• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

THE BASKETS ARE IN!!!

If you'd like the chance to hit some cars, houses or people with discs on a fairly dull course this is your place. It is by far the worst designed 18 hole park course I have ever seen with regards to safety and other park users. BUT there is a few Ok holes for your enjoyment. I'm sure it will be well worth your roughly 4 hour drive north. :p

Maybe I just don't have the skill or appreciation for challenging courses.

I rarely read reviews of courses I haven't played and likely won't play.....

But I have to say that, after reading the reviews on this course, I'm dying to play it to see for myself if it's the jewel some people think, or the train wreck everyone else does.

Trusted Reviewer rating = 1.5

The rest = 3.4

If you'd like the chance to hit some cars, houses or people with discs on a fairly dull course this is your place. It is by far the worst designed 18 hole park course I have ever seen with regards to safety and other park users. BUT there is a few Ok holes for your enjoyment. I'm sure it will be well worth your roughly 4 hour drive north. :p

Maybe I just don't have the skill or appreciation for challenging courses.

Well, I don't get much chance to hit any of those things around here.

At any rate, there's little chance I'll ever play it, so I'll just have to be content with marveling at the reviews.

I rarely read reviews of courses I haven't played and likely won't play.....

But I have to say that, after reading the reviews on this course, I'm dying to play it to see for myself if it's the jewel some people think, or the train wreck everyone else does.

I described my urge to play this course as the same way you feel when someone says " dude you.have to smell.this. It smells like ****.

You just have to.see if its really that bad

Trusted Reviewer rating = 1.5

The rest = 3.4

With BraverThrowers review, TR rating is now 1.38.

To expand on that, the rating for people who have played 25+ courses = 1.83 (6 reviews). The other 4 reviews, meaning people who have played less than 25 courses = 2.88.

One can draw their own conclusions from that. We do know that if you criticize the course, you are going to be getting :thmbdown: votes.

Well I now have a cool little icon so I am above worrying about little things like thumb downs. :p

Now we need to start an over/under thread on day and month that course gets pulled. :D

My local course just got 27 new baskets... we are building 9 more x-holes so we have 18 walk-in-the-park holes and 18 wooded holes once completed. Next year we will have a whole new 18 hole course just across the street! I am super pumped. Baltimore Disc Golf!

I was a little disappointed that nature hadn't killed off that rough on hole 8 as much as it has. I can't imagine that it ever looked like a good place to put a ~1000' hole. Maybe in the dead of Winter that stuff is minimal but it needs serious clearing (and divvying up into 2 logical holes).

Obviously I can't judge this course, but it's interesting because 2 of the 3 courses I play most have safety issues, yet are pretty well regarded (3.5+). Well, 3 of 3, but the third is only dangerous to the disc golfers themselves.

Earlewood has a walking trail system weaving through and across half the holes, often at the worst possible places. And a couple of holes where it's very easy to put a shot in the road. But the trails came after the course, and are very lightly used; the traffic on the road is light, so you've got to be pretty negligent to hit a car. But at first glance, it seems an awful design.

Crooked Creek, especially the "Pro 9", has paved walking trails in the fairways, and several holes in which I've thrown into baseball fields. Admittedly, this in into the outfield, and not near the spectators, but still....

I've played "many" courses that have softball/baseball fields "in play." Those courses also seem to exist pretty well with said fields in play. One of my local courses did have to have one of it's signature holes changed; because of this issue though...
There are many courses that have some park road issues also; but, in most cases these roads are not that used.
Home/yard invasion is the one that seems to cause the most troubles.

So it looks like we might lose the Meadows at Guilford College, totally different can of worms there.
Horray for disc golf in the Triad!
Seriously though Innova, DGA etc. needs to stop selling baskets to people who dont know what they are doing. I feel the potential buyer needs to pass a designer/installer test before being able to purchase baskets. It's making it really hard for those of us, who have been doing this for a while now, to justify that putting in a course is actually a good idea for the land owner. This is just another reason for parks and rec here in this area to nix disc golf.

Nothing personal against Buzz and other Yellow Belts (yes I went old school there), but PLEASE for the sake of the future of disc golf. DO YOUR FRIGGIN HOMEWORK FIRST before designing/installing a disc golf course!

/rant

I've played "many" courses that have softball/baseball fields "in play." Those courses also seem to exist pretty well with said fields in play. One of my local courses did have to have one of it's signature holes changed; because of this issue though...
There are many courses that have some park road issues also; but, in most cases these roads are not that used.
Home/yard invasion is the one that seems to cause the most troubles.

Yeah, I've played a lot of courses that have a field or road issue. But not any that have either a field or road issue at as many holes as this. Coupled with some very narrow fairways and landing zones you have a recipe for disaster. If there was a spot or two where you have to squeeze a hole in I get that. Use a mando and hope for the best. WE don't like it, but sometimes you make the best of a bad situation. But when an entire course is filled with roads, fields and yes houses and backyards, you have a major clusterf*ck. We played with three guys that are experienced amateurs that can control a disc pretty well. We totally passed on one hole so as not to mame some kids playing soccer, or go into someone's backyard. Then we had to repeatedly wait for cars on a few holes to make sure we were safe. The cool thing was I could use a thumber to throw over the road or lots and have it drift back onto the fairway. I should love this course as it has a lot of thumber holes, but even with that it has issues.

Obviously I can't judge this course, but it's interesting because 2 of the 3 courses I play most have safety issues, yet are pretty well regarded (3.5+). Well, 3 of 3, but the third is only dangerous to the disc golfers themselves.

Earlewood has a walking trail system weaving through and across half the holes, often at the worst possible places. And a couple of holes where it's very easy to put a shot in the road. But the trails came after the course, and are very lightly used; the traffic on the road is light, so you've got to be pretty negligent to hit a car. But at first glance, it seems an awful design.

Crooked Creek, especially the "Pro 9", has paved walking trails in the fairways, and several holes in which I've thrown into baseball fields. Admittedly, this in into the outfield, and not near the spectators, but still....

I noticed the issues at earls wood and they are not ideal......... Spring wood is on another level of conflict

I noticed the issues at earls wood and they are not ideal......... Spring wood is on another level of conflict

That's quite an indictment.

The trails at Earlewood were put in long after the course---and the parks dept. refused to consult with the disc golfers over where they should, and shouldn't, go.

I will jump on a soapbox and say that mandos aren't a perfect answer for safety issues. The folks with the least control of their drives, are often the ones who don't play the mandos anyway. And even better players miss mandos by accident.

Latest posts