• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Finish & Address Position & Pre-Shot Routine

Beautiful pre-shot routine from Heather Young.
Note how she walks forward to end of tee and pauses after the shifting into plant with elbow forward and then reverses to top of backswing with front heel lifting and re-planting(can't see her feet in this) and then swings thru to finish position.
Walks back and aims with disc to target.
Walks forward again and swings thru to finish position with disc vertical/fanning to target.
Walks back to tee off.

I've been trying to settle on a pre-shot routine. I like how Heather is checking her elbow, something I'm still trying to remind myself. I will give her routine a try, and I'm a lefty, helps to see it from my side.

Who is in the video from your earlier post today? Kinda of looks like Eagle. At the bottom video he has a short x-step, something I was naturally doing my first two weeks in the two-step. Worked great!. Then I went to a new course that had some narrow gaps last week and used my one-step for the round. The next day went back out to the practice field and noticed lost distance on the two-step, I think I just figured out why, I lengthen my x-step. I think I'll shorten it back, thank you for posting! I'm now in my 15th week in my over haul, 3rd week with the 2-step.

I've been trying to settle on a pre-shot routine. I like how Heather is checking her elbow, something I'm still trying to remind myself. I will give her routine a try, and I'm a lefty, helps to see it from my side.

Who is in the video from your earlier post today? Kinda of looks like Eagle. At the bottom video he has a short x-step, something I was naturally doing my first two weeks in the two-step. Worked great!. Then I went to a new course that had some narrow gaps last week and used my one-step for the round. The next day went back out to the practice field and noticed lost distance on the two-step, I think I just figured out why, I lengthen my x-step. I think I'll shorten it back, thank you for posting! I'm now in my 15th week in my over haul, 3rd week with the 2-step.
That is Eagle.

Great thread. Not getting to the front of the tee pad/ finish position before the actual swing is a sure sign* you're a card-carrying amateur.

*Could also be a sure sign that it's time to go home. Or time to assay your composure. For me, going-to-the-front-of-the-tee-pad is one of the first things to wither when I'm tired, frustrated, or being assailed by some good-old-fashioned Sloth.

Also check out how, between the pro's pre-swing routine of walking it out/ aiming from the front of the tee pad & the actual swing, the pro's eyes flick between the planned ground brace point and the planned flight path aim point. I'd wager most amateurs are missing this off the tee.

Here's some nice Jomez camera work (from this year's Portland Open) that features this pre-shot routine element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxTwKMn26UM

Pm1yo4.gif

sF214Q.gif

dlmJRh.gif

Check out Jacob Knapek's pre-shot routine. He's the first 1000+ rated player from the Czech Republic and threw a few bombs during round 2 of the 2021 European Open. In coverage commentary*, Jussi Meresma estimated one of his drives in the 180-190 meter range.

He flips the disc from his throwing hand to his off hand as his shoulders trade places in the pre-swing. Seems to really emphasize how the trail shoulder also aims the shot.

9XEU9W.gif

*Jussi and Simon at one point discuss his pre-shot routine. Jussi: "He is very methodical on the tee". Simon: "Yeah he has a routine that he sticks to every single shot, which is obviously what you want to do. His takes a bit longer than I would prefer. But no it's definitely cool."

Check out Jacob Knapek's pre-shot routine. He's the first 1000+ rated player from the Czech Republic and threw a few bombs during round 2 of the 2021 European Open. In coverage commentary*, Jussi Meresma estimated one of his drives in the 180-190 meter range.

He flips the disc from his throwing hand to his off hand as his shoulders trade places in the pre-swing. Seems to really emphasize how the trail shoulder also aims the shot.

9XEU9W.gif

*Jussi and Simon at one point discuss his pre-shot routine. Jussi: "He is very methodical on the tee". Simon: "Yeah he has a routine that he sticks to every single shot, which is obviously what you want to do. His takes a bit longer than I would prefer. But no it's definitely cool."
Sarah Hokom does the same thing but backwards, addresses lefty backhand, but throws righty forehand. It kind of drives me crazy because I'm totally expecting to see a lefty backhand throw.

KJ Nybo and James Conrad also kind of aim finish with the left shoulder/arm going to target

Here's another item to add to the "Things You See The Pros Do A Lot & The Amateurs Do Rarely" (in regards to aiming) list: they aim from a much more "open" position.

