• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The bag of Ian .. 2016 Edition

^^ i did lol .. i had been debating on it for a while now but that pushed me over the edge. Back in the day i would carry 3-4 teebirds, 5 rocs and a bunch of aviars .. so trying to set that up again but with Rivals/Ghosts. It has felt odd having so many molds in the bag over the last year so this will be fun :)

Had a lot of fun throwing this setup over the weekend. Was very different but was a lot of fun! First time i havent had a zone in the bag in... hell i honestly cant remember.. but it almost felt like a crutch so was nice to get it out and focus on throwing more bh putter upshots. Also the anhyzer was a strength of mine in the past but over the last season or two i have been throwing far more hyzerflip lines and hyzerflip turnovers so it was good to get back to throwing something a bit beefier on a true anny then something flippy with crazy hyzer.. All n All was a bit different but with more rounds i think it could really really improve or rather "refresh" my game. Only changes i might make would be inserting a fresh Excel ghost instead of the fresh protege. My current protege just hasnt seasoned enough yet to put in another and the fresh excel makes more sense until the protege breaks in.

168 FR Icon Outlaw (seasoned) : stable-overstable max distance.. bh or fh.. anhyzers, big hyzers, forehand, etc.
168 FR Pinnacle Outlaw (fresh) : overstable max distance... big flex shots, windy days.. the beef!
173 Legend Nemesis : stable to understable max d.. "s" shots, hyzerflips, etc. sneaky long
168 FR Icon Nemesis : understable!.. hyzerflip turnovers, rollers, trick shots, etc.

165 Pinnacle Rival : stable to understable..super straight! wanting to trim molds and this can cover my Patriot lines
168 Pinnacle Rival (flat, stiff, seasoned) : stable workhorse.. the ideal fairway!
168 Pinnacle Rival (domey,pearly) : stable to overstable..fits perfectly between my other two rivals.. super dependable!
172 Gunmetal Legend Rival (domey) - the beef.. big hyzers, windy days, control forehand, etc.

175 Protege Ghost (seasoning) : my stable do it all Ghost.. workhorse!
175 Excel Ghost (new) - straight! Will be replaced once my protege seasons more and i can start a cycle.
175 Excel Ghost (beat) : understable mid.. hzyerflips, turnovers, stand stills, etc.
178 Legend Ghost : overstable duties.. not thrown much but solid dependable fade.. windy days, forehands, etc.

175 Protege Clozer (old stiff white) : my baby..
175 Protege Clozer (old stiff white) : putting putter twin.. practice or if i need a touch more beef
175 Protege Clozer (seasoned : upshots, extra practice putter, etc.
175 Legend Clozer : driving clozer.. great feel and nice and beefy!

168 Champ Firebird (super beat, flat) : forehands, fh rollers, windy days, all around utility
167 Glo Firebird (fresh, super flat) : stupid overstable and i love it!!

Molds : 6
Discs : 18
_________

Last edited:
Damn, that's a nice minimalist setup. About as minimalist as an 18-disc bag can be :D

I keep trying to go in this direction and can never do it. Too attached to some old trusty discs, and they bump up the mold count.

I really like your setup, and I am intrigued that you have a Rival covering your Patriot shots. What color is that lightweight pinnacle Rival? How is the dome on it? I have been searching for a slightly US Rival, but I have yet to find one that really fits the bill.

Right now I throw Rivals and Patriots (love them both), but I prefer the feel of the Rival in my hand. If I could get a Rival that truly covered that stable/US slot...well, I might consider selling off my Patriots.

I had 170ish purple and white pinnacle Rivals that were Patriot-like in stability. More fade, but just as much turn. I actually assumed they were all like that until I nabbed a couple legends and that blue pinnacle from you.

I had 170ish purple and white pinnacle Rivals that were Patriot-like in stability. More fade, but just as much turn. I actually assumed they were all like that until I nabbed a couple legends and that blue pinnacle from you.

How is that blue one working out for you? Hopefully you like it!

Maybe I need to grab a lighter-weight white or purple and do some testing. How was the dome on the ones you threw that were more on the US side?

I really like your setup, and I am intrigued that you have a Rival covering your Patriot shots. What color is that lightweight pinnacle Rival? How is the dome on it? I have been searching for a slightly US Rival, but I have yet to find one that really fits the bill.

Right now I throw Rivals and Patriots (love them both), but I prefer the feel of the Rival in my hand. If I could get a Rival that truly covered that stable/US slot...well, I might consider selling off my Patriots.

Mine is flat, purple and 165g.. tbh i had a seasoned one and i assumed i would be putting it in the bag but couldnt find it so this one is new.. over the weekend i was tossing it and it does have a lil bit of turn but once it breaks in a bit will be perfect! Dont get me wrong i LOVE Pats but wanted to see if i could trim it down and so far so good but its only been 3 rounds. But my plan is next pay period to snag a handful of Excel Rivals and see how they toss :)

Last edited:
Mine is flat, purple and 165g.. tbh i had a seasoned one and i assumed i would be putting it in the bag but couldnt find it so this one is new.. over the weekend i was tossing it and it does have a lil bit of turn but once it breaks in a bit will be perfect! Dont get me wrong i LOVE Pats but wanted to see if i could trim it down and so far so good but its only been 3 rounds. But my plan is next pay period to snag a handful of Excel Rivals and see how they toss :)

An excel Rival sounds interesting! They seem tough to track down, though...unless I am just not looking at the right stores (online).

^^ i found some yesterday.. or i found links to some i didnt actually click to see if the were sold out

and its my weight! But sadly im waiting for my Paypal to clear up.. sold a guy a firebird in April and last month he had fraud charges on his account and the company went too far back on the dates and is now making me pay it back.. which im not.. so im sitting in the negative until it clears .. should be beginning of next week.. so ive heard :\ .. good looking out though my friend.. good looking out! :thmbup:

^^ i posted on the facebook page and they said they are around.. may be tough to find through online stores but i imagine the facebook group has some laying around .. thats my hope anyway .. i mean its no biggy i have some light pinnacles that work fine but just curious .. I LOVED DX Teebirds so would love to try one

^^ i posted on the facebook page and they said they are around.. may be tough to find through online stores but i imagine the facebook group has some laying around .. thats my hope anyway .. i mean its no biggy i have some light pinnacles that work fine but just curious .. I LOVED DX Teebirds so would love to try one

Yeah, DX Teebirds and DX Eagles are amazing. It would make it so much easier to get a Rival cycle started. Pinnacle and Icon just take so long to beat in, especially if you are just a weekend warrior like me.

^^bingo! I have a stack of Rivals/Ghosts etc. that i use at home to throw and break in to try and speed things up but im with ya there.. i love that the plastic takes a while to season but then again.. lol

^^bingo! I have a stack of Rivals/Ghosts etc. that i use at home to throw and break in to try and speed things up but im with ya there.. i love that the plastic takes a while to season but then again.. lol

Very smart to toss some around at home to beat them in faster. Maybe I should try throwing one of my Pinnacle Rivals into my practice basket over and over again to beat it in a bit, lol.

If you ever hear from the facebook folks exactly where to track down a small stack of Excel Rivals, keep me in the loop! I would definitely be interested.

Very smart to toss some around at home to beat them in faster. Maybe I should try throwing one of my Pinnacle Rivals into my practice basket over and over again to beat it in a bit, lol.

If you ever hear from the facebook folks exactly where to track down a small stack of Excel Rivals, keep me in the loop! I would definitely be interested.

sounds good my friend! :thmbup:

The Excel Rivals, I believe, were in the Legacy starter packs. Not sure if you'll find some very easily.

Latest posts