• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Hips

Seems like another season of ruining my game overthinking technique.:D
I can replicate the "falling/dropping" into the plant and what not when just doing these drills but once I am actually playing/throwing it becomes way more natural to just brace into my leg horizontally and thinking about pole vaulting / ice hockey slap shot instead of doing the "falling move". Just...Letting the body take over.
It feels natural, gets the results done and best of it all its way more automatic and I can concentrate on the lines Im looking to throw and stepping safely on uneven surface instead of treating disc golf as rocket science.

To me that is what happens when Calvin Heimburg is throwing.. Or Eagle or...Well, most pros.
If we look at Albert Tamm throwing here, to me it looks as he is just "running into his plant and coiling"..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozMnUC5txFU&t=59s&ab_channel=TicklingChainsDiscGolf

Or as we can see from Calvin, to me it seems more like just stopping the forward momentum, nothing else.
I throw my best at the very beginning of a season, because I just throw and play disc golf. Then I start wondering if I could throw further by doing changes to my technique and disc golf stops being fun for me.:D

Attachments

• calvin.jpg
    calvin.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
There is a bit of downward movement on Alberts throw sure, but that happens naturally as his brace leg is on an angle thus shorter than his last step on his left leg. Or is there something I am missing here?
I understand the concept of door frame drill, I can feel the force but how does it translate to actual throwing when the brace leg is way ahead of your butt?

What kind of throws are we talking about with these distances? Just a useless toss into a field, or actual, deliberate golf lines? Because I really think I disagree with saying that a 500' throw is still halfway ghetto if its the latter.

We could cross-post this back to can anyone throw 500'? I think the increased number of exceptional body types at the top of the game is starting to skew perceptions and expectations. These topics are still some of my favorites.

It's like if you took the average dad (whatever that is) out to the ballpark and had him play the pitching speed game. He'd probably throw 50-55mph. How much time would it take for him to learn to throw 90mph? Could he ever get there if he didn't start early in life? What about 60, 70, or 80 mph? Place your bet. What would you want to know before placing it?

There are still a lot of high-performers on tour who are throwing 70mph/~500' of distance & honed for golf lines. Most of those people have a few things in addition to their form going on for them. I include Bradley Williams here, who has developed a bit of a pre-fatherhood 'dad bod' this year, but moves well and has very good levers and IMO elite tier form. To my eye, the 550'-600'+ crowd are all truly exceptional body types in one way or another and move very well and athletically. They are on the quick, coordinated, flexible end of the spectrum and most of them started young and/or were good at several relevant sports. They all also have thousands of hours of practice after their form was already good, usually around other people who have been through it too.

I thought this article on measurement & MLB pitch speed was interesting: https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/the-measure-of-a-fastball-has-changed-over-the-years/

And this comment about age, practice, and throw speed. Starting young is important:
https://survivalfreedom.com/how-fast-can-the-average-person-throw-a-baseball/

Seems like another season of ruining my game overthinking technique.:D
I can replicate the "falling/dropping" into the plant and what not when just doing these drills but once I am actually playing/throwing it becomes way more natural to just brace into my leg horizontally and thinking about pole vaulting / ice hockey slap shot instead of doing the "falling move". Just...Letting the body take over.
It feels natural, gets the results done and best of it all its way more automatic and I can concentrate on the lines Im looking to throw and stepping safely on uneven surface

Like SW and despite appearance I actually believe thinking too much is usually a bad thing. I just think a lot and write fast. FWIW, I actually think a lot less when throwing now. From a coaching POV, learning and teaching how to move is the goal. I've built up so much automatic memory from drills and throws that my own burden to improve is starting to skew to fitness and smart practice and pushing around one piece of form at a time and then tweaking again (with help, of course). But for whatever reason I find the optimizing problem even more fascinating than ever intellectually. I just vent what I'm thinking about between throwing sessions on the forum to save myself from throwing too much and in the hopes that at least 1 other person is either entertained or benefits haha.

instead of treating disc golf as rocket science.

