• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

I bagged the Colt today 175g. After throwing a Wizard for a year, I will not be using the Colt to putt with, but I do like it as a straight driving putter. IMO its a pretty true putter on release. Once it turned it did not come back for me. no high speed turn thrown at about 70%. Ill use it again.

I bagged the Colt today 175g. After throwing a Wizard for a year, I will not be using the Colt to putt with, but I do like it as a straight driving putter. IMO its a pretty true putter on release. Once it turned it did not come back for me. no high speed turn thrown at about 70%. Ill use it again.

I'm the same, been putting with Wizards for a while, and for whatever reason my putting has greatly improved. Don't like putting with the Colt, I've had some kickbacks/spit outs that I don't get with a beefier disc

I'm the same, been putting with Wizards for a while, and for whatever reason my putting has greatly improved. Don't like putting with the Colt, I've had some kickbacks/spit outs that I don't get with a beefier disc

I putt with the Classic Blend Judge and prefer it, but I CAN putt with the Colt effectively. Today I played with only three discs: my new Champ TL, a 173g Wave... and the Colt. The Colt has chased almost all other mids out of my bag, so good is it with approaches/upshots. And I can finish off with it as well. The Colt deserves to be disc of the year, and I continue to manifest it in Star (*NOT* GStar) plastic.

I putt with the Classic Blend Judge and prefer it, but I CAN putt with the Colt effectively. Today I played with only three discs: my new Champ TL, a 173g Wave... and the Colt. The Colt has chased almost all other mids out of my bag, so good is it with approaches/upshots. And I can finish off with it as well. The Colt deserves to be disc of the year, and I continue to manifest it in Star (*NOT* GStar) plastic.

I actually really enjoy the feel of the XT plastic. I bought a DX and did not care for it. Star or champ would be fun to try out, but I'm addicted to the first run XT protos

I was going to buy some more colts but I think I'll wait for the production run. Bring on the champs!

Hmmm, I thought the regular production run Colts were already out there, at least for DX and XT. Or do you mean GStar?

I have not seen a production run DX yet. Not saying they aren't out there, but I just haven't seen one. I do see XT production runs for sale online.

I went by Disc Stalker today to turn in a disc I'd found. They had about 8 DX prototype colts a few weeks ago. I bought 2, and a friend of mine bought 1, and they're now completely sold out of Colts.

Last but not least, while I'd love a Star Colt, I suspect my best chance to get a long-lasting Colt is going to be in Champion plastic (I am *not* going to buy a GStar Colt, so sorry.) and use it like crazy to break it in (not that hard to do, I could use this disc for 1-disc rounds any time...). So I agree with the poster who said "bring on the Champ Colts!"...

If they are out I missed them.
The colts are working good for me in DX but I would something that doesn't break in so fast and hopefully starts out slightly overstable. My driving putters are currently Envys and Colts.

Looks like Infinite Discs has both proto and production run Colts, both in DX and in XT if you're buying online.

As far as champ goes, I don't think we have any idea whether those will ever happen. My understanding is that the Colt was designed to replace the XD and CR, and I think those only ever happened in champ plastic in very limited runs, so hard to say whether Innova will do champ Colts. My guess is that if they do them, they'll be tournament fundraisers or limited runs available in the Factory Store.

so hard to say whether Innova will do champ Colts. My guess is that if they do them, they'll be tournament fundraisers or limited runs available in the Factory Store.

My thinking is that everything Innova has done in VTech (convex rim), they've come out with a Champ version. VRoc, Wombat, etc... are now out in Champ plastic. So judging upon this, I'd expect a JL Champ Colt to come out sometime in the future.

Looks like Infinite Discs has both proto and production run Colts, both in DX and in XT if you're buying online.

As far as champ goes, I don't think we have any idea whether those will ever happen. My understanding is that the Colt was designed to replace the XD and CR, and I think those only ever happened in champ plastic in very limited runs, so hard to say whether Innova will do champ Colts. My guess is that if they do them, they'll be tournament fundraisers or limited runs available in the Factory Store.
Yeah I missed them. Time to order some more discs. You're probably right about the champ colts.

That stinks!

But look at the success of the Champ Roc3 and Champ Gator recently released for mass production.

Champ Rocs and Gators were hard to come by for years and it was a huge hit when they were finally regular production.

CCRs fetch an insane premium on FB and Forums. A JL Colt should be a hit, and would likely give the mold some staying power. Look at the market share the Envy has carved out!
Basically this is what Innova would be competing with in the Colt.

I don't bag the Gyro stuff, just not a fan of overmolds. If I did it would be the Envy. I love the CCR, but don't bag it anymore bc of the fear of losing it. I would really love the Colt in Champ. If Innova decides to pass on making these, I see it as a huge missed opportunity. The Colt mold has a little momentum, and if they released production Champ Colts, they would likely sell well and give the mold some staying power. If not, I see the mold dying off and being another irrelevant mold made by Innova like the Wolf. Only a few die hards will toss it, otherwise it will just be overlooked. Premium plastic IS the name of the game right now, with other companies offering multiple premium options.

