• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
buzzz flx

LljKlXm.png

nothing hugely complicated, but finally dyed our 'travelling trophy discs' for our (can't-officially-call-it-a-)league at work last night:
20150723_234326.jpg

20150723_232108.jpg

pretty happy with how they turned out, considering these are dyes #2-4 for me...

My first 2 successful dye jobs.

Why do my pics always come out sideways?

My first try was on a blue Star Roadrunner. I didn't realize how LITTLE I-Dye it took to get the desired effect and basically dyed it purple.:doh: Made an adjustment and made these 2 last night with the shaving cream method.

0fTinVk.jpg

[/IMG]
Ai2VJvD.jpg

2nd run C-line FD

28ish coats w/ heat application to get the red so deep, still doesn't shine through the flight plate as strong as a single coat of spike-it worm dye on the bottom of the disc(acetone).

top is soap w/ heat application.
Bottom is actually a shaving cream dye w/ heat.

Here is my latest dyes one for myself and the other for a friends b-day present.

The Cobra on the King Cobra ( my second dye ) is a thrower that I bag myself. This one was just a red dip that was dipped three times to get the dark red. No bleeds either, I was happy :D!

The Star Wars "yin-yang" ( my third dye ) is on a Moonshine River for a friend and fellow "Star Dork" like my self. This was my first two color dye. Several dips in the black and then about eight minutes in the red. Turned out pretty awesome and the only bleed was on the nipple. I did not realize that the nipple was so pronounced until I had placed the vinyl.

The stamp was deep on the edges so that is why the stamp is not positioned to read correctly when the disc is upright. I was just trying to keep the bleeds at bay.

My wife thought this one turned out so good that I should not give it away. I bought this disc with the intention to dye it and give it away. So away the disc must go :D.

I will try to take and post a glow pic update soon.

Mega thanks to Bennett for the vinyl cuts and the help. He is always there when I have noob dye questions, :hfive: for an awesome dude!

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0418.jpg
    IMG_0418.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
What is the green you are using if I might ask?

It was actually Blue I-Dye Poly on a yellow disc. When I opened the pack with the dye in it for my first try I just cut the corner off. I then put it inside a small Ziploc bag to keep it from getting everywhere. When I did these last night I just took the pack out of the Ziploc and tapped it over the disc to get any that might be stuck to the outside of the pack. So it wasn't much on the disc at all. Did the same with red and then covered it with the shaving cream/water mix and put it up. I was very surprised when I washed the mix off this morning. I was expecting a very light coloring, but was very happy with the way it turned out. :thmbup:

Here is my latest dyes one for myself and the other for a friends b-day present.

The Cobra on the King Cobra ( my second dye ) is a thrower that I bag myself. This one was just a red dip that was dipped three times to get the dark red. No bleeds either, I was happy :D!

The Star Wars "yin-yang" ( my third dye ) is on a Moonshine River for a friend and fellow "Star Dork" like my self. This was my first two color dye. Several dips in the black and then about eight minutes in the red. Turned out pretty awesome and the only bleed was on the nipple. I did not realize that the nipple was so pronounced until I had placed the vinyl.

The stamp was deep on the edges so that is why the stamp is not positioned to read correctly when the disc is upright. I was just trying to keep the bleeds at bay.

My wife thought this one turned out so good that I should not give it away. I bought this disc with the intention to dye it and give it away. So away the disc must go :D.

I will try to take and post a glow pic update soon.

Mega thanks to Bennett for the vinyl cuts and the help. He is always there when I have noob dye questions, :hfive: for an awesome dude!

These turned out GREAT! Well done, especially love the yin yang! You got two more stencils left, can't wait to see how they turn out!

nothing hugely complicated, but finally dyed our 'travelling trophy discs' for our (can't-officially-call-it-a-)league at work last night:
20150723_234326.jpg

20150723_232108.jpg

pretty happy with how they turned out, considering these are dyes #2-4 for me...

That 3rd place one is awesome :D

Did some stuff well. Did some other stuff not-so-well.

If I start going into detail I will end up with a massively huge post, so I will just say that overall I am happy with it. I wish I had a second chance at a lot of stuff, but that's how it goes.

I have about 25 pictures throughout the process - if people are interested I can post a full write up in a different thread. Let me know.

The pics below are (1) as far as the first mask took me, and (2) as far as the second mask took me. It was done with only the 1 remask.

picture.php

:standing ovation:

Incredible work sir

for reals, the lense effect (distortion of the grid) on either side of the headdress is especially baller

Second FD dye: My first Spin Dye

Third run C-line FD. The flight plate was and still is(in the negative space), super-glass-clear. When I got it (used) it had a tiny ring of pink pigment imbedded in the rim, thicker in some places than others. The pink was not present in the flight plate. To get the rim brighter and more visible I used spike-it hot pink and applied it to all three sides (top/bottom/inner[rim]) using a cotton ball. I-dye blue was added to some pink lines to skew them towards purple. A gradient of spike-it orange(my own mixture of pink and chartreuse) was applied to the underside in between the circle of the stamp and the rim. and I-dye black was used to add some definition and contrast. (
o1aAWfa.jpg
[/IMG]

Status
Not open for further replies.