• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Dye A Day Thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get some from Walmart. I'm not sure what it's called but I used it all the time when I started but just for handcutting.

I've already done the free vinyl thing. Both rolls I got bleed really badly when dipping. I can only paint on with them and the color isn't the same using that method.

I've already done the free vinyl thing. Both rolls I got bleed really badly when dipping. I can only paint on with them and the color isn't the same using that method.

You can always use contact paper if your not using a plotter. I think it works just as well as vinyl and is super cheap for a roll. I still use it to this day.

I have used both the clear and the white contact papers. The white stretches more for a better "fit," and is easier to get bubbles and creases out of , but the clear is clear and seems thicker and stiffer. Either one works fine for most dyes, and the price is less than that of shipping a few square feet of vinyl.
That being said, I tried out a quick dye on the Pro D putter I got at the Ace Race a couple days ago. Black on Yellow came out brown, but it looks alright. It's a softer plastic, and I beat the hell out of it, thus the bleeds and discolorations. Oh yeah, the stamp was about 25mils deep and I didn't want to scrub the plastic too hard with the acetone.
1173476.jpg

Last edited:

I haven't had any problems with my free 3M vinyl. PM me your address and I can send a few sheets of what I have been using.

I was up late last night experimenting with 'masking' by coloring with crayon. Royal blue liquid with acetone brushed on. Rinsed and cleaned of crayon with a magic eraser. DX Glow T Bird
DXGlowTBird.jpg

^^ luvin' the experimentation here, on a dx disc no less. Nice Dyeingtoplay!

One more from today's batch, a rerun that looks good on a ch Aviar, from Peebody's archives :D.

MIZchAviarsDSC_9024.jpg

^^ luvin' the experimentation here, on a dx disc no less. Nice Dyeingtoplay!

One more from today's batch, a rerun that looks good on a ch Aviar, from Peebody's archives :D.

MIZchAviarsDSC_9024.jpg

nice work. one of my personal favorite dyes. i get tons of compliments and people trying to buy the cryztal buzzz i have that on.

I was up late last night experimenting with 'masking' by coloring with crayon. Royal blue liquid with acetone brushed on. Rinsed and cleaned of crayon with a magic eraser. DX Glow T Bird
DXGlowTBird.jpg

What one. I would like to know more about this technique. Have you ever used any other kind of plastic? Or is there anything else you can tell us about how you made this beautiful MOON.

Thank you, Dan Howard and MOON for your kind words. I've been a fan of both of your works since I stumbled upon this thread and began my addiction. I have learned that dx does not dye well, but I figured the washed out look was good for this image especially on a glow disc... plus it was the last disc in my bag without dye on it =)
Method is still in experimental stage, but I'm hoping the crayon mask works as well on some of the 'shinier' plastics. I used carbon paper to trace the basic image on to the disc (the carbon comes off as easily as the crayon with the magic eraser) Then a blue crayon 'scribbled' to mask the white areas. Dye was about equal amounts of liquid rit and acetone. Brushed on several coats and let dry just a few minutes. Rinsed and used magic eraser to remove crayon.

Good info, Thx. Just curious, had you seen what FriedOkra did when he "used the edge of the end of a cheap birthday cake candle for the streaks.", on this disc?

Yeah, I did see that. Nice call and thank you to FriedOkra for the idea. I looked around for birthday candles but had none so tried the blue crayon thinking it would be easier to see what I was drawing on a white disc.

Status
Not open for further replies.