To me that is what happens when Calvin Heimburg is throwing.. Or Eagle or...Well, most pros.
If we look at Albert Tamm throwing here, to me it looks as he is just "running into his plant and coiling"..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozMnUC5txFU&t=59s&ab_channel=TicklingChainsDiscGolf

Or as we can see from Calvin, to me it seems more like just stopping the forward momentum, nothing else.
I throw my best at the very beginning of a season, because I just throw and play disc golf. Then I start wondering if I could throw further by doing changes to my technique and disc golf stops being fun for me.:D

I think there are more than a few differences between rocket science and disc golf mechanics. Whatever the case, I do think it's hard to find any given player's "ideal" form. People like me and Sidewinder (whose coattails I mostly ride) appear to be so obsessed with the details that we can save you some of the thinking part. I was prepared for Tamm or Calvin to come up.

qJ0iQ9S.png

yvapPCg.png

Tamm is what you get when you take a lot of Bradley Williams and a little of Drew Gibson and put it in the body of a Titan built like a trebuchet. Tamm is something like 6'4'' or more, is exceptionally long-levered, looks physically very strong, and moves incredibly agile and coordinated for someone his size. Calvin is still getting the drop despite an even more closed off, nearly full-tilt sidesprint approach. Remember that what these long guys have in legs means that their hops usually look like a smaller proportion of their height, and unlike Gurthie they can get more of a leverage multiplier off their drive leg without hopping as much relative to their height or leaning back as much (like Gurthie) to extend the transition move. But what they all have in common is a nearly free-flying transition move through the X, and they have found their optimal horizontal/vertical drop. If you look at my little green bars on Calvin and Heimburg, that's at least several inches apiece. All of these smashers are finding their sweet spot gravity, momentum, + leverage multipliers.

There is a bit of downward movement on Alberts throw sure, but that happens naturally as his brace leg is on an angle thus shorter than his last step on his left leg. Or is there something I am missing here?
I understand the concept of door frame drill, I can feel the force but how does it translate to actual throwing when the brace leg is way ahead of your butt?

The thing that many people might be missing is that the brace leg is actually not way ahead of your butt if you think of it as a dynamic posture alignment and not just the leg and the butt. The reason that Tamm or Heimburg or Gibson etc. look like that is because there's still a horizontal momentum to brace against - it's never just purely vertical. Personally this was easier to understand once I started to do it, and it changed my entire perception of the throw mechanics. Basically what you want to learn to do is exactly what happens against the door frame, but take it dynamically to find that sweet spot for your own horizontal/vertical momentum. But how do you do that?

This started to get a little easier for me doing things like the seabas22 Kick the Can Drill learning to move and drop my entire body in on the braced tilt - which is exactly what all these big guns are doing. This is a deceptively dynamic, powerful move. It still feels like leading with your Ass even though it looks less like it. It feels much less effortful than jamming the brace leg into the ground like a spear and trying to swing around it. You are landing directly on it (briefly) and swinging - in the braced tilt.

I was surprised how many bad posture habits popped back immediately when I started doing that Kick the Can drill - most of our bodies do not want to accelerate that fast in aggressive posture to abruptly plant and throw. My old tip and lean came back almost right away resisting the change and does as soon as I start to tire. But however you learn it, you need to get everything stacked up in a way to "ride down the ramp" and commit that swing force not blowing body parts out.

My advice if you want to master it is to take it slow, but there is such a thing as too slow too. I am still only throwing at 70% again working to optimize this part of my swing. I have more power than ever at that level of momentum while it feels like I'm not working at all. I tried only a couple swings at 80% and every one of them was the most powerful I've had at that level. But I've made the mistake of getting ahead of myself and backed up to keep massaging it at 70% - with changes in potential power I also constantly find that I have new body conditioning to do, and I don't want to get hurt again. On the other hand, if I only throw at 60%, I don't have enough acceleration to force myself to learn the new move. My target is to be scaling the move up to 80%, and whatever power I get there is what I'll do for golf rounds. If I want the occasional Hail Mary power I can reach for it but I fear I'm getting "too old for that ****" already.

- The "off-season" is the best time to work on things. If you are committed to working on your form, then you can not worry about scoring/performance in competition short term - be prepared to suck or be wild for a few months. If you go back into "competition mode" too early you will likely revert/regress back to old bad habits. Your "training mode" must be settled in before you can go back into "competition mode" and progress.

