• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2018 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

How many big events have those 3 won in the last couple years? 2 or 3 combined? Being a great BH turnover player doesn't mean that you are throwing the right shot for the hole. Btw, MJ has a decent FH and throws it when the shot required calls for one.

A couple but 2 of them don't hit every NT or Major, but are always in the hunt. Winning and being capable of winning aren't the same thing.

If we're only talking about NT/major wins, no one in the field has more than a couple in the last few years if they aren't Wysocki or McBeth anyway.

Philo and MJ both have serviceable forehand. Never seen Cale throw one but his finishes at events he goes to speak for themselves I think.

He better hope that the AviarX3 is really overstable, because Innova doesn't produce an approach disc anything near as overstable as a Justice.

Gator is probably their closest but I would imagine Gibson may try using the Firebird where he would use his Justice before.

Viper, Whippet, Gator, Blizzard Pig, Hawg, FAF Firebird, Monster.

If you notice, I already highlighted probably the 2 top options, which you felt the need to repeat. FAF Firebird absolutely has the stability, but I wouldn't consider it an "approach" disc and the Gator just doesn't quite have that massive overstability of Zone, Justice, Harp. The lower profile of those 3, put them in a different class for me. I will give you props for the Viper mention tho, Calvin Heimburg uses a champion Viper pretty well as I recall.

I am mostly an Innova thrower, but I'm not blind to the fact that other manufacturers have a superior low profile OS approach disc for me.

Ricky throws hyzer flips like 30' into the air. There's a reason he does this, because Lat64-produced molds are known for having 2 things in common - lots of turn, and lots of glide. If there's a low ceiling he favors his FH so he can get the release lower and buy himself room. Drew's game is completely different. There's only one player that I know of across all of the "trilogy" teams that comes close to his power (James Proctor).

IMO you don't choose your bag based on how far you can throw it, that's just an end result. You have to take into account release angle, height, and RPM out of the hand. Drew is just doing this for his career. IMO he properly thanked the company, admitted that his lack of success was his own fault, and moved on.

(before I get flamed, I know not ALL molds are like that, but it's a common result. The opposite would be Discmania who struggles to release molds with enough turn for most casual players)
Hey I'm not flaming anybody. He can go back to Innova if he likes their stamps better for all I care. I just don't think his excuse is really justified, in terms of being in his best interest. His power might prefer Innova over DD but his power isn't really translating to wins anyway. He'd be better off IMO working on his weaknesses than playing to his strengths (power), with his consensus weaknesses being:
Drew Gibson is a talented guy with a not very complete game, outside of his power.

...and learns to throw his FH better

May not be needed, but Drew isn't exactly known for his touch or ability to power down.
So what's going to teach him better, his Innova crutches or discs that will keep him honest? Just food for thought.

There are a bunch of variables that come into play other than left to right that dictates whether the rhbh turnover or the rhfh is the better shot. No doubt you could throw the turnover on any left to right shot, but in a tournament the player who has the most tools under their belt is limiting the chance for a mistake.

If you notice, I already highlighted probably the 2 top options, which you felt the need to repeat. FAF Firebird absolutely has the stability, but I wouldn't consider it an "approach" disc and the Gator just doesn't quite have that massive overstability of Zone, Justice, Harp. The lower profile of those 3, put them in a different class for me. I will give you props for the Viper mention tho, Calvin Heimburg uses a champion Viper pretty well as I recall.

I am mostly an Innova thrower, but I'm not blind to the fact that other manufacturers have a superior low profile OS approach disc for me.

I put firebird and monster there becuase I use a firebird as an approach disc instead of a gator or any overstable putter.

Factory Store Champ Vipers are quite nice. About the same OS as a flattop Glow Gator, but I can get a few more feet out of it and it feels better to FH

I put firebird and monster there becuase I use a firebird as an approach disc instead of a gator or any overstable putter.

Which underscores my point that this slot is lacking for Innova. Although I love sticking my FAF Opaque Firebirds next to the pin, if I'm inside 200 I would rather reach for a zone.

There are plenty of OS Gators out there, especially if we are talking about it being used as an approach disc.

Yep, I've thrown a Champ Glow Beaded Gator that was like a Justice to me. Maybe if I had Drew's 600' or power they would show differences, but I don't so to me they would be hard to throw over 250' I bet hah.

I still think if you're a top pro with Innova and you can go through their factory of discs I bet you can find any stability out there. Some of them might be freaks of a mold, but we all know there's enough disc variation that you can end up with anything if you look hard enough or you're an unfortunate new player buying your first premium plastic disc that turned out to be +1/4 instead of -2/3.

Flat Top Gators are very OS.

That is all.

Yeah I found the flat top, ring-of-gator gators from the factory store to be just as OS as the Justice. They're just so damn expensive....

Drew won't have any trouble finding OS discs in every slot with Innova

Which underscores my point that this slot is lacking for Innova. Although I love sticking my FAF Opaque Firebirds next to the pin, if I'm inside 200 I would rather reach for a zone.

It is Millennium but a Mortar seems quite OS.

If you can find a puddle top Mortar they're nearly identical to a puddle top zone, maybe the mortar has a tiny more profile, but pretty much the same disc. I carry a puddle top zone for FH and a pop top frontline x mortar for backhand. They are two sides to the same coin.

Jordan Castro to DD if no one has mentioned it before. According to reddit anyways...