• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

THE BASKETS ARE IN!!!

Replayed the course yesterday from the golds again.
You may want to define OB on the score card (are we playing rethrow from previous or from point it went OB?... I know there's some variance here across pro tourneys)

A few notes about the second round (I'd love others' thoughts, especially about #2,7)
#2 I tried a spike hyzer. It didn't work. I will try again with an understable disc. I still contend the distance from gold pad to basket is too long. Even a great player will not want to go hard for the 2. If it's a little closer (~50 ft) it would be close enough to tempt.
2 I would leave as is for a little while to see if traffic breaks it in enough b/c you can't undo too much trimming. I'd maybe think about cleaning up the putting area a bit so that if you actually do get down there you can get a putt off.
#4 The "cut line" rule isn't in play on this hole, right? Good hole, especially when there isn't wind.
Yeah, I don't think so. I'm not really sure but it was confusing to the group I guided around a couple of Saturdays ago.
#6 is great, but there will be many discs in the road (I'm 1/2)
#7 is simple, but good. Could make it more interesting with another tree on the right. Right now it's a little too vanilla because you just throw it as hard as you can with a virtually wide open fairway... and then you throw a wide open upshot. The answer may be to incorporate the monster tree ~300ft up the fairway.
#6 is pretty fun. An easy fix for the road problem would be to put a sort of OB bunker between the road and the basket to really dissuade mindless bombing and enhance the risk/reward of the hole. #7 is pretty much just a distance issue. There aren't really enough trees to factor in I don't think. I think the distances are about right, gold level players should be able to par it easily with the occasional deuce and blue level players should be able to get a lucky birdie and par it otherwise. This hole really only has a problem if you can't throw 300' back to back, then you get that NAGS (Not A Golf Shot) zone for shorter throwers. But this course isn't really designed for them and a short tee would be an easy remedy if they wanted to pour it.

#12 A huge upgrade for this one would be to put a tall flag on top of the basket. Assuming we aren't throwing ~450 on flat land, you're probably not able to see this basket for your 2nd shot, but it becomes a lot more fun of a 2nd shot when you can actually see where the basket is without walking 50'+ up a sloped hill and trying to remember that for the throw. having the basket on a hill makes for additional skill (if you're skillful enough with the throw it minimizes the luck) to prevent rollaway.
A flag on the basket would be a nice touch. An accurate tee sign will go a long way to remedy that also, especially if it's detailed enough to give distances to the fence corner. That basket is going to get flattened out by a erosion as the grass dies around it, I'd go ahead and start putting down some erosion barriers to preserve that slope and might double as rollaway catchers.
#13 May want to split this into 2 for safety. I've been to the course on two consecutive Saturdays and thankfully there were NO players on the fields! Having people bomb that close to back yards could be an issue as well... splitting it into two would help in both of those regards (but it would remind a lot of people of the 'filler' 16 and 17)
This has trouble written all over it. Splitting it into 2 holes is something I've thought about but I'm not sure it would do anything to really solve the neighborhood/soccer field issues.
#14 great hole, dont' change a thing.
#15 As previously mentioned, there is no fairway here. Am I missing something?
You know, a thought just struck me. Instead of having 14's basket pushed into the woods like I've heard some advocate, what if you combined 14 and 15 into one hole? Open drive with the challenge being positioning yourself to hit the alleys through the woods with 15's pin placement providing nice finishing challenge.
#16,17 are necessary filler holes. If there is some property room on the right, these should definitely be combined into 1 hole. You could cut out landing zones akin to what it being proposed for #8 (again, I'm available to help). Another option you may prefer is to plant two trees ~50 feet from the pad and have a mandatory through the two of them (Think Oak Hollow Open course at the lake... hole 11ish).
I'm not sure but I think the treeline on the right are out of Buzz's jurisdiction. Need some thick woods there a bit to keep discs out of that farmer's pasture anyway. I liked DSmith's idea of putting 17's pin past the bridge in that open low spot. The only issue there is throwing across the bridge but it's a thought. What I'd be okay with is moving the tee of 17 to one of the islands in the parking lot, making it slightly downhill and more importantly making it so that you aren't throwing parallel to the road so much. I hate holes playing across roads but not sure what else can be done here. 17 wouldn't seem so much like 16's shorter little brother either.
Here is my mockup of #11. http://imgur.com/mTm1IzV
Green = Easy landing zones
Orange = Medium Landing zones
Yellow = What I'd expect from pros
Red = What would be a "great" throw when you include the risk of going in the junk... and should get you a stroke advantage over people in the green.
I'd propose moving the basket from the blue spot to roughly the other blue spot (exact positioning to be determined by Buzz.