Fluid, Opto, Lava, Plasma, Lucid, 400, 400g, 350, 225....(clearly I don't know Prodigy plastic, but they make a F***ton of different premium blends)

As far as I know, there are no regular production champ Gators or (Rancho) Rocs. Champ Gators are a Factory Store special only, which is where I would expect to see champ Colts. I believe you can get champ Rancho Rocs as tournament fundraiser discs if you are a TD, which is another place I might expect to see champ Colts. Needless to say, Roc3's are not the same thing as Rancho Rocs.

I certainly don't disagree on champ Colts (assuming they the discs molded up decently in champ); I'd buy one. However, this isn't a mid; it's a putter, and Innova doesn't make a whole lot of putters available in premium plastic, especially champion. All those VTech molds people are referencing here that Innova has released in champ recently are mids...

I certainly don't disagree on champ Colts (assuming they the discs molded up decently in champ); I'd buy one. However, this isn't a mid; it's a putter, and Innova doesn't make a whole lot of putters available in premium plastic, especially champion. All those VTech molds people are referencing here that Innova has released in champ recently are mids...

True, the VTechs put out so far are mids, and the Colt is (to my knowledge) the first VTech putter (dunno what the Whale is, but I digress). I didn't expect a Champ Wombat at all (I'm hearing that Wombats don't sell all that great as it is), but it's there. So the Colt is the latest VTech disc... IMHO they'll bring it out in Champ plastic sooner or later.

Innova DOES make (a whole lot of) putters in premium plastic: Star Aviar P&A, Star Aviar Driver, Star Rhyno, Star Dart... I held samples of all three in my grubby paws today. Also, the Aviar P&A is available in Champion plastic, and I own two of them... one of them is firm and really great, the other a bit softer and not quite as good for me. But Champ Aviars are nice...and they are out there.

Yep and Champ Rhyno's. My PIAS has champ Whales on the shelf now.

Granted the Rancho and R3 are different molds, they are super similar. I believe the reason Champ Ranchos are not available for production at this point is that the Rancho mold is on it's last legs. The rims are getting more plusy all the time, which is usually a good indicator it's approaching retirement. They are likely holding the production down to preserve it for special occasions (ie USDGC). The Roc3 is the Roc of the future and there are pretty beefy variants out there that can compete w Ranchos for OS.

The Gator may not be stock stamp, but they are plentiful.

But I digress. If history is an indicator, the odds are, you're 100% right. Innova will dangle the champ colts in front of our noses and make you work hard to find one.

I love a lot of Innova molds l, but they are an annoying company to like at times.

Yep and Champ Rhyno's. My PIAS has champ Whales on the shelf now.

Granted the Rancho and R3 are different molds, they are super similar. I believe the reason Champ Ranchos are not available for production at this point is that the Rancho mold is on it's last legs. The rims are getting more plusy all the time, which is usually a good indicator it's approaching retirement. They are likely holding the production down to preserve it for special occasions (ie USDGC). The Roc3 is the Roc of the future and there are pretty beefy variants out there that can compete w Ranchos for OS.

The Gator may not be stock stamp, but they are plentiful.

But I digress. If history is an indicator, the odds are, you're 100% right. Innova will dangle the champ colts in front of our noses and make you work hard to find one.

I love a lot of Innova molds l, but they are an annoying company to like at times.

I agree, they are annoying sometimes about things like this. The only think I disagree with you on is that Rancho mold is on its last legs. If it IS on its last legs, I guarantee you they'll replace it when it dies. There are SO many Innova pros (and regular players) who throw Rancho Rocs rather than Roc3's that I can't imagine they would retire that mold in favor of only selling the Roc3. There would just be too much uproar to not at least TRY to replace the Rancho mold pieces with identical pieces. I just can't see everyone who throws DX and KC Rocs switching over to Roc3s, and that's a lot of players.

I use an XT Colt for putting, but I also keep a C-line p3 putter in the bag for stuff I'd want a champ colt for. I'm pleased with that combo for now.

I'm playing with 2 XT Colts (non-prototype) around 173g right now. I love the feel of the disc in my hand. It feels so much easier to hold than my Nova. I was a big RPro XD thrower last year but gave up on that mold as the discs would beat in too quickly especially playing through trees.

As a driving putter, on a RHBH hyzer line, the disc flies super straight. I can also put it flat for a finish to the right. I'm considering replacing my Nova with this right now. My form isn't as great as McBeth, and can't seem to control the Nova as well as he can. The Colt just seems more forgiving for this slot.

I'm playing with 2 XT Colts (non-prototype) around 173g right now. I love the feel of the disc in my hand. It feels so much easier to hold than my Nova. I was a big RPro XD thrower last year but gave up on that mold as the discs would beat in too quickly especially playing through trees.

As a driving putter, on a RHBH hyzer line, the disc flies super straight. I can also put it flat for a finish to the right. I'm considering replacing my Nova with this right now. My form isn't as great as McBeth, and can't seem to control the Nova as well as he can. The Colt just seems more forgiving for this slot.

Totally agree about the Colt vs. the Nova. Nova is okay, but is a deeper-rimmed putter. The Colt's shallow rim is a positive attribute for my grubby paws.

My question: anyone have any 'scoop' on if and when the Colt might come out in Star or Champion plastic? I don't want GStar, and I'd really really love this disc in a premium plastic that will take longer than DX to beat in...

The star Vroc was just released, which gives
Me hope for a star colt.

Latest posts