I really do understand what you're saying here. I have been in the "off-season" for 1.5 years now. Ezra Aderhold took 2 years to work on his form before going on tour. I have been only committed to taking the "red pill" so far, but I might like to see what I learn from competing this summer. My advice: I have completely separated "scoring" rounds from "mechanics" rounds and it helps.

If you didn't catch it, Eagle's booty lead from a different angle and a lovely pitcher cross-reference (SW, couldn't find: who's the pitcher?)

attachment.php

Eagle and pitcher shift & drop letting the booty mAss lead to do some work. When each of those guys land, the plant leg is helping support & add leverage to swing the booty and body through into the release. The action of dropping & redirecting with the booty leading as part of the Buttwipe is a big component of throw power.

Does Garrett Gurthie not translate as much horizontally due to his verticality? Or is it still similar to Calvin or even Eagle?

It seems difficult to transfer a vertical force into moving a disc horizontally. Calvin is stopping his forward momentum with his brace and the horizontal component of the brace force is producing an equal and opposite reaction in his arm to his disc. And the offset of his arm to his brace leg is speeding up his rotation at release (creating a moment).

I don't see how a vertical ground force can contribute as well into moving a disc forward now that I'm thinking about the physics a little bit.

I tried to reply but I got some kind of "sorry, you have been blocked" message when I went to post. Maybe DGCR has had its fill. Uh oh!

Finally go this to post after a ton of seemingly random edits. Dunno what's wrong.

I've been thinking about this a lot too but might have a slightly different suggestion for how to think about it when integrating the physics. Here's a long but hopefully well-integrated post. I think this all consistent with what I believe SW is trying to teach people when he said the Swing Plane is Not Straight and Flat. Time will tell if it's right or not.

This became much easier for me to think about once I thought about throwing discs as a ballistic parabolic process like his Apex photos in the first post there. I'll compare Calvin and GG since they're nearly polar opposites on the Vertical/Horizontal continuum in terms of X-step, but they can also help you understand what is fundamentally the same about their form. Also why Eagle and GG look so similar side by side for the actual swing part of their throw even though they get there in fairly different ways.

GG tends to add a very big horizontal component when he powers up too. Here's a wide open shot:

But the guy also has control over whether he moves horizontal or vertical too, and more than most players. Here is a lower ceiling throw. He gets a little more horizontal overall even though his form is mechanically the same:

There are even clips out there of him bouncing more than once and crow hopping before he gets to the last X-step. I think the guy has been playing with vertical and horizontal forces for a long time and enjoys a very powerful body. He solved his height and lever limits with it and became one of the farthest throwers ever. I don't think he could do what he does without a body that can do things like this.

The trick for both GG and Calvin is that when they land, they convert as much as possible of that shift energy and compression into the ground up their chain. Both of their forward horizontal momentum stops on a dime, as does the vertical once that plant leg starts to work. You need to think not just about the horizontal and vertical components (accelerating along the ground and with gravity), but also the power of the leg resisting the ground when they plant. SW noted elsewhere that Markus Kallstrom (very vertical dude) measured ~1000lbs at impact on force plates. That's all potential force that can get into the disc if you make sure it's not destroying your body whether you generate it horizontal or vertical or somewhere in between. All players are somewhere in between, but increasingly more horizontal on tour with longer body types (started gathering more on Cole Redalen and am learning more there too on the consistency front).

There's the notion that pros have the same chain but different emphases (like our other chatter about swings & pulls). GG's move reminds me more of a one arm olympic hammer thrower overall using the full mass of his body in harmony with gravity, and he even is leaning away in transition to help him elongate his arc through his shoulder and arm, and basically flies all the way over his x-hop and drive leg to avoid needing to use it as a lever with his shorter legs. It's even more remarkable each time I watch it because that move is pretty rare even among top players. I can't do it. Calvin is more like bull rushing in like a running back directly and stopping on a dime lateraling the ball (disc) as hard as he can straight ahead. If I try like Calvin I never get as much power as dropping with more downshift. I don't have the levers and do not move as well horizontally along the ground. And I was getting hurt.