There's probably a better way to say that, but what I mean is, when they aim, generally, their throwing arm is extended out in front of them along the target line with the disc-holding hand in the neighborhood of 2/3 o'clock if the disc were a clock face. In other words, they aim from the actual release point/ finish position upon disc release. Seems pretty obvious, right. But how many amateurs do you see set up to throw like this?

Check out the Paul McBeth/ Heather Young/ Gavin Rathbun pre-shot routine GIFs already posted in this thread - practice swing followed by that "open", extended toward the target arm/ hand aim position. It's pretty pronounced in Eagle McMahon's pre-shot routine, and Chris Dickerson's, too. You can check it out in the GIFs of Eagle already posted in this thread, and here's a quick example of Dickerson (Round 1 Hole 2 Idlewild 2021 Jomez Productions):

oAyhKD.gif

Matthew Orum, the crown jewel of pronounced wrist curl golf disc throwing, finishes his pre-shot routine by aiming like this with a (relatively) straight wrist. Here's a quick example from Round 2 Hole 3 Delaware 2021 Jomez Productions:

K-RyQb.gif

Calvin Heimburg seems to have a pretty minimalist pre-shot routine (I've never seen him play in person, though). No practice swing - he just goes to the front/sometimes only halfway down the tee pad and aims like this (Round 1 Hole 1 MVP Open 2021 Jomez Productions):

Nk7IJR.gif

Calvin is so quick that I could only find pre-shot routine coverage on Hole #1s for him. This is Round 3 Hole 1 Ledgestone 2021 Jomez Productions:

O8hLrS.gif

The point with Calvin being: it's an important enough pre-shot routine element to make the cut even with his quick play.

Again, aiming like this seems like a really obvious thing to do & almost not worth discussing, but I almost never see amateur players set up with the disc like this. I might be biased in this observation, though, because it is something that I did not do until recently. When I "aimed" my throw in my pre-shot routine, I did so with a closed hand/ wrist holding the disc at about 12 o'clock. Anecdotally, switching to a more open, arm extended down the target line, hand at about 2/3 o'clock aiming point in my pre-shot routine has helped me clean up some missing-to-the-right-of-intended-line issues.

What do y'all think? In your experience, is this actually a significant difference between professional and amateur pre-shot routines, similar to going-to-the-front-of-the-tee-pad? Or is it a very obvious thing that I did not see?

Obligatory, Simpsons did it first:

vLxZsk.gif

my pre routine is kinda like kevin jones minus the upper body part. i have been focusing on my leg work that i have a one step pre routine to make sure my feet go where i would like them to go (i am still doing standstill practice). i also feel my hips, pelvis, spine in how they all are gonna move together. i make sure or try to make sure my knees are bent, my feet are pointed where i want them to be, and my chest is bent over my toes

Here's another item to add to the "Things You See The Pros Do A Lot & The Amateurs Do Rarely" (in regards to aiming) list: they aim from a much more "open" position.

There's probably a better way to say that, but what I mean is, when they aim, generally, their throwing arm is extended out in front of them along the target line with the disc-holding hand in the neighborhood of 2/3 o'clock if the disc were a clock face. In other words, they aim from the actual release point/ finish position upon disc release. Seems pretty obvious, right. But how many amateurs do you see set up to throw like this?

Check out the Paul McBeth/ Heather Young/ Gavin Rathbun pre-shot routine GIFs already posted in this thread - practice swing followed by that "open", extended toward the target arm/ hand aim position. It's pretty pronounced in Eagle McMahon's pre-shot routine, and Chris Dickerson's, too. You can check it out in the GIFs of Eagle already posted in this thread, and here's a quick example of Dickerson (Round 1 Hole 2 Idlewild 2021 Jomez Productions):

oAyhKD.gif

Matthew Orum, the crown jewel of pronounced wrist curl golf disc throwing, finishes his pre-shot routine by aiming like this with a (relatively) straight wrist. Here's a quick example from Round 2 Hole 3 Delaware 2021 Jomez Productions:

K-RyQb.gif

Calvin Heimburg seems to have a pretty minimalist pre-shot routine (I've never seen him play in person, though). No practice swing - he just goes to the front/sometimes only halfway down the tee pad and aims like this (Round 1 Hole 1 MVP Open 2021 Jomez Productions):

Nk7IJR.gif

Calvin is so quick that I could only find pre-shot routine coverage on Hole #1s for him. This is Round 3 Hole 1 Ledgestone 2021 Jomez Productions:

O8hLrS.gif

The point with Calvin being: it's an important enough pre-shot routine element to make the cut even with his quick play.

