• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The best sidearm driver you can think of.

jubuttib said:
How's the Axis working for you on FHs Mike? Would you recommend that as a learning disc? =)

Oh yes, it's great. It's not tolerant of OAT but when you snap it OAT free it sails, so it's great for diagnosing your form. I've managed a few FH drives in the 325-350' range with it on a clean throw. I recently slowed down some FH drives of mine that I turned over and realized I was doing something to cause OAT (Starting out with a hyzer angle but popping the disc out with a flat release at the last minute). The first throw I threw after realizing that and consciously trying to avoid it was a 325' laser with my least stable Axis. In an actual game I typically use it in the 150-250' range but I'm hoping to match my BH distances with all my discs with my FH throws some day.....or at least come close.

Mike i agree that big Jerm wins in the smoothness department and is a great sidearmer. Ville may be the only one that is better than Jerm now. Although i don't know how Bennett fares these days.

Jub. I like sidearming clear Ions better than Axes. But not so much driving as approaches with those discs for me.

I kinda gave up on having any kind of forehand game, I just wasn't clean enough, even with overstable molds. I did find a nice gummyish Firebird that I was able to forehand in a utility type fashion when needed. Gradually I was able to work distances and lines with it, but no real power throws for max D, just got too messy.

I have recently started throwing the Rampage backhand and decided to give it a forehand go. I can get it out to about 350, but it is so fast and over stable that it fades out harder than I like. Based on those results I gave my Havoc a go, but was flipping the crap out of it. I was able to quite my arm down and get my body involved to make a much smoother flick. I can get as much distance with the Havoc at half effort as I can get with the Rampage at full.

For the past month I have scrapped what I thought I knew about forehanding and started working with much slower and understable molds to try and clean up my form. Like others using the Buzzz, I have been using the Fuse for forehanding practice and creaping up on faster molds as I improve. Teebirds are about my limit on speed right now, but I am able to hit some sick lines with it that never would have happened without learning to control that Fuse.

I throw 95% of my shots OH or FH so all this talk really has me thinking...
I'm at about 370/380 with FH max D, but now I'm thinking I need to throw some more understable plastic to both clean up my form and gain more distance. I have pushed a P-DD2 out to 400' and that disc is less stable the PD2s and Bosses I typically throw, so going more understable seems like a good idea. Just have never tried because I flip wraiths on hyzer angles with ease. Obviously that due to poor form. Does anyone know what discs Ville especially and some of the other top FHers throw???
And I've been swearing to myself this is the year I devote the time to truly learn to throw BH for distance...

dgdave said:
Destroyer

Second post in the thread is correct.

Every really good FH throwers I know, I'm talking like 400+, have at least one Destroyer in their bag at all times. For a Discraft alternative I'll say a Z Nuke.

I'll also agree that the Buzzz is really easy to FH, I've been working on a really consistent forehand flick, lefty and righty. I've canned some sick fairway aces with a with a lazer beam Buzzz flick. I'll also throw the Zone into the ring as well it's a really overstable putter but it flicks well and has a very buzzz-like profile so it fits great in the hand.

himynameismatt said:
dgdave said:
Destroyer

Second post in the thread is correct.

Every really good FH throwers I know, I'm talking like 400+, have at least one Destroyer in their bag at all times. For a Discraft alternative I'll say a Z Nuke.

I'll also agree that the Buzzz is really easy to FH, I've been working on a really consistent forehand flick, lefty and righty. I've canned some sick fairway aces with a with a lazer beam Buzzz flick. I'll also throw the Zone into the ring as well it's a really overstable putter but it flicks well and has a very buzzz-like profile so it fits great in the hand.

It was revealed later in the thread he can't throw hard enough to handle a destroyer or nuke

I throw FH any time the hole is easier because of it. My FH and BH are pretty equal with BH having a little edge. I throw both right around 400 consistant. I mainly throw a z nuke and multiple star destroyers depending on shot. Z nuke is by far my farthest FH disc.

If those are too much I would start with a Surge or Wraith. Also as some said a buzzz will be really good to get a smooth throw down.

Overall there is not a best disc. You have multiple different lines and shots with a FH just as you do with a BH. You will use different discs depending on the line that is needed. Just like BH prac I would say to go to a field and try tossing all your discs. Then try putting them on different lines to see what they do.

The is a hole at my local that is 250' and it pretty open to the hole on both sides. I throw a Fuse that turns over most of the way and just sits down. Should I be expecting the same when forehanding the Fuse to the same basket?

If your form is clean then yes. There is no reason you can't BH or FH a putter or mid out a couple hundred feet if you're not OATing it, throwing horribly nose-up etc.

Wow! My form must really suck then because I can't FH any of my mids, and definitely not a fuse. Mike C...do you literally just flick your wrist with as little arm action as possible? What type of angle do you release it at?

When I drive a putter or mid it's generally from a standstill, little arm movement outside of the wrist and fingers, slight hyzer release, concentrating on following through the same plane the entire way through to avoid OAT. I've only used forehand on a regular basis since summer but today I was flicking putters in the 250-300' range with control because I've spent a lot of time FHing mids and putters. Everyone here says to disc down, throw slow discs to clean up your form and show OAt etc., and I just applied that thinking to FH and it worked. For some reason people seem to be unwilling to do with FH what they do with BH when it comes to clean form.

I wasn't able to FH mids either and it frustrated me being able to BH my Vector 100% power with a flat release and 0 turn but I struggled to consistently flick it 200' with hyzer and not turn it over hard, so I said "Only throwing putters FH and nothing else until I fix my throw." Fuse works well because it has great glide and a comfy rim for a FH release, it takes little power to get it out there.

Here's a slow-mo video showing 2 bad FH throws followed by 2 clean ones, pretty easy to spot the OAT difference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWUanMh9ERg&t=1m52s

Also here is how I trained my FH. I'd do this drill with putters, and gradually move further out until I was so far out I was turning the disc over, then move back in 25' or so and practice from there, the furthest I could throw with control. The orange disc in this vid is actually my Fuse, so you can see what I mean about it's glide.

I see you train forehands the same way I do (except I use a garbage can at the park).

I've noticed lately when watching people with problems throwing forehand that they tense up a whole bunch compared to people with good form.

I mostly avoid flicking my drivers. I have a lot of difficulty accelerating them properly, or something. I also have trouble getting the nose down. Discs I do throw FH: Magic, Birdie, Comet. Something about driver rims makes it really hard for me to snap on a FH throw. It mostly feels like I "push" the disc out rather than spin it, like a projectile. It feels much easier to spin my slower discs.