• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Elusive Ace

jskatt21

Par Member
Try as I may, I have yet to get and Ace. Hell, I have yet to hit basket or chains on a near miss Ace. I have come close, angle has been right, flight path spot on, just either too long or too short, and not by much. Maybe I should be happy with that as hitting chains or basket would probably be even more unbearable.

We have a course at work, and we laugh because there is a short hole that we have come close on, but we all know it will be that tough hole, the one that takes the right path, right angle, even hits the branch just right, that will make it happen. You know, the hole that seems impossible, yet at times you feel you just missed it.

Oh well, getting ready to go out at lunch time and try again. :wall:

It's simple, really. If you throw enough discs at enough baskets, one will stay in for that ace.

It'll happen for you...one day.

I am right there with you, have hit the pole and the basket a few times, and even have one Black ace.(two baskets on the same hole, not the one I was playing)

I kind of wonder which way is easier; throwing Mids/ putters on short holes so that it would be floating in, or throwing a faster disc that is a straight in laser beam. Most of my near misses would have blown past the basket if try hadn't hit it.

Aces are rarely ever intentional, so the more you "try" for one, the longer you might end up waiting. Forget about getting aces and just throw to get close enough for birdies. The ace will come eventually.

Look at my post in the missed ace commiseration thread(the last post). I feel your pain. I agree with bigsky and Jc, as usual.

took 9 years to get an ace for me. lots and lots of chainouts in that time frame, but eventually one stayed in. in time you'll have one go in. dont even fret about it, just keep trying to parking your drives.

Aces are rarely ever intentional, so the more you "try" for one, the longer you might end up waiting. Forget about getting aces and just throw to get close enough for birdies. The ace will come eventually.

^^^^

Absolutely. Just play your game. I've been playing longer and still have not gotten one either. And I don't know which is worse... like you, having never chained out, or like me, I've "near missed" just about every way you can ... hit the front cage, hit the top center nubbie, ran straight through chains, bounce back from the pole, skip in front, skip behind, and anything else you can imagine. It's common fodder for jokes among the guys I play with regularly. It's to the point where when I do "ace run" a hole (always now by accident), you can see/feel the others with the "ooh-ahh" fireworks-type reaction as the disc heads toward the basket and I'm calmly waiting for the words, "nice run". The last couple years they've even dogged me 'cause I don't get excited any more on a close one. OH well is what I say. I'll take all the deuces I can get.

Hang in there and have fun. Hopefully both of our first career aces will be at a time when we either really needed it or it really matters!

And short holes are deceiving mindf*@#s.

You'll get your ace soon enough ;-) It's luck.

I had 35-40 metal hits this year before getting one to stay in. A couple dead center too that just got rejected back out. A lot of it is just luck. I got one the next day too. I seem to get them in bunches.

Keep throwing.... And don't worry about hitting the ace. I had two holes I thought would be first aces (metal hits) but they weren't. If you know the line that is the ace run, and hit it - eventually it will stick. Mine was actually with a putter on a putter only round - had probably played the course 100+ times.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure an ace helps your score. :)

Yeah, yeah, yeah.

I'd rather have a drop in easy two than ace run, blow by and end up taking a three. Do I get upset with an ace? Of course not. But it's rarely ever my approach (doubles when partner is parked is the exception).

My deeper point, and yes I saw your smiling smilie, is that too much emphasis is put on aces and they really don't mean that much to me.

My deeper point, and yes I saw your smiling smilie, is that too much emphasis is put on aces and they really don't mean that much to me.

It's easy for me to say that aces don't mean that much to me, since I don't have one. But you can bet your bottom dollar that I'm going to yell and dance around when it happens.

I agree with you though. A player's goal should be to park every drive and approach. This is a much better test of skill than the lucky ace that goes in now and then. In fact, a much better skill to work on would be running the basket from 40-100 feet. This is something that can be practiced extensively, and will most assuredly lower your scores when you can start putting the disc in the basket from that distance.

Exactly. I'm never concerned with hitting an ace. I take pleasure from hitting my lines and sinking big putts. That being said i have hit aces in the past. I was playing a course on Tuesday and had a big chain out when i was just trying to set it under the basket.

Hole 10 Round Barn DGC, Manhattan Illinois
260' Baskets are raised up on a little hill(picture sucks)

Attachments

• 8d713b88_m.jpg
    8d713b88_m.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 27

I have thrown 3 aces with extreme intention...so enthralled with my target, as if I had willed my disc in.

Aces are cool (I have two in rounds), but putting lights out for a full round (or day) is way cooler. I've seen the worst players you could imagine hit aces, but couldn't hit a putt from 10' to save their lives.

On another note, its extremely hard to pull off and you are 100% right about trying too hard.

Latest posts