Again, aiming like this seems like a really obvious thing to do & almost not worth discussing, but I almost never see amateur players set up with the disc like this. I might be biased in this observation, though, because it is something that I did not do until recently. When I "aimed" my throw in my pre-shot routine, I did so with a closed hand/ wrist holding the disc at about 12 o'clock. Anecdotally, switching to a more open, arm extended down the target line, hand at about 2/3 o'clock aiming point in my pre-shot routine has helped me clean up some missing-to-the-right-of-intended-line issues.

What do y'all think? In your experience, is this actually a significant difference between professional and amateur pre-shot routines, similar to going-to-the-front-of-the-tee-pad? Or is it a very obvious thing that I did not see?

Obligatory, Simpsons did it first:

vLxZsk.gif

Good post, and this is definitely something I forget to do during rounds. I think it speaks to the importance of building a pre shot routine in practice so it's second nature on the course. Reminds me of a post I made about the similarities of the push putt vs the thumb push out in the throw. SW talked about starting and finishing with his thumb pointed at the target

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138601

I do it like Calvin. Just a quick pump in the general direction. The key for me is just burning the actual target line into my head before throwing.

Check out Mason Ford's pre-swing footwork. Watch him pause to emphasize the lateral shift into the frontside of the swing frame without letting the back leg/ knee drop. The anti-squish-the-bug pre-swing routine.

CenNKX.gif

From Hole #1 at Veteran's Park Open 2021: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TROabqQ-ayQ

For anybody struggling with shifting from behind/ bug squishing, this is a great pre-shot routine to practice/ model.

Check out Mason Ford's pre-swing footwork. Watch him pause to emphasize the lateral shift into the frontside of the swing frame without letting the back leg/ knee drop. The anti-squish-the-bug pre-swing routine.

I finally understand how useful that is since SW22 is giving me an overhaul. I'm going to start trying this at the tee. And man I can't get over how clean and smooth Mason's form is.

There was this little clip on Reddit (sorry I don't have a more original link) from the start of Simon's white hot Jonesboro Rd2.

I've seen many others, and Simon doesn't always do this one, but I really like this pre-shot routine. He's got that minimalistic x-step w/ the rhythm and rock, and a nice, wide, full swing into follow through that is in full contact with the ground beneath him. It telegraphs a full smash.

I was playing with it a bit this morning and it really helped set the tone for rhythm & transmitting ground forces into a shoulder-led swing today.

Justin Bunnell with the Dingle Arm Routine, also one the OG guys I modeled my form from, and interesting I've never seen him do a pre-shot routine before.

Oh that's a bummer, the image is gone.
I play with Justin quite often. He's a super dude.

Bend your knees and hips and swivel/shake your booty a little before moving targetward.

SocraDeez also talked about dynamic posture and booty pop, complete with some pointers to me involving Eli Manning.

Little movement habits like these are helpful because they can help you cue more natural movement, and this week I picked up a couple in my preshot routine. I especially recommend them if you struggle with mobility or stiffness issues in the lower body, and it's good general wisdom.

Booty shakin' and poppin'
Here's Eli Manning shakin' it while fleecing my grad alma mater's football program:

fKkDNUB.gif

baNRnD5.gif

Kyle Berkshire pops up around here sometimes. Notice how he rocks his body with some booty action, then finds firm vertical ground contact with the stomp forward, and brings it right into his rear stomp and backswing to commit the shot. Also watch that booty twerk & pop after he plants:

IJ7Gca1.gif

KJUSA is a bouncy dude and great to watch for preshot action, especially in how he moves his feet and booty action in dynamic posture. He's feeling the music whether he's teeing off or putting. These three are not great gifs but look for the booty.

FamousSeparateCat-max-1mb.gif

BlissfulMatureGuernseycow-max-1mb.gif

MetallicFeistyArachnid-max-1mb.gif

And you can really appreciate the shuffle and booty shake before he tees off on a full send:

rCOwliv.gif

Don't worry, here's the full SMASH

MsErziq.gif

In the pre-shot, you can exaggerate it like cheeky Eli or wiggle and stomp like Berkshire and shrink it down more like KJ or whomever.

Shimmy the feet and booty, feel the bounce, and keep moving into your shot.

Also, never forget:

Hjalte is a great disc golfer, seen him play a few times in real life and he has the potential to be in the mix on the pro tour (biased since he's danish too). He throws FAR.

But.. the guy is absolutely spastic in his pre shot routine, full ocd driven.

Latest posts