• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best part of winter golf

I think the best part for me is that I can use my golden retriever much more effectively on a frozen body of water to get a disc than I can dragging the bottom. I wish that wasn't the case but those things are pretty useless unless you can see your disc close to the shore.

I love not having to lube up with bug spray. I do not miss the sound of bugs buzzing around my head while trying to sink a putt, or finding mystery bites in places that cannot be explained.

Less crowded as well.

I haven't seen anybody for the last month or so, once the temps became below freezing.

Don't mind that.

The ease of finding discs in the brush would be another, as long as they don't bury themselves in leaves.

I play year round regardless but i prefer warm weather. I do enjoy disc golf in the winter because there are less people out playing. I have friends who complain when it gets really cold that they have trouble throwing with all the added bulk. I wear lightweight outdoor clothes and don't have any issues. Mittens are a good investment if you play in the bitter cold.

Getting to play a course thats not even in for the summer here.... plus i feel like a bad mutha braving knee deep snow and playing in the dark for the better part of 6 months. Also cant bring beer much it freezes.... gotta up the alcohol content if i feel like indulging. We will almost always have the courses which r winter playable to ourselves as well which rocks.... no one else has the cahonies... or they arent stupid... you be the judge.... i cant wait throughh the long alaskan winter to get my disc on. Still got a glow league and a saturday league goin on.

Wintertime is when the casuals go home. 42 degrees yesterday and I was 1 of 2 people on the course. It was awesome.

Oh yeah, short frozen grass means epic skips.

Playing in the winter definitely helps with cabin fever, making it feel warmer when your only out for short periods of time, and making the winter fly by much faster

Around here, one advantage to winter golf is the lack of foliage. It's mostly a mental advantage, because obviously the branches are still there, but the expanded lines of sight make visualizing your shots much less forced.

Also, I'm half Italian, and that half is all sweat glands. In mid-summer sometimes I end up with pruny hands from sweating so much. I like being able to play multiple rounds without saturating a bath towel. :gross:

Wish that water at Spiker was frozen a couple weeks back when I lent a friend an Atlas to try out and he promptly deposited it dead center of that thing!

6.jpg
No snakes. I HATE SNAKES!

The best part of winter golf is that the snow cover makes all of the course construction and maintenance go away until spring. I can simply enjoy playing without feeling guilty about things on the course that need to be done.