• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

the best way to clear undergrowth on a course?

a buddy of mine sent me this link http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20130924/news/709249745/ am i the only person who thinks that this is just plain silly?

You might not be the only one, but I don't think it's silly at all. It actually works pretty well in many places that have nothing to do with disc golf.

It's been used a little at River Street Park to clear the area that's going to be used for the back nine. However the project was put on hold when we had one of the wettest summers ever and parts of the park were flooded.

Heck, I'd like to have goats to maintain a course.

My only question in in the subject post is, how long will it take them to clear an area for 9 holes?

Nope, not silly at all. Those goats will have that area cleared in no time.

Environmentally friendly? Yes.

Eats all annoying undergrowth INCLUDING poison ivy and sticker bushes? Yes.

No added fuel/feed costs? Probably as long as there is work.

Seen on a golf course near you? I've seen it at Perkerson park here in Atlanta. The goats were out there I'm guessing for less than a week and they dramatically cleaned up the park of all the annoying undergrowth.

Cost Effective? Not sure.

Thumbs up? Definitely. I wish I was a sheppard now.

Heck, I'd like to have goats to maintain a course.

My only question in in the subject post is, how long will it take them to clear an area for 9 holes?

well i the new 9 holes there are opening some time next spring so they got a lot of time to work

Maybe seems silly at first glance - but really its not silly at all. VERY effective! Goats will eat ANYTHING!

Here is what goes on in a goats mind literally every second of the day.

1) Is that food?
2) Lets eat it to figure it out

Not food - move on to next object and return to step one.
Food - repeat step two for all of eternity.

We have been building a course (woodland creek park) and the piece of land is very thick with nasty brush.
The park dept. will not let us use power tools for insurance reasons.
It has been long and slow clearing fairways.
But goats are not cheap, I checked, but that would work great for our course.

Cliff Drive in KC could use goats for some holes that are in the works for restructuring. However, I'm not sure the goats would last very long. They would become the Saturday night BBQ.

In all seriousness, I think it is an awesome idea. They eat poison ivy? That is freaking awesome.

ABC 7 concluded their nightly news here in Chicago with that story. I had heard of goats mentioned before on DGCR as a way to clear underbrush, so when I heard the teaser before the sports segment I stay tuned.

Very cool idea.

They eat poison ivy? That is freaking awesome.

I'm pretty sure a lot of birds and other animals munch on poison ivy as well. Only humans have a bad reaction to it.