• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you chUck from DGR?

Yes. I just finished reading through almost every thread on the disc dyeing pages here, took me a quite a while. There's some very, very cool stuff hidden in the archives. :thmbup:

I figured I'd sign on into the peanut gallery and ogle the dyes that I never get to see on DGR.

Yes. I just finished reading through almost every thread on the disc dyeing pages here, took me a quite a while. There's some very, very cool stuff hidden in the archives. :thmbup:

I figured I'd sign on into the peanut gallery and ogle the dyes that I never get to see on DGR.
Sweet! Cant wait to see some more of your goodies! You do some great work. And yes there is alot of sweet dyeing going on over here!:)

Heres another one for you guys!
katana.png

here's my first dye attempt, turned out really well i think...what do you think, any pointers?
29bn4mr.jpg

(NOTE: I give full credit for the design to "BennettUA". I simply tried to replicate it.)

that "sweating" design I have had happen by accident. It comes from bubbles forming under the disc. This is different than the bubbles under the vinyl that people push out with a credit card. I am referring to dipping your disc too early after mixing your rit and water and there is a foam or bubbles on the surface of your liquid.

Second way I have had bubbles is by using a crappy pan and heated rit water. As we all know, if you heat your water enough you will see steam, which is really water vapor or water evaporating. A crappy pan with cuts or rough spots on the bottom serves as bubble formation points, much like how C02 bubbles form so quickly (and violently) on mentos tablets when dropped in diet coke. (the mentos tablets have tiny pores or craters on the surface that allows bubbles to form and take shape by the thousands). So when your water is heated, especially by stove-top where the bottom of the pan is the hottest, water will start turning to gas and bubble up under your disc even if you started out with a nice flat pool in your pan.

The way I usually get the bubbles is pretty easy. I get my dye up to temp, then I grab a whisk, tilt the pan, and whip the hell out of the dye. You should get a solid layer of bubbles after whipping for about a minute. If you have are dyeing accents or color in a design the edges of the stencil will trap the bubbles and give you the bubbly look ( like the skull ).

For a different effect I also use it for backgrounds. It gives a streaky, kind of random background effect as the bubbles slowly work their way out to the discs edge. I do multiple dip and whip sessions to add depth, usually ends up looking pretty sweet. Heres an example:
DSC00583.jpg

Sorry about the quality of the following pictures. My Blackberry Camera is the fail when it comes to taking pictures in low light. I'm getting ready to deliver these discs to the people that ordered them and it's the only camera I have at work.

IMG00064-20100623-1023.jpg

IMG00061-20100623-0956.jpg

IMG00059-20100623-0956.jpg

My first attempts at dying discs. They are both on used discs with markings from a sharpie on them. Just trying to get a feel for it.

DG016.jpg

Rise Against logo on a SL and a Chocobo on a Destroyer

Tried the marbling technique on this Excalibur...

Attachments

• EXCALIBUR.jpg
    EXCALIBUR.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts