• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Canyons, Lockport., IL

I went to Dellwood early on a Saturday in October and couldn't find a place to park. I went back in November earlier, parked easily and played a round. When I went back to the car the lot was loaded and people were parking on residential streets. We were going to play a second round but the course in front of us was so backed up/loaded with people that we cut bait. Both time I went to Highland after I left Dellwood and Highland was a ghost town. Highland is a really, really good course. Nobody was there, every disc golfer within 50 miles of Joliet was at the Canyons. With play like that, I didn't think it needed any hype.

They were still adding holes and tees when I was there. The only criticism I had of the place was the hole numbering, they added a bunch of holes between 6-7 and 8-9 and just called them 6A, 6B, etc. It's a 27-hole course but the last hole is numbered 18. I never had any idea how many holes we played and I can't keep the 6 letter and 8 letter holes straight in my head to write a review. That's nit-picky organizational bitching, though. The shots are what is important, and the shots are there. Has the design settled in yet?

Last edited:
I'll have to make a point of playing The Canyons at Dellwood next time I get out to Chicago.

I went to Dellwood early on a Saturday in October and couldn't find a place to park. I went back in November earlier, parked easily and played a round. When I went back to the car the lot was loaded and people were parking on residential streets. We were going to play a second round but the course in front of us was so backed up/loaded with people that we cut bait. Both time I went to Highland after I left Dellwood and Highland was a ghost town. Highland is a really, really good course. Nobody was there, every disc golfer within 50 miles of Joliet was at the Canyons. With play like that, I didn't think it needed any hype.

They were still adding holes and tees when I was there. The only criticism I had of the place was the hole numbering, they added a bunch of holes between 6-7 and 8-9 and just called them 6A, 6B, etc. It's a 27-hole course but the last hole is numbered 18. I ever had any idea how many holes we played and I can't keep the 6 letter and 8 letter holes straight in my head to write a review. That's nit-picky organizational bitching, though. The shots are what is important, and the shots are there. Has the design settled in yet?

Yeah I would say the design has definitely settled in. Of course, I'm sure tweaking here and there could occur and make things better. Plus you have to take what I am saying with a grain of salt because I was sort of awestruck by the whole experience.

I went there yesterday and I do realize its a weekday the parking lot was never more than half full so that's where my original thought of not getting a lot of attention came from. Based on what you're saying though...yeah, doesn't need more hype lol.

I saw that you rated it up their with Flip. I think Flip for me is in a unique category because of its rural location. It is peaceful out their in shelby township.

I could never put a city or muni course in that category. It is almost another set of ratings that I have to use.

In a way it is more of an atmosphere kind of thing that cannot be rated.

For example, Mt.Airy Cincinnati Ohio is great course. I would say the course itself is better than flip. But it is like right in the middle of cincinnati.

I drove seven hours to play flip due to its location in Michigan. Beautiful Northwestern Michigan. As for Cincinnati I wouldn't drive more than two hours for that.

So rating courses is such a personal thing for sure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I saw that you rated it up their with Flip. I think Flip for me is in a unique category because of its rural location. It is peaceful out their in shelby township.

I could never put a city or muni course in that category. It is almost another set of ratings that I have to use.

In a way it is more of an atmosphere kind of thing that cannot be rated.

For example, Mt.Airy Cincinnati Ohio is great course. I would say the course itself is better than flip. But it is like right in the middle of cincinnati.

I drove seven hours to play flip due to its location in Michigan. Beautiful Northwestern Michigan. As for Cincinnati I wouldn't drive more than two hours for that.

So rating courses is such a personal thing for sure. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Yep I see what you are saying..although I don't completely agree with it. ;) Using a completely different set of ratings on this site is just not happening so I have to run with what is available. My main focus is the actual play of the course itself. Atmosphere is a nice plus for me but like amenities those sorts of things will never get a 4.5 course up to a 5.0 course. Playability for me is #1. Always. The other stuff is nice and will improve a rating in my eyes but never be the whole story. So for me, could a muni course potentially be a 5.0? Yep. But almost every hole has to be very very good. To me, that's what Flip is. Every hole is great - maybe with the exception of the first three which aren't bad - just not fantastic. If Flip were dropped right in the middle of Chicago with busy highways surrounding it that course would still be a 5.0 for me. Just the way I try to look at things. It's not perfect but it's how I like to do it.

I love the Canyons. The new holes are a great addition and significantly improve an already great course. I agree with almost all of what three putt said except the numbering of the added holes. I'm not too bothered by that since I'd played the 18 hole course many times. He's right that the Canyons is always packed though, and Highland is a killer course.