Thoughts?
The only thing I'd do with 11 is move the basket a little bit away from the rough on the right and behind it. Punishing overshoots on the approach is a good thing but you need at least a 10 meter circle pretty clear and I don't think it is. I've landed in your yellow zone once, maybe twice and the green zone once so far. I can land in the yellow fairly comfortably and I'm definitely not a pro FTR.

I'd argue against moving the basket on 17. There is a lot of soccer during the week now in the early evenings, and you can sit there on the tees waiting on cars to stop driving past for 5 minutes at a time. Buzz knows I was extremely hesitant to put holes there in the first place because of this. I'd leave 11 alone for now. Its a shame the staff there ran over the third pine tree that was planted there, but I'm fairly sure the rough has encroached on the grass all around that tee since I first walked it with Buzz in late July by at least a foot or two. If that's the case, then there is some rough that should be legal for trimming there. As for where my tee shots have landed on 11, its usually in the rough in front of that red zone, despite throwing overstable discs every time.

12 could absolutely use a flag. That's a fantastic idea.

If I changed anything, other than eliminating the last mando on 3, it would be to chop 3 into two holes.
NblKFMs.jpg

This would allow the elimination of 17, and 16 could be extended. This might require 15's basket to be moved 15 ft closer to the tee. Pull 16's tees north toward that corner to add length.
NblKFMs.jpg

Because of the design of the parking lot, the northernmost part of the lot is the least used, and nearly everyone who parks in it drives in through one of the earlier entrances. This leaves the fairway next to 16 virtually free of traffic and allowing for the inevitable mistakes that would be commonplace with a longer hole. The last 40 or 50 ft should be relatively free of the kind of errors that would push throws into the road so the traffic wouldn't be much of an issue.

Last edited:
Dave,
Rookie/red, short /blue, long /gold
So when I said first flag from the short pad marked the first zone I meant from the blue pad to the flag is the first zone.

Dave,
Rookie/red, short /blue, long /gold
So when I said first flag from the short pad marked the first zone I meant from the blue pad to the flag is the first zone.

212bc75.jpg

Before getting all worked up about changing holes on the course, please take note how much of a pain in the ass it is to physically move tee pads, let alone with non existent volunteers.

Screw you DSmith, I'm renting a Bobcat and I'm redesigning the SPC myself. Hope Buzz likes Mad Max style post-apocalyptic disc golf. :|

Before getting all worked up about changing holes on the course, please take note how much of a pain in the ass it is to physically move tee pads, let alone with non existent volunteers.

It sounds from my very distant ears like maybe this course wasn't so well planned out. Maybe there is a point when it is best to cut losses, admit defeat, and ask for help. For the good of the children of course. :p

I know it sounds like I'm copping out but I had nothing to do with this course other than coming out a few times to help with pads and trimming. I offered my advice as someone who's been there/done that but thats it. I'm trying to stay neutral on this since I know how it feels to have everyone throwing their "suggestions" at you while your trying to pull the proverbial rabbit out of the hat.

We'll just have to play it by ear and see how the course plays out over the next year or so.

I think the course is far better than to the point where you'd consider "admitting defeat." I will be regularly playing the course even if nothing changes (except #8, I'll probably skip that if it stays as is).

It's hard to not pass judgment on any new course and it's hard to hear anything other than the negative reviews.

Because I've been one of the "wall of text"ers, I'll do this instead, and it's fully genuine:

Practice Basket: Good placement relative to the lot AND it has a great variety of angles and elevations ot throw from.

