• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

I'll take easy odds on that. Innova can't seem to make mids and putters w/o dome in anything but baseline. Champ Aviars are about 3" thick...hideous. And the last Champ Panther I saw loose from a starter pack was so mega dome it looked like the lid for a crock pot.

Most of my Innova mids are flat. Champ Roc3, Champ Mako3, Star Mako, Champ Shark3, Champ Gator, and Gstar Mako. Also have a flat GStar Aviar. Go to a store and pick out a flat one. Its nice to have options. I prefer a good dome on my drivers so I go to a store and pick out the domey ones. Dont buy online if you are too picky like me.

Last edited:
As we are talking about domes does anyone else's XT proto have quite a dome? Mine is damn near pop top =/.

I own 9 or 10 XT protos and not a single one has more than the slightest of domes. I think you must have a really weird aberration because I definitely haven't seen an XT proto that could be described as anything close to pop top. I think I'd either sell it or try flattening it if I were you.

I bought five XT protos, picked them out of a stack of about 30 and they were all flat.

I bought five XT protos, picked them out of a stack of about 30 and they were all flat.

The rubber will hit the road (pun not intended) when a Champion or Star plastic Colt comes out. We'll see how flat those are, especially vis-a-vis the Colts out in DX and XT today...

Ok cool.

Innova still pumps out more discs than Gateway and Prodigy combined.

Innova puts out 20 times more discs. The fact that Innova has discs in select Wal-Marts proves that they sell tons! I wouldn't be surprised if they farmed out work to other companies to make DX discs.

I'm hoping any Champ or Star Colts are shallow and flat like DX, and much longer lasting.

Put a DX Colt in the basket from 130 ft. out on Wednesday. Incredibly good disc...

Yeah, I noticed a distinct loss of stability after a few rounds.

Shallow flat Champ would rock.

Yeah, I noticed a distinct loss of stability after a few rounds.

Shallow flat Champ would rock.

My DX Colts have stayed pretty straight flying even as they get worn in and beat up a little. In fairness, I'm cycling them, which makes them last a bit longer.

I ordered a pink DX Colt for Save-The-Ta-Tas Month, when I play an all-pink bag. I'm thinking a Star or Champ Colt may come to us in the Spring, though if it comes earlier I'll be most very happy...

UPDATE: Acquired my new DX Colt and used it for the first time in today's round. It is a non-Proto DX Colt, and I compared it to my Proto DX Colts. First, the non-Proto is a bit more domey than the Protos. Not a lot, but definitely something my eyes can see and my grubby paws can feel when gripping it. Second, the convex underside of the non-proto seems to be "flatter" than the Protos.

Throwing: on putts and approach shots, there's not a lot of difference at all. The Colt flies pretty straight and I mostly threw it flat and low as it was very windy out today (and some rain). I was happy that the Colt performed well in the adverse conditions.

However, when I threw the new Colt full power, it turned over really hard to the right (RHBH throw). Not just a drift but big curve to the right. This was disappointing to me. I want to work with the Colt some more and see if maybe that hard turn was an abberation in the wind, or if the non-proto DX Colt really is that much more understable than the Protos when thrown at full power.

A domey Champ Colt and a Star Colt with the proto top would be awesome. (Hint hint to Innova)

UPDATE: Acquired my new DX Colt and used it for the first time in today's round. It is a non-Proto DX Colt, and I compared it to my Proto DX Colts. First, the non-Proto is a bit more domey than the Protos. Not a lot, but definitely something my eyes can see and my grubby paws can feel when gripping it. Second, the convex underside of the non-proto seems to be "flatter" than the Protos.

Throwing: on putts and approach shots, there's not a lot of difference at all. The Colt flies pretty straight and I mostly threw it flat and low as it was very windy out today (and some rain). I was happy that the Colt performed well in the adverse conditions.

However, when I threw the new Colt full power, it turned over really hard to the right (RHBH throw). Not just a drift but big curve to the right. This was disappointing to me. I want to work with the Colt some more and see if maybe that hard turn was an abberation in the wind, or if the non-proto DX Colt really is that much more understable than the Protos when thrown at full power.

A domey Champ Colt and a Star Colt with the proto top would be awesome. (Hint hint to Innova)

My experience with the Proto- and Production DX Colts is similar. The production version is a different disc as SD86 points out ... flat blunt nose added gives a "fatter" feel in my grip; not extreme, but noticeable. Flight of proto vs production in no wind seemed similar with the production appearing to be slightly slower (result of squaring off the nose?). I found the production Colts to turn over when I didn't expect them to when throwing into moderate (~10 mph) headwinds ... the proto's didn't / don't turn over with the same throw into the same wind. With adjustment to release angle, I could make the production Colts fly straight.

Still, a good disc. I prefer the Proto's over the Production DX Colts (maybe because I've had more time throwing the Proto's.) Splitting hairs, the Proto DX Colts work and fly for me like a small diameter mid-range while the the Production version is more like the speed 3 putter the flight ratings indicate. The proto DX Colt found a spot in my bag as a "baby Roc" ... I bought a stack of them before the production version was released.

Splitting hairs, the Proto DX Colts work and fly for me like a small diameter mid-range while the the Production version is more like the speed 3 putter the flight ratings indicate.

That's a good analogy. I've been using my (Proto) Colts as straight mids and approach discs, to really good effect. A longer shot from a production Colt might be too much to ask of the disc as it turns over when powered up hard. Maybe if I put a touch of hyzer on it, it'll take the turnover out of it. I need to work with the production one some more and see how things work out with it.

My hope is that a Champ Colt and/or Star Colt will take care of those understability issues because of the plastics themselves.

So why no love for XT Colt? I haven't thrown DX, but I relly like my production run XT. Very straight and sneaky long. Flat and seems fairly durable.

So why no love for XT Colt? I haven't thrown DX, but I relly like my production run XT. Very straight and sneaky long. Flat and seems fairly durable.

Many people do like XT Colts, and there is nothing wrong with them. For me, I personally am not a big fan of XT plastc. I have an Archangel in XT and also an XT Nova (and once had an XT Atlas). The XT plastic just didn't feel right in my grubby paws. The Archangel feels "dried out" when I grip it, for lack of a better term. That's a personal thing and not an indictment of the plastic itself, of course.

I bought one production run XT Colt and one First Run XT Colt couple weeks ago. They have different rims. I then ordered another production run XT Colt, but I got proto run Colt instead. This has same rim as in First Run Colt but it has antidome whereas the First Run version has bit of a dome. So now I have three different kind of Colts...

I finally felt some production colts. It's funny that innova calls it a retool because they don't even look or feel like the same disc. I'm going back to Pures.

Latest posts