that the XL is in the second wave of Ledgestone discs and this is a disc that I have never had in my hands. I am contemplating picking one up and curious on your thoughts. I already know I am buying a short stack ESP Wasps and Colorshift Comets... so excited, I am, for these.

Last edited:
MJ, I went back and rewatched the match play between you and Cam Todd back in '13.

I noticed that you were still throwing the XL at that time. If you don't mind me asking what disc did you use to replace it? Why did you switch away from it?

I see that the XL is in the second wave of Ledgestone discs and this is a disc that I have never had in my hands. I am contemplating picking one up and curious on your thoughts. I already know I am buying a short stack ESP Wasps and Colorshift Comets... so excited, I am, for these.

I swapped away from it because I liked the older ones before the plastic change in like 07 or 08 and I was running out of them. The newer ones were flippier than I liked them to be.
I changed to the mantis when it came out and also use the undertaker
Might swap back to it at some point if it was a production run disc in the swirly esp plastic

Hey MJ,

Know you did a West Coast run last year. Is that in the cards this year? Also, ever considered coming to Canada to play?

Hey MJ,

Know you did a West Coast run last year. Is that in the cards this year? Also, ever considered coming to Canada to play?

No plans to do a west coast swing this year. It was more of a vacation for me last year than an actual playing good golf swing.

Never had the chance to play in Canada, would like to at some point

PEI Canadian Nationals...

No plans to do a west coast swing this year. It was more of a vacation for me last year than an actual playing good golf swing.

Would love to see you throw in the Woods at the Houck designed PEI Canadian Championships

MJ!!! Would be sweet. Gorgeous place for vaca/discin': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rgkmarAuhc&t=1s Alyssa Van Lanen video.

Well if you made it out this way.. Let me know, I can hook you up.. You can play my place too but I only pay skins in CAD or fresh eggs (rainbow dozens (and by that I mean you could have green eggs and ham, or blue or dark brown, couple white eggs just to be a conformist (but those come from the f####n anchonas (the flighitest and most difficult bird ever conceived (kinda like the teenage girl of chickens)))))

:) I think I needed five brackets haha.

Anyhow offers open, heritage course 35+ yrs old and all you need is a Comet and a Banger, maybe one fairway.

Would love to see you throw in the Woods at the Houck designed PEI Canadian Championships

MJ!!! Would be sweet. Gorgeous place for vaca/discin': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rgkmarAuhc&t=1s Alyssa Van Lanen video.

I second this!

BC Championships at the new Raptor's Knoll park would also be great to see some MJ action. I believe CCDG is covering this year, and they're in the cards for nationals for 2021 I believe!

Not playing any events, but still practicing and playing when I can. Mostly working to have money to tour when it starts back up

When those tour series comets drop I'll be sure to support! Speak of the devils, how do they fly / feel? Is the swirly Z kinda grippy? I'm hoping they are stable out of the box too! Love working in comets.

Have you ever tried to develop a power hyzer? Or are you not interested in the style of play?

Also, what do you do for work while not touring?

Have you ever tried to develop a power hyzer? Or are you not interested in the style of play?

Also, what do you do for work while not touring?

At my age its borderline impossible to develop a power hyzer and plus my shoulder doesnt and hip dont like them at all.

I work for a maintenance company doing their finishing and carpentry work