• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] The Colt

Late to the Colt thing. One showed up at our Hastings, so I bought it. 175 Dx.

Wow what a fun disc. OTOH, I can't see it fitting in the bag. Would be great in a limited disc bag. I may carry it in place of my normal neutral and US approach discs just for fun for a bit to see. It will stay in my truck for one disc rounds at a local 6 hole college campus course.

Better late than never! Welcome to the party. The Colt is an essential part of my bag, and part of my minimalist 3-disc set (with the TL and a distance driver).

Late to the Colt thing. One showed up at our Hastings, so I bought it. 175 Dx.

Wow what a fun disc. OTOH, I can't see it fitting in the bag. Would be great in a limited disc bag. I may carry it in place of my normal neutral and US approach discs just for fun for a bit to see. It will stay in my truck for one disc rounds at a local 6 hole college campus course.

The Colt is an interesting disc like that. Fun to throw but sometimes hard to imagine places to use it. For me, it replace my lucid Judge as my driving putter, but I still putt and approach with Judges and Pigs.

It's very much a tweener disc, and I mean that in the best way. In the way that it could almost eliminate all other putters and mids out of your bag in a few disc setup. But can be difficult to fit into a 12+ bag setup.

The Colt is an interesting disc like that. Fun to throw but sometimes hard to imagine places to use it. For me, it replace my lucid Judge as my driving putter, but I still putt and approach with Judges and Pigs.

It's very much a tweener disc, and I mean that in the best way. In the way that it could almost eliminate all other putters and mids out of your bag in a few disc setup. But can be difficult to fit into a 12+ bag setup.

I don't have this issue. For me, the Colt is what I use on approaches (outside 30-40 ft.) that I am trying to put into the chains or park right at the basket. Some would jump putt to do this, some would throw putters as approaches. I use the Colt and go for it.

Yeah I liked Colts a lot for a while, but I had several issues with them. One was I liked the stability of the XT protos, both for putting and driving, but that started to wear off after a couple months (and this was cycling several in and out of my bag). Once they started getting flippier, I could no longer depend on them for those dead straight 250 - 300 foot shots that they worked so well for when they were fresh. And of course the production version is less stable out of the box. I also found Colts a bit hard to range on approach shots too (say 50 - 100 feet). They are a bit glidey, and it was really easy to blow by the basket and end up with a 35 foot come back putt, which is something I never do with Pigs (or Scales, Serpents, etc.).

The Colt really is a great do-it-all mold, and if I were picking a disc to take on a one-disc round for a shorter course, a fresh XT Colt would be high in the running. If Innova ever makes one in Champion plastic, I think I might try it since Champion tends to be a bit more stable with less glide, which might make it like a more durable version of the XT protos.

The Colt really is a great do-it-all mold, and if I were picking a disc to take on a one-disc round for a shorter course, a fresh XT Colt would be high in the running. If Innova ever makes one in Champion plastic, I think I might try it since Champion tends to be a bit more stable with less glide, which might make it like a more durable version of the XT protos.

Have you tried a Colt in Star plastic? I heartily recommend the Star Colt. It's like the protos in its flight. It won't season in and become understable, at least not for a long, long time; mine are still acting very fresh.

I'll probably try a Champion Colt and/or Metal Flake Champ Colt and/or colored glow Champ Colts (hints hints hints) if and when they come out, but the Star Colt is a great addition to my bag.

Those could have been my words exactly. My Pures and Proxy are worried, but not officially scared.

When I was worried about the mold change of the Colt I went back to pures for awhile. I can do basically the same shots with pures, colts and proto colts. I like the feel of the proto colts the best followed by the colt then the pure.

I agree it is a tweener, but I have embraced the colt and made mids the tweener in my bag. I now go from colt to viper instead of aviar to roc.

After throwing my 173g DX prototype Colt for a few weeks I feel that I should write a short review. Simply put, this is the straightest disc I have personally thrown. I throw this at a standstill at 75% power. Thrown flat it will just go right where you aim. As long as it is thrown flat, it is very wind resistant. Very fun to watch fly. I have mixed results at full power throws. It is quite long for its speed but if you have a little OAT on it, it will go right. With good form this disc will hold the line you put it on. I love this disc, my go to for tunnel shots or gentle anhyzers.

yeah, loving the star colt the past week. they fly so sweet and smooth, almost effortless. I get lines like a baby s-line fd. They are very form hungry though buuut it makes completing a shot that much more rewarding. Super fun disc, now I really hope they mold some in JL. If they react like the tern, and a star colt is -1 turn and the JL colt is a 0 turn it will be a game changer for me(I hate large diameter mids :/)

Colt Love Bump!

The Colt flame has kinda faltered here lately. I still love and throw my DX Proto version every-time I am on the course!

I am glad I bought a back-up stack of them a while ago because I bought a friend a production "new" one for part of his Christmas gift. Man, that thing feels horrible in the hand, feels like Innova put a spacer in the mold to make the disc taller for some reason :thmbdown:.

Feels so bad in the hand that buying/throwing one will never be an option for me. :gross:!

Feels bad and doesn't fly the same either. The colt went from one the best discs of the year to just another ho hum putter.

I played in an Ice Bowl this weekend. I drive, approach and putt with my DX proto Colt. One guy on my card asked how I throw such lazer beams. I told him it was the disc... Love my Colt!

Man, that thing feels horrible in the hand, feels like Innova put a spacer in the mold to make the disc taller for some reason :thmbdown:.
Feels so bad in the hand that buying/throwing one will never be an option for me. :gross:!

Agreed. My one Production DX Colt feels taller (domier) in the hand and is much more understable than the proto-DXs and Star Colts. It's pink, so I only throw it during 'Save the Ta-Tas' month.

Feels bad and doesn't fly the same either. The colt went from one the best discs of the year to just another ho hum putter.

Not at all... the STAR Colt remains my go-to approach disc. The Star Colt is still laser-straight and doesn't wear down or taco when it hits a tree.

P.S. I love me Star Colts, but I look forward to a Champion Colt :popcorn: and a nice pipe-dream is a Metal Flake Colt :popcorn: :popcorn:

The especially enraging thing is that DD specifically tinkered with the mold to make it mold up like it does. They need better marketing staff at Innova that can do focus groups and convince DD that he is in fact a terrible disc golfer that should trust the desires of the market.

so does this mean my flat top buttery dx colt is worth something?? :)

If you like the Colt, you really ought to try the Kastaplast Reko... check out out. WAY better plastic and I'd call it pretty close to the 3/4/-1/1 of the Colt.

There is no way innova can look at or throw the new Colt and honestly say its an improvement.
The new Colt is very whale like.

If you like the Colt, you really ought to try the Kastaplast Reko... check out out. WAY better plastic and I'd call it pretty close to the 3/4/-1/1 of the Colt.

Is it shallow-rimmed like the Colt? And the plastic is better than Star plastic? I dunno....

Latest posts