• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
posted this in cool combos and forgot to share here. star leopard. the yellow rim must have been from being stored between some brighter colored discs. it had a cool neon green ring on the back
ClawsStarLeopard2.jpg

I dyed this last night, and cleaned and finished it today. The picture is crap, but the background is Midnight blue. I just used the same black dye for the blue that I did for the black. I've gotten a diverse array of colors to come out of that batch of black, depending on the plastic and exposure time. There are a couple bleeds from too much heat(first time trying to dye on the stove while dinner's in the oven).
Overall, it is not one of my better dyes, but for doing 6 colors in 2 hours on a dye I never tried before, it's acceptable.
111012_141039.jpg

Just finished this tonight for a buddy that's a huge rugby fan. It's Star Wraith with his favorite team's logo. He's picking them to win the Rugby World Cup next week. I hope he enjoys it. Go New Zealand!

Attachments

• NZ All Blacks.jpg
    NZ All Blacks.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 35
Show Me the chains!

Discraft Glo Stalker. Plotter cut (no really, it is!), heat dipped, RIT powder, wax masked. Couldn't get my girlfriend to weed it for me. Gotta come up with a different approach. I missed centering it perfectly by just a notch, but it is good enough for government work....

This is my everyday driver. The disc was getting scuffed up and the silver moon that came printed on the disc was getting worn, so I decided to try and put the Great Seal of the State of Missouri on it. I think it turned out pretty good. Now I can put it back in my back and go knock some leaves off of some trees with it. Enjoy - or not.

moseal.jpg

Has anyone tried dyeing DGA sparkle plastic??? I guess my concern is whether the sparkle flakes can still be seen. I'm guessing yes, but without dark vibrant colors. I'm trying to figure out if a black with metallic flakes is possible???

Has anyone tried dyeing DGA sparkle plastic??? I guess my concern is whether the sparkle flakes can still be seen. I'm guessing yes, but without dark vibrant colors. I'm trying to figure out if a black with metallic flakes is possible???

It dyes just like Discraft Z plastic (absorbs well, doesn't fade much) and the metal flakes do sparkle through the black. I thought I had a pic on photobucket, but I guess I never uploaded it...:wall: Look for that tonight.

A word of warning with black on sparkle: it is INVISIBLE in the grass on a sunny day.

I dyed a Yellow Sparkle Rogue red and black. The glitter shows through fine. The plastic itself was a little bit slow to take the dye and get vibrant colors, but only about 5-10 minutes longer. Also, it let some of the disc color out and stuck to the masking, but nothing noticeable on the disc.

It dyes just like Discraft Z plastic (absorbs well, doesn't fade much) and the metal flakes do sparkle through the black. I thought I had a pic on photobucket, but I guess I never uploaded it...:wall: Look for that tonight.

A word of warning with black on sparkle: it is INVISIBLE in the grass on a sunny day.

Thanks Truk...I was worried the flakes wouldn't shine. Looking forward to that pic if you can find it. And thanks for the warning. :thmbup:

Thanks Truk...I was worried the flakes wouldn't shine. Looking forward to that pic if you can find it. And thanks for the warning. :thmbup:
awesome.jpg

On second look, the sparkle flakes on the surface are unaffected, but the deeper ones do shine through less. It's more noticable on the rim than the flight plate.

I just did a sparkle Squall last week. Original was red and it had someone's sharpie and dye all over it, so I decided to dye the whole thing black. Heat dipped with rit liquid (almost 10 years old, still good!). I let it soak a long time just to make sure it would come out solid black and all of that ink and crap would disappear. It did, but so did the sparkles. Can't see any of them unless you hold it up to a very bright light. Against the light it still has a slight black cherry look, but looking at it normally, it's deep black and nothing else. Took the dye quickly and easily, so I'd imagine that shorter dips would still let the sparkles show...easy to experiment with. So far, I have no problem seeing it in the grass at all under sunlight or moonlight.

Use more weight Dj for better coverage, like >10lbs! And who writes the weight and description on the top of a disc??? Have a talk with your dealer.

Very nice disc, and being from Kansas it isn't easy for me to say that :D.

The belt buckle's kinda weird isn't it? Never noticed it before... If that's supposed to be a belt then the text is upside down right?

Last edited:
I didn't have the money to buy myself any MVP for my birthday last month, so today I dyed my AR Hornet to look like one. It will fly nicely at the IDGC this weekend.
111013_204729.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts