• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the best kept secret (dents/notches)

I was just discovering the beauty of a beat dx valk when a tree got in the way and knocked it right into the water! Now I throw a new one on every hole I play for the sole purpose of breaking it in so I can get that beautiful S curve back!

Haha, my wife was trying to beat in a new Valk yesterday and the damn thing refused to hit trees.

Meanwhile, my well seasoned Gazelle was a tree seeking missile yesterday.

Beat discs do fly further, just like an understable disc will fly further than an overstable counter part in the same speed. The high speed turn allows the disc to fly further because it isn't trying so hard to fade. I am sure someone can explain the physics of it better than I can. I liken it to ball golf where if you hit it a certain way the ball will roll forward more when it hits the ground or you can hit it where the backspin stops it. In discs this is also the reason that you typically see understable discs with higher glide ratings. The trick to beat in discs it controlling them so that they do not turn so far to the right that they fall out of the sky, which is typically when rollers happen. I have a great DX Destroyer that is nice and beat. The only thing I can do with it now it throw rollers. I had a great TeeRex that was just starting to get to its peak in wear. I could throw it straight for a long time, and then I threw it so far that I never found it.

what if the disc is punctured and then you seal the hole by melting it a little with a lighter?

That is illegal too, along with sanding the disc technically. Alstering the disc in any way so that the flight characteristics change, with the exception of throwing the disc into tree and other had objects is illegal. Never seen it called yet.

I'm pretty new to the sport, but I've noticed that the throwaway discs other people have given me seem to be more to my liking than the couple I've bought myself. I always kinda thought it's because they just knew which ones were best for me, but now that I think about it, they do have a few knocks in them.

That is illegal too, along with sanding the disc technically. Alstering the disc in any way so that the flight characteristics change, with the exception of throwing the disc into tree and other had objects is illegal. Never seen it called yet.

Sanding your discs is legal, as written in the rule book. I carry a sanding sponge in my bag to smooth out nicks and scratches caused by normal wear and tear.

I took a side-by-side photo of my beat Eclipse and a brand new one. I have had the beat disc for over 10 years and it is my go to mid-range disc, I even putt with it from anywhere beyond 20 feet. I cannot throw the new one for s@!t.

Attachments

• Eclipse_je.jpg
    Eclipse_je.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 30
I took a side-by-side photo of my beat Eclipse and a brand new one. I have had the beat disc for over 10 years and it is my go to mid-range disc, I even putt with it from anywhere beyond 20 feet. I cannot throw the new one for s@!t.

Man, that sucker looks like it's been through the wars!

Beat up Viper---what a versatile disc. I know it doesn't get the big distance that other things do, but honestly, it has gone from me joking about it's +1 turn 5 fade to being one of the discs I reach for the most to get me out of tight situations. It is so predictable, even though it's been beat to hell and back.

As for normal discs, I have a few wraiths in star that will go miles now that they have been beat up. The trick now is to make sure I aim them right, or they won't fade back.

Latest posts