#1: Great hole, love the way the fairway gets thinner as you approach the basket. It really helps add to the "how much do I really want to get after this hole" aspect.
#2: A lot of work has really shaped this hole to be pretty darn tempting. I don't think I'm good enough to get to the hole in 1, and while that frustrates me, it drives me to find a better disc selection and eventually find a shot that I could shape in there.
#3: 1000'+ is great to have and while there are artificial mandatories (some don't like), at least they are VERY tall, so you never have to ask "did I make it around too early?" Glad ot have the mandatories in place so I don't have to consider risking lives vs. making a better shot. Also a good variety of shots in the hole (which is very difficult given that it is a constant right to left fade). I am tempted to throw a power fore hand vs. a back hand multiple different throws.
#4: Challenging and the right distance to prevents NAGS syndrome.
#5: A clever placement of the basket given the space provided. Not too close to the road, as some would be tempted to do.
#6: Classic "Park" hole. Very tempting to let it rip, but you must bridle the power!
#7: An uphill grind to separate the men from the boys. Get out your cannon.
#8: A unique snaking hole with a lot of challenge available. Forces decisions that you don't get anywhere else. STRONG risk available. with some clearing of the hillside and some landing zones, will be a GREAT signature hole.
#9: Do I want to go low or high... left or right... I have all the options, but MUST execute to get it close.
#10: Wide options available from a RHForehand huge hyzer, RHBH gentle fade BH (right side of the willow) or a STRONG S curve RHBH. Thick forest behind and basket at the right distance means the big arms do not have a significant advantage over the accurate, weaker arms.
#11: Well placed hole to minimize safety risk. Also allows for some risk-reward decision (I would prefer the basket be closer to the corner, as mentioned previously). Even with the basket where it is, you are forced to make a risk-reward decision from the pad and then from the approach again.
#12: Risky right side, safe left side... how hard do you want to throw.. the closer you are in 1, the closer your upshot will be.. and every foot will count as you line up that crazy footed approach (most approaches will be thrown on a hill with a 20+ degree slope)
#13: Oh, there's the basket, just get it there... Pad placed perfectly (for my arm at least) where I don't throw into back yards (yet). Snuck in a long hole where many would've stayed away from and would've otherwise been forced to make a stinker hole.
#14: A great elevation change, deceptively long/short hole. Fence on right provides STRONG risk. Basket is close enough to (and far enough from) fence to allow risk/reward perfectly.
#15: A very technical first shot to get out of the forest followed by a "never the same throw as last time" approach.
#16: Tight approach, almost like a big island hole.
#17: Another tight approach, island hole with unforgiving rough right and OB left.
#18: After the required 1st shot proving technical ability (while keeping the disc low), you gotta break out the cannon for the next two shots...and you better be accurate on your third so you get a chance to run at that tall basket.

Don't let the extensive "suggestions" drag down this course. It's VERY playable and enjoyable as is. There are just some suggestions that (in my opinion) could bring it on the level of some of the top courses I've played.

Ok folks, I think I've probably lost to each of you (and beaten some of you) on this thread at one time or another. And, if not, come on out and play some day, I'm typically there every day during the week between noon and 1pm AND I'm often there once on the weekend.

With that being said, every course you play has a bad hole or two. Hell, I can think of about 3 on Nevin that I could do without playing EVER because they just do not play to my game. Of course, I am a lefty and I have a different perspective than most.

I think what we need to realize here is that this is yet ANOTHER option for this sport and the people that enjoy it. I have had the opportunity to explain the game to passersby at least half a dozen times while at Springwood, which is great for our sport. Will most of them ever pick up a disc, maybe not but it's still exposure.

The more I play it, the more I learn it, and the more I like it. We are spoiled in this area with some mature, top notch courses; let's give this one a chance to evolve. Pads have been in for less than a month..lol!!

With that being said, check out the Burlington Area Disc Golf Club on Facebook for up to date information on gatherings/weeklies/monthlies in the burlington/triad area.

Of course, I am a lefty and I have a different perspective than most.

Thoughts on how you play hole 4? Good RHBHers I've seen have opted for sweeping hyzers over the street, which would be a turnover or forehand for you. A LHBH turnover on that hole seems like it would be tougher to me.

For the rest of your post, this is typical internet banter about a new course. It's actually a better sign that people are chatting about it, the whole "any PR is good PR" thing.

I just played a round and looked at 16. I think moving the blue tee to the gold position and moving the gold to the northwest corner of the park. up by the fence, would make it such a great hole. I think its far enough from the basket of 15 that 15 would be ok to stay where it is. Anybody else take a look at what it would look like throwing from that corner? Its a sweet looking hole if you did that, and since the road along 16 is rarely used, misplaced throws into the road wouldn't be a big problem. I also think you could move the blue and gold tees for 17 back 100 ft and it wouldn't change the aesthetic of the hole much. Anybody have an opinion on that?

EJ, you mean past the large, blue garbage container? If so, I dunno. I'd have to look at it but generally you don't want a tee close to behind the basket of a previous hole.

BrotherDave,

The gold tee on hole 4 is a challenge and I typically wont play it, BUT when my group plays it, I just (try to) flick one out around the second mando.

EJ, you mean past the large, blue garbage container? If so, I dunno. I'd have to look at it but generally you don't want a tee close to behind the basket of a previous hole.

You mean like the 11/12/16 cluster on Wellspring? Anyways, 15 is a par 4 with the basket not really reachable from the tee. There's a good 45 ft or more from 15's basket to where I'd put 16's gold tee. Ideal? Probably not, but take a look next time you play and you'll see a fantastic hole.

As for 8, if we got a group of guys out there one day and rent a chipper that we can pull into the trench, I think we can hack away at the hillside and send the chips into the rough on the right. Heck, the chips could go over the fairway for all I care- I don't think it would hurt it. Might help actually. Anybody know how much it would cost to rent a chipper?

Latest posts