• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

Whoa, easy dude. I never positioned his success as a factor of solely his personality. I just said in my own opinion that Nike would be a better company fit than Adidas for him because of the way he presents his own brand.

For a couple responses now I don't think you are reading what I am writing, not all of it anyway, or you are intentionally trying to misrepresent what I am saying. I never accused you of taking the position that his success was solely based on his personality. I wasn't referencing your opinion on Nike being a better company fit than Adidas. I don't know why you bring it up in responding to me, because again that is not what I was referencing when responding to you and I think I was pretty clear on that. I don't know why you are saying these things. It is very weird. Like you are having an argument with someone other than me.

To recap a bit, you said that Paul was the most marketable commodity in the sport currently. I responded to that particular point by not necessarily disagreeing with it, but by also pointing out that he is the most marketed. To which you responded:

I hear this argument, but it borders sounding like you think Paul is having it all done for him.

Which isn't true, I never said or sounded like that. And so from that you very much are trying to make me look like a naysayer, so this is a crock:

I also didn't accuse you of naysaying, I was just relating my experience that I thought you would find interesting. It's not that serious or contentious.

DGPT doesn't have the prestige of the PDGA NT's and Majors. DGWT had prestige because it used NT's and Majors strategically for that purpose, but the tour couldn't even sustain it for their standalones (La Mirada and Konopiste). I will bet that Konopiste Open has more big names now that it's a PDGA Major than before.

None of this has to do with my perceived proximity to the pros. I'm just evaluating the state of the game.

Again, it is like you are not reading what I am writing, like you are skimming over it.

So once again lets recap. Go back to post 421, you can read the post of yours that I quoted and my response if you like. You talked about sponsorship and what you thought or Paul thought needed to do to catch the eye of more sponsors, and specifically that you thought he needed to win a major this year. I then tried to make the point that for viewers (and thus sponsors) that prestige is different than what you might think it is. I think this is the case because you hang with the pros, and what they view as prestigious is different from what viewers think is prestigious. But I've already made that case and it hasn't gotten through to you I see. I don't know any simpler way to put it and I hope you don't respond once again by trying to talk past me.

I would love to see how many shoes were sold with the disc golf promo code...

And how many of those will have warranty claims filed. Not meant to imply the shoes are low quality, but that disc golfers are probably the only demographic that files warranty claims on shoes.

I would love to see how many shoes were sold with the disc golf promo code...

Paul on the podcast said when the first announcement with Adidas posted they sold 840 pairs of shoes when they normally only sell 6-7 a day. He referenced last time they had a sale (assuming a promo code) they sold over a thousand. (hope I got those numbers right :thmbup:)

And how many of those will have warranty claims filed. Not meant to imply the shoes are low quality, but that disc golfers are probably the only demographic that files warranty claims on shoes.

I can file a warranty claim on these???? These were the worst disc golf shoes I ever bought

shoes are such an individual thing. I wore merrells for 20 years and spent the last 5 of those bitching about the decline in quality. i have had 2 pairs of salomons that were great when brand new but fell apart lickity split. for me the adidas are easily the best disc golf shoes i have ever owned. to each his own.

My swift R GTX shoes lasted about a year (I play 1x/week, maybe 1.5/week yearly average) and wore them around town and for some light hiking as well. The material will split at the end of the laces (start of toe) on both sides. If you look around at anyone that owns these for over a year or so you will see these same holes in the fabric. The rest of the shoe is great and has the rubber on the end of the toe has lasted well mostly stayed connected to the shoe fabric, but it's starting to do the standard separation disc golfers are used to. I think the material they use on these is too rigid, at least for disc golf. I freaking loved them, but I don't think I'll buy another pair unless they change to a more flexible fabric, that's still gortex of course.

That said, outside of heavier Merrells I've owned, nothing has really held up much more than a year. I hate heavy shoes, so I just tear up light ones. Disc golfers will rip through just about anything.

It astounds me that people think that, what are basically hiking shoes, should last for more than a year. The whole point of shoes is that they take the impact that our bodies would absorb if we were walking barefoot. That is a lot of abuse, even walking short flat courses. Add to that the torque from throwing, hills, rocks, rain, snow...etc... We are lucky that they last more than a couple months...