I had rated the original 18 hole layout at the Canyons a 4. I need to get back to play the new long tees that were added in the past year (especially hole 2, that looks like a super fun shot). At that point I'll update my review and almost certainly up my rating to a 4.5. If 4.75 was an option, I'd probably go for that. It's just a really fun course.

Just played the Canyons this weekend; and I think it's probably a 4.5 in my scale. I'm too old and short throwing these days to evaluate the long tees very well...we played mostly shorts; with some exceptions; where the long tee was a "show stopper."

Yeah, Canyons is very nice. 4.5 and would throw again. and again. and again...

The Canyons of Lockport is truly a magical course. All kinds of good fun and definitely one of the best in Chicagoland. How does one rank the Canyons in a list of Fairfield, Grey/Silver Fox, Lemon Lake, Sinnisippi, Dretzka?

I think Fairfield gets the slight edge on Canyons. I recently played both with no previously heard hype and enjoyed Fairfield slightly more due to elevations changes and more varied layouts. That said, they are both amazing courses! :thmbup:

I'll be in town for a family event Sat Oct 28, and plan on playing Canyons Sun the 29th. If Fairfield's that good, I might have to see if I can work it in as well.

Very much enjoyed the Canyons and Highland Park during my pit stop on the way to Iowa. Definitely need to get back there again and spend a little more time there as once just wasn't enough.

I think Fairfield gets the slight edge on Canyons. I recently played both with no previously heard hype and enjoyed Fairfield slightly more due to elevations changes and more varied layouts. That said, they are both amazing courses! :thmbup:
Criteria is key. One of the issues I have with Fairfield is that the land used for the old course is still used, and it's a wide-open swamp. Once you get back into the property things look up, but in terms of a park facility it's a somewhat nasty park with a big swamp in front. Dellwood Park is a really, really nice park. In terms of evaluating the site, the two parks are night and day. Since I'm a big fan of parks, the setting gives the Canyons an edge before you even evaluate the shots. Add in that six of the shots at Squaw Creek are still in the wide-open section, I end up giving the Canyons a clear advantage. Just opinion, though. Squaw Creek is so much of an improvement over old Fairfield that it seems stupid to criticize it.

Fairfield is a Gold level course. None of the other Chicagoland courses are specifically designed for Gold level. The Canyons is probably the best Blue level course in the area and has even a few more multiple tees than Fairfield on some holes to challenge different skill levels. Moving farther outside Chicago, I think Lemon Lake Gold, at least as I remember it before tree loss, is a more complete gold level course than Fairfield which is on the shorter lower SSA end of gold level courses. If the proposed enhancements ever get done at Fairfield, it will be longer and with more challenges on the open holes. I think Valpo may be a bit better blue level course than Canyons.

Fairfield is a Gold level course. None of the other Chicagoland courses are specifically designed for Gold level. The Canyons is probably the best Blue level course in the area and has even a few more multiple tees than Fairfield on some holes to challenge different skill levels. Moving farther outside Chicago, I think Lemon Lake Gold, at least as I remember it before tree loss, is a more complete gold level course than Fairfield which is on the shorter lower SSA end of gold level courses. If the proposed enhancements ever get done at Fairfield, it will be longer and with more challenges on the open holes. I think Valpo may be a bit better blue level course than Canyons.

Chuck, just curious where you fit highland park in? Looks like a 55-57 from the longs is about scratch, par is listed at 60.

I think canyons is the best course in the area in terms of playability/property. It is easier to score on than fairfield or Highland though. A lot of the shots aren't exactly challenging to a top level golfer. Fairfield on the other hand is exactly how you said it. Gold level with a variety of difficult shots and not too many "easy" 2s.

I like Highland. When I pass through Chicago staying in Lemont 6-8 times a year, I consider Highland an equal option to Canyons when I only have time for 18 holes. I also like Katherine Leggett for a more relaxing round where I can practice shots without worrying about water hazards or landing on/over steep banks.

I like Highland. When I pass through Chicago staying in Lemont 6-8 times a year, I consider Highland an equal option to Canyons when I only have time for 18 holes. I also like Katherine Leggett for a more relaxing round where I can practice shots without worrying about water hazards or landing on/over steep banks.

I agree. K Legge is a good practice course really. You wouldn't happen to know what the story is behind all the walks, washed out roads, etc. on the back nine of Highland would you? Not that I mind playing around it because its really neat ...just curious what the story is.

I'm not from the area and haven't heard what the back story is on the old concrete at Highland. It feels like the structures may have been built in the 30s as a depression era make-work public works project of some sort.

Latest posts