This is also why from a learning perspective I think it's good to play around with both forces (carefully) while also trying to the swing mechanics. Practically, since I can't move exactly like either GG or Calvin, I don't try to anymore. But I learn from both of them. There are theoretical sweetspots for me (and you and everyone else) somewhere so I jiggle it around now. But what I pay a lot of attention to in my own form is if I'm getting that smooth transfer through the hips in good posture. That is what you don't want to spoil no matter how you move, and the downshift is always a part of the high-level move (even if it is a smaller part for the long guys).

^Also, meant to say but had to delete:

I do not think you're wrong about learning to convert the form styles & forces into disc trajectories, at least not at first. For example, GG will tend to get more potential or unintentional vertical spray than Calvin. Calvin has more of a risk of horizontal spray, but I think the way he developed his leading extremely-ass-first in the whole approach helps him mitigate that. Obviously they're both so good they've got it pretty reined in, but you can look around to test that observation. I can tell you from my own experience that I did find it initially easier to make low shots from a more horizontal form. But my form and swing plane were pretty flat too - not optimal. As my form developed and I realized how to get the downshift more into my swing, I got more out of allowing the disc trajectory to start higher from the ground (which putters & mids tend to like) and then gradually bringing the arc down to driver heights (since I don't throw 600 ft and I'm not GG). You can see that parabolic height effect directly in Simon's video. I like starting at his 60mph:

This just dropped into my feed. Coiling into the back hip to get tension. Also, a little about IR and ER dominance.

I'm working on my form and I've noticed I'm generating very little power from my hips. As I understand it, the sequence is something like:
1) Front foot lands simultaneous to completing the reach back
2) With the front foot planted, the hips start to rotate around that axis
3) The rotation starts to turn the torso, which pulls the arm forward towards the chest

This is the area I'm trying to work out. Do I want my torso rotation to lag behind my hips? As in, should I make a conscience effort (especially early on in field work) to activate the hips before rotating and pulling the arm into my chest?
For context, I've been playing 4 or so years and my backhand still struggles to break 300' with a fairway driver.

Many players are missing the counterrotation and shift off the rear side like riding the bull or door frame drills that completes the loading of the backswing. They don't get the core and lats loaded up fully in that move and miss a lot of the power of the weight shift.

I've not done a form check video in awhile. I'll film one and then post it in my thread. Might share the thread link here when I do. Always get great advice here.

Many players are missing the counterrotation and shift off the rear side like riding the bull or door frame drills that completes the loading of the backswing. They don't get the core and lats loaded up fully in that move and miss a lot of the power of the weight shift.

I think I'm on board with vertical vs horizontal now. The vertical force pushes your hip back to add to rotation. But I still think horizontal is more direct route to the disc which is probably why pros seem to favor it more.

From a physics standpoint, I struggle to conceptualize the counter rotation and the door frame drill. When you watch a lot of pros (excluding Eagle) they don't seem to coil or build tension up through their legs. It only looks like hips vs shoulder tension. I say this because the disc golf throw involves movement. The second you start moving down the teepad forward, it becomes difficult to hit a good doorframe position that seems powerful because you can't apply a good backwards force while moving forward. You also will lose any leg tension you have created before your plant foot hits the ground. Also, some pros move fast enough down the teepad that there is simply no time to coil off the rear leg. With golf I can understand it since you don't move much. In the back swing you can coil your whole rear side and not lose the tension since your feet both remain planted during the swing.

Calvin might be an outlier in disc golf form, but it seems that he simply generates a ton of forward momentum and focuses on stopping at the brace and using that brace force to sling the disc. I see the same thing in Anthon and Chris Dickerson. I hardly think that they can focus on many things while they basically run down the teepad.

Brychanus; said:
You can see that parabolic height effect directly in Simon's video. I like starting at his 60mph:

A little bit off the topic of hips, but at 40 and 50 mph he doesn't really reach back. His arm stays bent, almost like right pec drill, body turns just a little. That sure looks effortless. Then at 60 his arm does straighten for an instant at full reachback.

Latest posts