We bought Miquaith (14 year old that travels with us and plays) a new pair of Merrells last year and they lasted him about three months. I wasn't impressed at all. We bought him a pair of Keens this season and they have lasted the entire season. That said I then bought a pair of keens and they were no joke coming apart in like three weeks. I think I'm going to order Solomans for this season and see how that goes. So far the longest last pair I have had was the Adidas, but they don't make the model that I bought before. I think one thing is that disc golfers under estimate how rough this sport is on shoes. I think if you can get 9 months out of a pair and you play regularly, then that's pretty good.

It astounds me that people think that, what are basically hiking shoes, should last for more than a year. The whole point of shoes is that they take the impact that our bodies would absorb if we were walking barefoot. That is a lot of abuse, even walking short flat courses. Add to that the torque from throwing, hills, rocks, rain, snow...etc... We are lucky that they last more than a couple months...

The loops for the laces should not be falling off a month into use.

Could be operator error. I have a pair of keens that the waterproofing around the tongue failed on. But I pulled on the tongue once too hard and its probably why it failed. Sounds like someone was either tying their shoes too tight or was wearing shoes that are too small for their feet.

Or it could have been... sometimes... **** happens...

A good pair of hiking shoes should last 500-1000 miles. Assuming you play 3 rounds a week with these shoes and the course is 2 miles long including all the excess walking, that puts roughly 312 miles on the shoes in a year. And that's for dg only. Let's just double that for miscellaneous everyday use. That's still on the lower spectrum of how long they should last for a year. All I'm saying is if I'm spending $100 or more on a pair of shoes, I don't expect them to be worn through after just a few months, which these Adidas did.

When I bought keens for that price and they were wearing through after roughly 6 months, keen sent me a gift card for my purchase price to reimburse me. Now if Adidas did that, I'd be okay with that.

I am surprised not more shoes are made specifically for disc golf. I know only Haix (and even those, not sure if made for DG or just heavily marketed for us (in Finland that is)) and whatever that Lat64 shoe is (T-link?) I mean, if you got it right, it would be a sure seller even with a hefty pricetag I should think.

I am surprised not more shoes are made specifically for disc golf. I know only Haix (and even those, not sure if made for DG or just heavily marketed for us (in Finland that is)) and whatever that Lat64 shoe is (T-link?) I mean, if you got it right, it would be a sure seller even with a hefty pricetag I should think.

You could say any waterproof trail runner is made for disc golf, and we will never agree on which of them are best. Everyone's feet are different. Trail runners want the same thing disc golfers do (ultra-waterproof and ultra-durable)

You could say any waterproof trail runner is made for disc golf, and we will never agree on which of them are best. Everyone's feet are different. Trail runners want the same thing disc golfers do (ultra-waterproof and ultra-durable)

Except trail runner do not plant the same foot, hard, over and over on cement, like dg'ers do. or drag a toe across cement , if throwing forehand. I get your point though.

A good pair of hiking shoes should last 500-1000 miles. Assuming you play 3 rounds a week with these shoes and the course is 2 miles long including all the excess walking, that puts roughly 312 miles on the shoes in a year. And that's for dg only. Let's just double that for miscellaneous everyday use. That's still on the lower spectrum of how long they should last for a year. All I'm saying is if I'm spending $100 or more on a pair of shoes, I don't expect them to be worn through after just a few months, which these Adidas did.

When I bought keens for that price and they were wearing through after roughly 6 months, keen sent me a gift card for my purchase price to reimburse me. Now if Adidas did that, I'd be okay with that.

Does that 500-1k miles account for wear and tear from concrete tees? I hike and play DG in Keen Targhee Mids and love them for both applications. I think they would last longer as hikers than as hikers/DG dual use (with same amount of total miles) because of the pads but can't prove this. Have considered buying two pairs for exclusive use with each activity, but budget never seems to allow. In principle I support the "walk on as little pavement as possible" with hikers, but then reality hits.

Just bought first pair of IIIs after going through two pairs of IIs. Get 15-18 months out of them with some winter casual wear and snow shoveling thrown in.

Except trail runner do not plant the same foot, hard, over and over on cement, like dg'ers do. or drag a toe across cement , if throwing forehand. I get your point though.

Yup. The most comfortable shoe I've had for DG was a basic Dr Scholl's walking shoe. I only used them for afternoon rounds when it was dry. They last about three months before the 2-piece sole on the right shoe started disintegrating under the ball of the foot and I got about another 2months out of them before I got tired of getting rocks in my shoe, lol. I need to find a lefty that had those same shoe because the left one is still fine...