• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best artifical turf?

Seabrook

Par Member
Getting new tee pads in the spring for a park course. Concrete is out due to really bad heaving in the spring. Looking into artificial turf but obviously some are better than others.

Which turf works best for tee pads?

I don't have any real experience to share, but am pretty sure that when Fred converted the old Dunham ball golf course, he recycled the old astroturf from the driving range tee areas. They're holding up OK so far, and those have got to be decades old already...

The problem with using turf is that you almost have to spend more money making beds for it, than using concrete. There is a local course that uses carpet swaths for teepads, and they just fall apart when used a lot. The dirt underneath gets eroded when people play on them when muddy. You would probably be better off getting some fly pads. Simple boxed in frame with crush rock base, and your off and running. Though you could probably get away with a mulch base if your set on getting turf. You might have to redo them every spring though.

de7fd72b_m.jpg

I highly recommend not leaving the front and end uncovered like they did here, the rock gets knocked out after awhile. But these are very nice pads.

You would probably be better off getting some fly pads. Simple boxed in frame with crush rock base, and your off and running. Though you could probably get away with a mulch base if your set on getting turf. You might have to redo them every spring though.

What exactly is a "fly pad?" Is that a brand name? Can you post a link to a seller?

Where's Jussi Meresmaa when you need him? :D

Seriously, though, this might be a good thread for some of our European friends to chime in on. A lot of courses on youtube videos by lcgm8 and other European channels have Astroturf type pads.

The problem with using turf is that you almost have to spend more money making beds for it, than using concrete. There is a local course that uses carpet swaths for teepads, and they just fall apart when used a lot. The dirt underneath gets eroded when people play on them when muddy. You would probably be better off getting some fly pads. Simple boxed in frame with crush rock base, and your off and running. Though you could probably get away with a mulch base if your set on getting turf. You might have to redo them every spring though.

The problem with flypads, at least around here, is that they require as much, if not more, work to properly prepare the base as using concrete pads.

Flypads also accumulate dirt and grime in the pores, and become extremely slick when dirty or moist. (And they're moisture sponges, so they're also prime growing beds for moss and algae unless sited in direct sun.)

They also magnify the effect of undulations in the ground/base beneath the pad.

See the thread on proper installation of rubber teepads for more perspective.

Last edited:
Flypads also accumulate dirt and grime in the pores, and become extremely slick when dirty or moist. (And they're moisture sponges, so they're also prime growing beds for moss and algae unless sited in direct sun.)

They also magnify the effect of undulations in the ground/base beneath the pad.

Agree with all of this... we put in 2 rubber pads at Hawk Hollow and almost immediately went back to natural on those holes. There is a lot of sand around the creek in a lot of spots and it makes them slick as all get out. IMO rubber pads are the worst option out there.

All the turf pads around here (a few at HH, a bunch at the Blockhouse) are artificial putting green material from "real" golf. There was a local who was working for a company which installed them. I love the turf pads but they do wind up being a lot of work to install properly (brushing sand in, etc). I much prefer turf over concrete.

Carpet over boxed in sand or crush and run is my favorite of the lower cost options. Works great although you may have durability issues if the course gets a lot of play. Then again replacement cost on used carpet is pretty much zippo and they are easy to replace as well.

Agree with all of this... we put in 2 rubber pads at Hawk Hollow and almost immediately went back to natural on those holes. There is a lot of sand around the creek in a lot of spots and it makes them slick as all get out. IMO rubber pads are the worst option out there.

I couldn't agree with this more.

I've played on tee boxes that consisted of paver stones/bricks and I really liked them. I don't know how much work is entailed for the install of those though.

pavers are good if installed perfectly- otherwise the seams can be problematic- imo if you're doing pavers you may as well do concrete.

pavers are good if installed perfectly- otherwise the seams can be problematic- imo if you're doing pavers you may as well do concrete.

+1.

Also, even if they're installed perfectly, pavers rarely (never) settle or heave uniformly, leaving you with an uneven, unstable surface. Few things on a course will put the fear of God in you like having a paver rock or tip unexpectedly when you go to push off or to plant on it! :thmbdown:

From time to time college/professional athletic fields get re-surfaced with the top-of-the-line RealTurf field covering. It is engineered with safety, durability, and all-weather performance in mind. I know that here is St. Louis, David McCormack has had some of this on hand at the Gateway shop every now and then. I think he has had some from the actual SuperDome...pretty cool! I think it gets replaced because of uneven wear due to the natural tendencies of the football teams marching down the middle of the field, and not because it is completely trashed. I know a 4' x 10' section weighs a TON, so it seems like it should last forever. Might want to give him a call...

From time to time college/professional athletic fields get re-surfaced with the top-of-the-line RealTurf field covering. It is engineered with safety, durability, and all-weather performance in mind. I know that here is St. Louis, David McCormack has had some of this on hand at the Gateway shop every now and then. I think he has had some from the actual SuperDome...pretty cool! I think it gets replaced because of uneven wear due to the natural tendencies of the football teams marching down the middle of the field, and not because it is completely trashed. I know a 4' x 10' section weighs a TON, so it seems like it should last forever. Might want to give him a call...

One of the guys in the Blue Ridge DGC in Charlottesville is in charge of athletic fields at UVA- they recycled some of that turf for tees at Walnut Creek.

I like somewhat shaggy carpet better than any artificial turf I've thrown from. Call a remodel company, and ask if they're tearing any carpet out, and if you can have it. Probably free.

I've found the rubber mats in livestock stores and weightlifting places.