• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The Inevitable 2022 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread

When there is this much smoke in the DG community, there's certainly fire. Ridge Roller also already leaked the details and promptly deleted it. Stole the DD thunder and got people talking about RR.

While tempted, I'm not going to try to make bets for personal gain, like another member here has done who had insider information. :D

But, you just did exactly that.

Confirmation is necessary, 'scientifically' speaking. We all know what spouting garbage and lies does…

But yeah, good for Rick (if it's true)! I think a shorter contract is actually a better way to go. Can reassess in 4 years and maybe make more than Paul!

Just curious--for those who have been following the sport longer than I have, when a player changes sponsors, does this tend to increase or decrease the value of the existing signature molds for the prior companies?

Just curious--for those who have been following the sport longer than I have, when a player changes sponsors, does this tend to increase or decrease the value of the existing signature molds for the prior companies?

It usually seems to decrease the value. When Paul left Innova, nobody seemed to care about the Roc3 anymore. Prices dropped over 25 percent for his 2x and 3x discs. Some tour series discs become scarce because they're no longer made in a particular plastic, but usually those buyers just move on to the new hot item.

Confirmation is necessary, 'scientifically' speaking. We all know what spouting garbage and lies does…

But yeah, good for Rick (if it's true)! I think a shorter contract is actually a better way to go. Can reassess in 4 years and maybe make more than Paul!

I certainly can't speak to the specifics of Paul's contract and how iron clad it is, but a long term one is far more valuable than a short term one. We have no way of knowing when these guys are going to drop off in production. And the number of talented young players could easily overtake them within 4 years. Sure, Ricky might want a shorter contract to "bet on himself" and that contracts will be even higher in 4 years. I would take the Bobby Bonilla contract if given the opportunity (it is totally worth looking up the greatest pro athlete contract ever, despite not being the highest paying, if you are not familiar what i am referring to)

I certainly can't speak to the specifics of Paul's contract and how iron clad it is, but a long term one is far more valuable than a short term one. We have no way of knowing when these guys are going to drop off in production. And the number of talented young players could easily overtake them within 4 years. Sure, Ricky might want a shorter contract to "bet on himself" and that contracts will be even higher in 4 years. I would take the Bobby Bonilla contract if given the opportunity (it is totally worth looking up the greatest pro athlete contract ever, despite not being the highest paying, if you are not familiar what i am referring to)

I did not know that about BB. Dang… that'll work for him for a long while haha.

I guess I was thinking Rick is still pretty young himself, and hasn't shown much for slowing down. As such, I could really see him maybe taking a next step, and maybe a longer contract, after this one. He did win his world titles with some trilogy plastic!

I'm sure in 4 years, many players may be under some pretty nice contracts, like you insinuate. I won't pretend to know I actually understand contract logistics. Heh.

I have Bobby Bonilla rookie cards. Trading them for PMB Kraits.

Gotta think of Paul's deal and the alleged one Ricky is getting for the purposes they independently serve.

Paul's move to DC was to set himself up with a channel to make money in dg after he is finished playing dg at an elite level. He had the foresight to make that happen when everybody else was just trying to make enough to not have to be the "guy on the couch" every weekend. A long term deal was in his best interest, he's locking in with his business partner after his playing days are done. Sure a shorter term deal might have put him on the free market much sooner and the next deal would've been more money annually, but that's not the game he's playing. He's in it for the long haul.

I kinda feel bad for Ricky, he's a great player but is that guy that every sport has…would be the best but happens to be in the same era as an all time great. Ricky is Payton Manning where Paul is Tom Brady. Paul seems to have had his vision of himself within dg for quite a while, and as much as he was working on his game he was also working on his dg career…which involves much more than being a sponsored pro. He was out there making it happen. And now we all expect Ricky to follow suit just because he's good at playing dg also. You can tell he's getting a lot more comfortable in his own skin. If he just wants to focus his time and effort on solely playing and winning a shorter term deal makes sense. Ride the growth wave and cash in more frequently.

This is a totally unfair comparison... unless McBeth has been busted for cheating several times that I'm not aware of (?)

Just meaning that Manning was great but Brady is who people will talk about from that generation.

Same dynamic with Paul and Ricky.