• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best part of winter golf

Thanks! you can't see it in this pic, but the basket it behind about 130ft, we built him so you could still shoot the hole, OR try to stick your shot into the snowman...which is all we tried all day long!

this is hole #15 at Hiestand park in madison wi. nice long downhill shot, just waiting for another heavy snow!

empty course = playing alternate layout on the boring local course.

And the guardian snowman idea is pretty dope, will definitely be installing one of those when conditions allow.

Snowboarding and imagining a course as you ride through the trees.

The best part of winter golf is when its over and all the snow has melted.

Spring is a mixed bag. Temperature is great but the ground is sloppy after the winter thaw. I'd rather play in 20 degree temps with frozen ground than 40 degree temps and sloppy mud.

The ticks were insane this year. We've had our dog for 3 1/2 years now...she had about 10 ticks that we pulled off her this year. She had 1 the years before that. Same flea and tick medicine...

And don't even get me started about Highbridge this summer. I bet I pulled 20 off myself that weekend.

For me there is no down side to winter golf. At 60 years old you'd think I would hate freezing temps and snow up to my knees. But somehow going outside to play in the worst weather strips years off this old geezer.

It's no longer 110 degrees! Unfortunately, now the courses are crowded and the snow birds are in town.

The best part is getting out of the house. Being cooped up for months would drive me crazy (crazier?). How a dedicated golfer takes the winter off is beyond my understanding. Unless you are a pussy, of course. :p

Another benefit is that IPAs (good beer, for the uninitiated) is perfect for cold weather. In summer they are a bit thick.

The lack of heat, humidity, poison ivy, bugs and casuals is wonderful. The ice in the cooler either lasts longer or is unnecessary. In cold enough conditions any liquid in a cooler will freeze so hard it shatters the bottles inside.

As the early season of winter now upon us, the cold feels harsh, not being acclimated to it. This same weather in February will feel mild, if we actually get any weather like this, as opposed to the 10 below stuff.

Figuring out the exact placement of layers which will give adequate warmth with minimum restrictions for the prevailing conditions is always a challenge. Getting fatter each year doesn't seem to help. Which makes no sense. No, I understand why clothes don't fit the same way (they shrink in the dryer, not my fault for being a glutton). It's that I'm not more immune to cold as I bulk up. Seals swim in arctic waters and they don't seem to get cold. Perhaps I should drink more.

If it ever actually got cold enough around here I'd enjoy such antics. The best part of winter golf around here is glow golf which is already in full swing.

Latest posts